Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Cannot Import GPS Data with ImageIngesterPro
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 17, 2021, 02:12:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  Cannot Import GPS Data with ImageIngesterPro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cannot Import GPS Data with ImageIngesterPro  (Read 12907 times)
Luc Neyens
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:04:27 AM »

Hello:

Try as I might, I don't seem to be able to import GPS data into the XMP file when using ImageIngesterPro. Invariably, there is a message "ERROR: Failed to execute external command. Access is denied." or "ERROR: Failed to execute external command. Stopped."

I have tried importing data directly from the GPS unit (Garmin Oregon 400t) and from the tracklog saved in GPX format on the hard drive, and verified that logs are formatted with one element per line per the IIP manual p. 41. Since I'm the only user, I do have Administrator rights. Still, I also tried setting the properties for the three .exe files to "Run as Administrator," but it didn't help. IIP version is v3.2; ExifTool was updated to v7.86 (not sure which version is included with IIP, but it was dated 8/2008 I believe). The problem occurs on both Vista (Ultimate, 32-bit) and Windows 7 (RC, 64-bit).

As a possible alternative, I tried GeoSetter. This does read and imports GPX data into the XMP file, but I had rather use just one program for the ingestion process.

Any suggestion as to what I am doing wrong, or what settings I could/should change would be very welcome. Thank you.

Luc
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 06:24:37 PM »

Luc,
I've also had trouble getting this to work recently with Vista.  I've corresponded with Marc, but not found a solution.
Peter
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:33:24 AM »

I have the same issue with Vista on 32 and 64 Home Premium editions. I did get it to also give me a "out of time" interval error as well. I may turn to Geosetter in the interim, but would really like to have one program.

My Garmin Hcx vista saves the file in Mapsource as a .gpd file. I can resave it, but have also seen an empty file when I do this. There does not seem to be a way to save the track logs in Mapsource as a .gpx file. When you mentioning merging the tracklogs, I get lost. {no pun intended} Is that something done in Mapsource? I was hoping that reingesting the track log would help, or trying to change the file structure as Marc suggests in his manual. That was my next attempt at a fix, but it looks like that was also not a help. It seems that the MAC fix for IIP was beneficial, but there is not enough interest for MArc to do it for PC. Maybe a reason to go to Windows 7 and have MArc have at it for that platform? Please?

Thanks

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:47:02 PM »

I e-mailed Marc Rochkind and he replied as follows:

Bill--

From time to time the execution process problem is reported. Try two things:

1. Log in as admin.
2. Run II as admin (this is different... right click to choose this option).
3. Turn off UAC (user account control).

Some combination of some or all of these will probably work.

The "out of time" error is something I'm not sure of. I would have to see the log for that one.

-Marc

I got it to work on a PC on my laptop running Vista Home Premium, 64 bit. It takes a few more steps, but on Vista, I ran IIP as Administrator (go to start, right click, and choose "Run as Administrator." It takes a permission to do this, click on Allow, and then run it as normal. When I dragged the files into Expressions Media 2, it took a while, but it showed it on the map. Too cool! I double checked the file in Bridge and found the GPS information in File Info. So it takes a couple extra steps, but it gets there. Still got some out of time errors on 4 files, so I have to check what that was about, but it is working.

Thanks Marc. Image Ingester Pro may be the best piece of specific software I have ever bought. I seem to use every bit of it and it really helps me get my images in the place and shape I want with one piece of software.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

Running Vista Home Premium 64 bit on my Dell Studio Laptop, dual core, CS4.

Not sure where the post signatures went with the upodate, so I will have to re-enter this soon.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
ronandownes

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »

This is of great interest to me as any attepmt I made to introduce GPS to workflow failed. As many of us just juggle so many tasks that are queing up for workflow and business introductoin I assumed it was my failure to follow correct steps and it got bumped to back of the queue.

As I do use Photomechanic for a rough culling of the rubbish would PM be a perfect place to get the GPS log file into the files?

Ronan
nicolaiwhjorth

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »

On Windows 7 - I had same problem. But

2. Run II as admin (this is different... right click to choose this option).

Did the trick for me.

Somehow the new UAC does not let II call ExifTools to write to the files.

/Nicolai
DMBrown

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

Is anyone else still having proplems Geotagging photos on a Windows 7 machine. I was hoping that with tne newest version of IIP(Version 3.5.01) that geotagging would work. I have tried all the suggestions in this post but still get the ERROR: Failed to execute external command. Stopped. I am running IIP as administrator but still no luck. Any help solving this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: