The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 03:24:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  idImager
| | |-+  Comparison of IDimager v4 to EM2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Comparison of IDimager v4 to EM2  (Read 22014 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:02:15 PM »

This comparison has been prompted by my desire to harvest as much XMP data as possible including DNG rendering adjustments as well as my concern over the future and support of EM2.¬  I discuss my initial approach to backing up the rendering/PIE adjustments with iView/EM2 here http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=4039.msg23336#msg23336.

I'm in the first stages of comparing the latest release of IDimager v4.¬  I must say the user's manual is quite big and appears to be very thorough, a definite plus.¬  Here are some of the features I've found so far that are not available in iView.¬  I don't yet own EM2, but I'm assuming they are not available there either.¬  I also plan to note any relevant features in iView/EM2 that are not available in IDimager:

Free floating & docking panels w/ collapse capability (like Photoshop CS4, probably flash based)

IPTC 2008 XMP extended panels support

Full EXIF browsing and searching

In addition to Date/Timeline browser, full Calendar w/ image date range support

In addition to Catalog Explorer, a built-in Windows Explorer media browser w/ collection support

Private catalog set support

Full XMP harvesting/syncing including DNG rendering adjustments

More to come.¬ 

Dan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 07:26:15 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:10 AM »

Here's some info from the IDimager manual on catalog labels.  I don't agree with not using conventional keywording (wonder if that means the labels are stored in the keywords field; would certainly hope not, will have to check that).  As Peter points out in the new book, catalog sets can be filtered against keywords which can minimize the chance of data mismatches.  There are also many times when you might create sets that you may not wish to use as keywords (e.g. Client Selects, Day One, Deliveries, etc.).  I also don't think IDimager's label mapping capability is a substitute for EM2's Place Finder. The location information should be provided during the ingestion/bulk metadata phase where possible.

"Catalog labels are not exactly the same as metadata keywords. IDimager separated these two because metadata keywords are simple flat lists (no hierarchy), meaning you'd be quite limited in organizing keywords and keywording capabilities. Catalog labels are more flexible and the good part is that IDimager can keep catalog labels and metadata keywords in sync. I highly recommend that you use catalog labels for keywording and don't use direct keyword editing in the image details which you may be used to from other image management applications.

By assigning catalog labels to your images you are in fact adding keywords, but while a keywords is only a "string" without additional intelligence, catalog labels are more. For instance you can tell IDimager to keep a catalog label private and in that case the catalog is *not* written to the keywords while you have it available in your catalog. This way you will be able to search on it while at the same time you are guaranteed that this info is not sent out to your customers. Another feature in IDimager allows you to "map" a keyword to an image detail field. For instance you have a catalog label called "San Francisco" then you are able to map this catalog label to the City field on the Image Content tab of the Image Details ([Alt]+[Enter]). Another extra is that for each catalog label you can tell IDimager that when you assign a label that it should also assign all the parent catalog labels. For instance; you have a label hierarchy "Places -> USA -> California -> San Francisco". Then when you assign the label "San Francisco", IDimager will automatically assign "California" and "USA"... and if these parents are also mapped to fields these will also be filled on syncing the image. One more thing; you can also assign a GEO location to a catalog label. Then when you sync the image, IDimager will automatically GEO tag the image. For instance; you have a catalog label "Statue of Liberty". This is a "fixed place" and so you could add a GEO location to it. Then as you assign the label your images is also GEO tagged."

Dan
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 07:13:21 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »

Dan,
I assume it can show you the Location fields, it's just that they are not hierarchically organized.  Is that it?

Seems like something Hert should add...
Peter
havezet

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »

Dan,

I'm travelling right now and have to type this on the phone so sorry for this short reply.

Does this help for the place finder report?
http://repository.idimager.com/cgi-bin/idi_script_repository.exe?action=scriptDetails&scriptID=467da441%2D0575%2D4db3%2D71b1%2Debdf944b6ef7

thanks
hert

Author of IDimager
http://www.idimager.com
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 07:23:21 PM »

Peter,

I would actually prefer to have browsing capability of the hierarchical location information with the ability to click on multiple sets simultaneously, similar to the Place Finder in EM2.  However, if Hertz's script works as stated it sounds like it will do the trick as long as it doesn't create duplicate sets if I accidentally run it on the same images more than once.  Haven't tested it, but I'm assuming it doesn't; therefore, I removed the "No Place Finder" support feature from the list above.

Looking good so far.

Dan

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »

I changed the name of this thread because my plan is not to do a comprehensive review of IDimager, but rather a comparision of the major features with EM2.  My primary objective is to make a more informed decision between the two products and hopefully help other Windows users do the same.

Dan

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »

Looks like I can't remove the no Place Finder support from the first post above.  I seem to be having trouble scrolling through my editing window for posting.  This seems to have started when I upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.  Peter have you noticed this when making long posts under Windows with IE8?

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »

Dan,
Are you trying to split the post?
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »

Peter,

No, just trying to remove  a line near the bottom.  I put my cursor in the edit window and arrow down to the bottom by holding down the down arrow key.  However, when I release the cursor it pops me back up to the middle of the post.  I think it might be an IE8 quirk.  MicroSoft just seems to have a propensity for messing up a good thing.  Gets old after a while if you know what I mean ;-).

I'm going to try this on another one of PC's with IE8.  I'll get back to you.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:44:39 PM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 08:40:16 PM »

Peter,

Just tried it on another PC and get the same problem.  It must be an incompatibility with IE8.  Try typing something at the bottom of my first post above using Vista with IE8.  I assume you can do that as adminsitrator.

Dan

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 08:51:02 PM »

Peter,

Just found the problem.  You have to select "Compatibility Veiw" mode when viewing this site in IE8.

I removed the no Place Finder support from the first post above

Dan

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:13:57 PM »

It appears as though IDimager's catalog labels (known as catalog sets in EM2) are stored along with the IPTC keywords.  The IDimager Search commmand does not search on Catalog Labels.  This concerns me somewhat due to the potential for data mismatches between catalog sets and keywords, as well as migrating to another asset manager in the future if necessary.  It looks like the catalog labels/sets will be lost in the keywords.  What if you had a keyword with the same name as a catalog set, but different meaning; would only one keyword exist on export?  Also, I create allot of catalog sets that I don't intend to be keywords.  Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture here, but I would think you would want to keep Catalog Sets independent from keywords.

By the way, I'm building quite a long list of worthwhile capabilities that idImager has that are not found in EM2.  I plan to post those soon.

Dan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:29:16 AM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »

Ok, I was able to look at the ICS schema in Bridge created by idImager.  It does look like idImager keeps the catalog labels in separate structures within that schema; however, it doesn't appear to harvest them if the images are imported to a new idImager catalog.  It instead copies them to the IPTC keywords field.  So if I had to create a new catalog from my images I would lose my catalog labels/sets; unless Hert has created a script to harvest them.

I'm also hoping he has a script that will harvest iView/EM catalog sets from the mediapro schema.

Dan

mphillips

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 03:07:17 AM »

Hi Dan

In order to "reconstruct" your catalog via the ICS scheme you need to switch an option on "Read ICS Scheme if Available". It is generally switched off, and only switched on for a reconstruction.

Hope that helps

Regards

MikeP
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:22:24 AM »

MikeP,

Thanks allot.  I see that now.  I also see an option to not merge the catalog labels to keywords on sync.  Looks like the problem's solved.

Hert really seems to have thought of everything.

Moral to the story, finish reading the manual before speculating ;-).

Dan
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:30:57 AM by danaltick » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: