Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:19:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: More about ImageIngester (features, and a little essay)  (Read 21392 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 11, 2006, 05:39:55 PM »

Thanks to all of you who provided feedback!

There's a new version: It now senses when a card is inserted and can ingest automatically, and it also ejects the card. So, while I thought one-click ingestion with backup and verification was pretty good, I've now got it down to zero clicks. (Somewhere I read about a photographer who ingests on his laptop while he drives back from a shoot. This is for him.)

In the next version, ImageIngester will climb on top of your camera and actually shoot the pictures.  Wink

Several other improvements, including a Stop button for when you ingested by mistake.

I've also taken a look at Peter's suggested workflow in Chap. 6 and figured out how ImageIngester fits in, including dealing with a sticky problem about renaming before vs. after a time sort, for when you have multiple cameras. Read my little essay at http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/DAMworkflow.php.

Click that link to download ImageIngester, too. (Free, Mac OS X only.)

--Marc
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 03:21:22 PM by peterkrogh » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 10:33:04 AM »

Marc,
Looks interesting.  I'm a little hesitant to charge a new application with this very important task, but that does not mean I wouldn't.

What is the verification you provide?  I assume it is some kind of file compare?  Is this something that is done in addition to the built-in filesystem stuff?

I don't buy the convert to DNG right away stuff, but you are clearly aware of the reason, and can make an informed choice.

I'll give it a try if I get a chance.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »

Peter--

The verification is simply to use DNG Converter on raws, checking for errors. I've run some experiments on raws that I know to be corrupted, and indeed it stops with an error, which ImageIngester then reports. For JPEGs, I have JPEG code built into ImageIngester that decompresses the JPEG, and again I go by the error code. This, too, checked out when I tried it on corrupted JPEGs.

Also, I do the copying using low-level UNIX OS calls so that I know that I'm catching errors, and then, when the copy is finished, I check the sizes of the files using a system call for that purpose.

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:30:59 AM »

Marc,
Excellent.
Can the JPEG confirmation tool be used as a standalone on existing files?  This would be a great helper app for iView (or any other application/process where you want to check intgrity of files on a drive).
Peter
g

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »

Hi Marc,

Been trying out your windows version and i have to say i am impressed.  Just a quick question is there anyway to get ImageIngester to look at a regular folder to ingest the files from there? If so this would seem to be a great tool to handle all those older pictures that have been copied to the computer but no longer have the DCIM subfolder. Or do you read the file information from that folder rather than from the file itself?

g
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:19:46 PM »

This is an interesting idea, as is Peter's somewhat similar idea in the post just above yours. Right now, ImageIngester expects to see a DCIM top-level directory, but this is easy to change.

I'll look into it...

--Marc

mlougee

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 01:43:59 PM »

This is a tad far afield, but...  Sometimes there is a team (or workgroup) of photographers, who might want to use the same set of processes for their entire group.  Thus, I wonder if ImageIngester (I2?) could ever work its magic on something like a set of "watched folders," in which the folders would act as surrogates for a memory card, and would ingest any files that were newly discovered in those watched folders?

One possible UserInterface process could be to have the source of ingestion (mouth?) be a "preference" that's selectable by the user, but I have no clue about whether this would be easy/hard programming.

Thanks for the software, it's a great concept, and seems to be under very active development, which is great.  Price is right, too, but you should begin charging for it soon, since it's a very useful timesaver (and catastrophe-preventer, if it avoids loss of images).
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:12:24 PM »

Interesting idea... but maybe too unusual a requirement for me to chase after, unless a very simple design can universally deal with this arrangement. Developers tend to do best when the application is one they actually use! I will give this some thought, however... and, if you come up any additional ideas, please let me know.

--Marc

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 06:18:39 PM »

Version 1.4.0 adds more flexibility in file naming (arbitrary text can be anywhere you like) and sidecars for raws that aren't to be converted to DNGs. Also, some bug fixes and user-interface improvements.

All this has forced me into a 20% price increase... which... let me see... still keeps it at zero!

Mac OS X  and Windows XP.

http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/

Muzza

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 08:17:32 PM »

Thanks Marc, just tried your new version and all my landscape shots turned to portrait orientation. Otherwise it works fine. Muzza!!!
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »

Hmmmm... I used to think my sense of humor was as acute as anyone's, but not any longer...

Are you joking?

--Marc

g

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2006, 09:58:56 AM »

Another small idea to help keep track of the development of the programme.  Any chance of a version number being displayed or maybe an about box?  Can't seem to see it anywhere.  Would make it easier with bug reports too as people could be sure exactly what version they were using.

Also maybe you could have an option to ignore errors given when the option to verify files is chosen and maybe just skip that file and give an error report at the end. This would help wherer large numbers of files are being ingested where the process would not have to be run all over again just for one trouble file. Also this would mean it could be left to run itself and left alone.  Maybe stopping on X number of errors?

g
Benjamin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 06:54:50 AM »

Thanks Marc,
for the nice application!  Smiley

If I may make another suggestion - I would love if I could import pics to the same folder, always, rather then having the program create a new folder on each import (on different dates). Would this be possible?

Many Thanks again,
Ben
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 09:27:58 PM »

For g and Benjamin:

Regarding the About box: It's hidden on the System menu on Windows (upper left corner). Needs its own button.

Changes to the primary folders are next in line for attention. Lots of suggestions for these.

Skipping past errors is easy for JPEGs, as I verify those myself, but not for DNGs (without a lot of complexity), since DNG conversion is done entirely by Adobe DNG Converter. Maybe I can come up with something.

An Intel-Mac user reported a bug that caused a crash when setting Preferences. Last night I bought an iMac (Intel based), and fixed the bug today, so there's a new 1.4.1 version on the web site (www.basepath.com/ImageIngester/) for Mac users.

I asked the Apple store to give me the iMac for free, since ImageIngester is free, but somehow they didn't get my point. ;-)

--Marc
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:29:57 PM by Marc Rochkind » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:28:05 PM »

>I asked the Apple store to give me the iMac for free, since ImageIngester is free, but somehow they didn't get my point. ;-)
lol
Peter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: