The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:36:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  Why isn't the "DAM" book available to buy as PDF?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Why isn't the "DAM" book available to buy as PDF?  (Read 11597 times)
skagen

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:09:35 AM »

Pardon the pun, but I heard about this book, went to your website and rally liked what I saw in the sample PDF of the first chapter. Okay, so the "pitch" had done its trick. I next went to the "purchase" link, assuming I could pay there and then and download a PDF of the rest....

Wrong...I could of course pay immediately, but then I apparently would have to get it in paper book format "shipped" . This is somewhat of an irony for a book on digital asset management. Moreover, that page mentions international shipping of the book - a customers that I would in fact expect to be prime candidates buy this book in PDF format instead of sending dead trees halfway around the world..

I hope this would change soon, as it is pretty surprising and dissapointing. Its a good book and I think consumers need to have it availabel in a choice of formats, especially those of us who are "international"...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 09:45:13 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:02:38 AM »

Skagen,
The irony is not lost on me. That is a decision by the publisher, however, not made by me.
There is the Safari Bookshelf, which provides for electronic delivery of this information, but I don't know if it will enable you to download a pdf of the file, or to simply have html access to it. 
Peter
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:19:32 AM »

Skagen -

Yes, it's ironic on the surface.  But if we look at how the book is really going to be used, perhaps it's in its best form as is.

25 years ago, the buzz word running through the business community was "the paperless office".  The promise of the concept was that we would do away with paper documents, relying totally on digital files to communicate with one another and store information.  While we have moved towards that concept, we have not totally settled into it.  Some things work best in paper form--the "DAM" book is a perfect example.

It's not a novel that you will read through once.  It is an invaluable reference book that you will write in, highlight, bookmark, dog-ear and go back to time and time again as you embrace and implement the ideas Peter puts forth.

Good luck with your move towards a solid cataloging and archiving system.  As I gradually move all my files into this system, I find myself sleeping better at night, knowing that things are safely stored where they're supposed to be.  A nice feeling.
andymiller

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 05:15:12 AM »

It's not on Safari yet (or at least when I last looked). Probably O'Reilly don't want to cannibalise initial sales. I really like having pdfs for when I'm on the road and because they are so easily searchable. would cheerfully buy them as well as the book.
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 07:09:18 AM »

A pdf format is something I fully support, and would purchase if necessary.

I must say that Rick's comments are also spot on. I have read the book now twice, beginning to end, making detailed notes. I have also done assorted random readings as I go back and reference certain topics. My copy of the book has certainly reached the "dog-eared" status mentioned by Rick. That is remarkable for a book that I have only had for one month, and a testament to its value.

Cheers ... Al
Hendrikvdv

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »

I personaly hate it to read a document from the screen. It's not relaxing for my eyes. Maybe it's better with the new 'liquid ink' screens almost available, but I prefer a paper version.
SeanD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:40:17 PM »

I would 2nd the idea that while a PDF might be very convenient in some settings, having an actual BOOK is very useful for digesting this information. I found that I most enjoyed reading it (and got the most out of it) when I was away from my computer, sitting on the couch in the living room or reading before bed. I also really appreciate not having to rely on a machine or some other item of technology in order to read (other than a decent light source, of course!).

--Sean
Ron Grassl

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »

Hi Peter
I find myself constantly looking for information that I know I read earlier in "The DAM Book", and now spend too much time trying to find that info again.  This is a good "Virtual Metadata" example, for you.

Why could you not be able to create a online pdf of your book, that is not actually viewable, but that a search lists for which pages certain words are on?  If the search just listed those, I don't believe anyone would reasonably be able to recreate your book in electronic format.  There are also better search engines that could find key words that are seperated by some maximum number of words, that would make the search more valuable yet.  It would save me time I think and make your book that much more valuable, to me at least.

For one simple example, I am now searching your book for something you wrote about a copyright process tutorial on the DAM web site.  The web site search itself gives me too many listings to look at (so far, guess I need to refine my search).   The index also is not helping me to find that particular copyright info statement.

Just a thought...
Ron Grassl
Torrance, CA
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 02:46:26 PM »

Ron,
The searchable index is a good idea.  I'll pass that along.
Here's the tutorial:

http://www.peterkrogh.com/copyright/main.html

Peter
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »

I know that this thread is over 2 years old, but I wonder if there's any possibility for the searchable index to happen for the second edition of The DAM Book. I'm reading through it right now and I already know I'm going to have to go back to search for information that I've already forgotten where it is.

Jorge

PS: Great book by the way. Totally worth buying it even though I already own the first edition.

Jorge del Valle
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:13 AM »

Jorge,
That's a great idea - if only I had time to make it happen...
Peter
Jorge del Valle

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »

No worries. At the end of the day it's just something that would make it easier to search for specific information in the book. Really useful, but not absolutely necessary.

I'll just have to study the book until it's all in my head!  Wink

Jorge

Jorge del Valle
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: