Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)  (Read 21394 times)
g

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 05:08:02 AM »

Marc,

Found it, funny never thought to look there  Wink, just realised i was running an older version  Shocked.

Keep up the great work.

g

AndyT

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 05:57:37 PM »

Marc, I'm really impressed with ImageIngester.  It's really fitting in well now with my workflow and saving me time.  Here's to its continued development, it's very much appreciated.
chris1516

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 08:37:31 AM »

Brillant Marc !
Thanks for that software. I came to this forum to ask how to script (automate) Bridge and IFC - and discovered ImageIngester ...

Just two ideas/wishes:

- Why can I select a card only ? Let me have the choice to choose a folder as well, please.
This would ensure the safety of the originals (and therefore lower my heart rate when clicking "Start" - especially for as long as I read the red "Beta" ...) and would let me process older pics as well.

- As an image name I'd like to see an option for a sequential number where I can choose the number of digits and the starting point - pretty much what IFC offers.

Thanks a lot,
chris
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:39:09 AM by chris1516 » Logged

I use the current versions of Aperture, Photoshop CS2, QuickTime 7, MacOS Tiger on a Macbook Pro 17" 2.16GHz 2Gb RAM with at least 20Gb free space.
Currently I am in the process of giving up iView MediaPro 3 in order to switch completely to Aperture.
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 09:45:19 PM »

Chris--

An option to choose a folder is easy enough, but the problem is the image files in that folder might have names that depart from the DCF standard, and then certain features of ImageIngester (e.g., using the sequence number from the file name) wouldn't work. This isn't an insurmountable problem, just something that makes the feature more complex than it seems. It's on my list, however.

I've had more requests for additional flexibility in the naming than anything else. (And, there's much more flexibility now than there was when I released the first version.) The sequence number is one of the most requested features. It's on my list, too.

Thanks for these "ideas/wishes"! I'll continue to evolve ImagIngester over the next few months, and I hope I can find a way to work in what you've suggested.

--Marc

chris1516

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »

Thanks, Marc, for the quick reply.

... An option to choose a folder is easy enough, but the problem is the image files in that folder might have names that depart from the DCF standard, ...

Ah, I understand.
But having that (folder) option for files that have been copied straight from the card and not been renamed ?
ImageIngester could just ignore others, couldn't it ?

I am looking foreward to the sequential numbering option in a future update.

Brillant work!
chris

I use the current versions of Aperture, Photoshop CS2, QuickTime 7, MacOS Tiger on a Macbook Pro 17" 2.16GHz 2Gb RAM with at least 20Gb free space.
Currently I am in the process of giving up iView MediaPro 3 in order to switch completely to Aperture.
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 08:27:35 AM »

Marc,

Just downloaded ImageIngester and am going to give it a try in place of IFC.

A few things I really like:

1) Verify-only option for Raws (I like to do my ACR adjustments up front first)

2) Reading directly from the memory card

3) Independent app, not a Bridge script

4) Auto Ingest & Auto Eject

5) Ability to launch Bridge afterwards

A few things I'd like to see added:

1) Make the Backup image folder optional (I do mirror backups (using a Backup utility) of my entire WorkingFiles folder structure nightly and with one-touch capability; therefore this is not needed for me and forces me to make another external copy).

2) Ability to create your own sequencing like you mentioned you were working on above.  I would use that to circumvent the 9999-1 roll-over problem.  Just make sure it starts the ingestion/sequencing with the first file captured.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 08:40:38 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 08:47:19 AM »

Good suggestions, Dan... making the backup optional should be easy (it will still be made, since ImageIngester needs it internally, but ImageIngester would treat it as temporary and delete it).

What did you mean by "Just make sure it starts the ingestion/sequencing with the first file captured."?

--Marc

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 09:55:45 AM »

Marc,

In a roll-over situation, one file would have the number 9999 and the next one would be 0001.  When re-numbering, you would want the sequencer to start with the 9999 file (i.e the first file captured) re-naming it to 0001 (or whatever you choose) followed by re-naming the 0001 to 0002 and so forth....make sense?

Also, it would be kind of nice if you provided the option to run a DOS command (I'm on PC) in place of the "Choose Backup" folder option.  That way the user could run his own backup job/utility at the time of ingestion....just a thought ;-).

Dan
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 10:00:30 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 10:33:05 AM »

Dan--

I think I know what you mean: The sequencing numbers must be monotonic for the images in a single ingestion. In other words, roll-over must be BETWEEN ingestions.

That right?

Regarding backup: I have always thought of ImageIngester's backup as what Peter has called, I think, "temporary backup." The real backup comes along later, long after ImageIngester has completed. The purpose of temporary backup is just to allow the card to be cleared--it isn't safe to do that until there are two backups on two different devices. That's why I haven't put much work into getting the backup names to be the same. The chance of ImageIngester's temporary backup ever being accessed is extremely small.

However, your idea of allowing an abitrary user-defined procedure to be run after ingestion is still a very good one!

--Marc

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 01:24:34 PM »

Marc,

Yes, roll-over must be between ingestions....you are correct.

Regarding backups:  If you just make the backup folder optional that should be sufficient.  I can also run my own backup job afterwards, but it would be kind of nice to have the built-in DOS command capability I think.  I actually backup my WorkingFiles folders after each ingestion using a mirror job.  I'm not sure, but I believe Peter does the same thing.  I just have one backup job for my WorkingFiles folders that also takes care of the initial ingestion folder.   My WorkingFiles structure gets backed up nightly as well.  It is not the same job as the primary archive backup, that may only happen weekly.  Peter doesn't really go into details on the WorkingFiles structure in the book, but we have discussed it a length in this forum.  For some more info, check out this thread http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=66.0.

Dan

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 01:44:42 PM »

Marc,
I have been playing with II in the last week or so, and I really like it.  The biggest problem for me is foldering.  I really like to do my download into folders that are named for the starting and ending images, rather than the date, for two reasons.

The first is that it lets me know that everything has been downloaded. Folders look like this for me

0001-0246
0247-0589
0590-0823

This makes a quick visual scan of the folders possible.  First I look to see that there are no number skips in the folders, next I can check to see that the first and last files are in each folder. 

The second issue has to do with the number of images that end up in a day folder.  I shot 1245 pictures the other day, and downloading these to a single day folder would make something a bit too large for Bridge.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 02:24:12 PM »

Peter,

Couple of questions:

1) If Marc were to put a "Make New Folder" button in the lower left corner of the "Browse for Folder" dialog (allowing you to name the folders) like it is for IFC, would that solve this problem?  Of course for a large shoot you may still have to split it into more than one folder manually afterwards.

2) I seem to have forgotten this part in the book.  I'm re-reading the book now so I should come to it shortly.  I'm assuming you rename those folders again to something more appropriate once you've validated the ingestion and started moving them through the WorkingFies folders?

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 02:36:45 PM »

Dan,
1.  that would work.  I would rather have it be automatic though...

2. Page 155, I show how I use these folder names.  I'm not sure I talk about folder renaming in the book, but here's what I do.  After looking at the file in Bridge, I will do some kind of natural grouping of the images and put them in folders named for the subject matter.  For instance, in the shoot II did earlier this week, the subdivision folders were for each situation (some details shots were grouped together in a folder called Details).
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »

Yes, in order to preserve it's turn-key operation, automatic would be preferable.

And yes, I understand about how you do your grouping and renaming now, thanks.

Dan

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: