The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Keywords and Controlled Vocabulary
| | |-+  IPTC fields vs keywording
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IPTC fields vs keywording  (Read 5749 times)
jljonathan

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:01:23 PM »

I just listened to Martini Hour audio with Peter Krogh discussing his use of the IPTC fields rather than extensive keywording and was wondering how to use ImageIngester to add the matadata to the IPTC fields when ingesting. Do I put the basic data into the quickfields? Is there any way to ingest jpgs and also have this work?
Thanks
Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:58:03 PM »

Jonathan,
You can set up the quickfields to refer to any of the IPTC fields.

It can work with JPEGs if you click "merge XMP with JPEGs" or some thing in the set-up.

Are you using the most recent ImageIngester Pro?
Peter
jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »

Yes, I am using the most recent II. I do see the check box for merge jpegs. I will try this out tomorrow and post again.
jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »

Peter.
I did a little experimenting with the fields. It doesn't look like filter works in Bridge on any of the IPTC fields, so you can only use find. That seems like a loss, not being able to filter to find images like you can using keywords. In EM2, it seems like you must also use find (search) to get to images based on IPTC fields. The annotations box in the INFO section contains the IPTC fields, but there is no way to filter as there is in the ORGANIZE section with keywords. Am I missing something? Do you always have to use find (search) on a field to get images? This makes it necessary to recall the information placed in the fields before searching, which defeats the purpose. The filtering capability is what makes Bridge or EM2 really work for me. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks again
Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »

Jonathan,
Yes, you are missing something.
You can hit the flyout at the top right of the organize panel and see a number of IPTC fields (Place finder, for instance, shows the IPTC Location fields).

You might want to make sure the metadata preference in Expression is set to "Photoshop", so that field names agree with Adobe and IIP.
Peter
jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »

Peter
Thanks. Yes I do see the IPTC fields now and have changed EM2 to Photoshop. One question concerns what seems to be a difference between the IPTC fields that may also contain keywords along with the other information and the Bridge keyword panel vs IPTC fields panel. If I add IPTC info including keywords in EM2 and sync back to the original, the info appears in Bridge in the IPTC and EM2 panels but does not populate the keyword list. The newly added keywords appear at the bottom of the keyword list as "other".  I believe that same thing happens in EM2 between the INFO panel and the ORGANIZE panel concerning the keywords. So, these seem to be two distinct types of info. Is that correct? If so, would you be more concerned with making sure the IPTC information, including any keywords entered resided in the IPTC and maybe skip the other keywording? The date created also seems to be a separate bit of info in the IPTC fields, do you add that also?
Thanks again
Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »

Jonathan,
The keyword list in Bridge is just a way for the program to organize the display of the keywords.  It goes into Other becuase it's not already in an existing list.
As to date, I let the camera take care of that.
Peter
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 05:11:13 AM »

Is there an advantage to using the fields rather than keywords?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »

Joe,
Yes. The City Intercourse PA, and the keyword Intercourse are two different things. By putting the data in a field that describes what the term means, you add a lot of value to the term.

http://www.dpbestflow.org/metadata/metadata-overview#content

Peter
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »

Thank you Peter.  That's a great website, and it behaves on my Blackberry too (Opera browser)!

Joe
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

Joe,
You can thank JIm Keller at ContextSolutions and Judy Herrmann from ASMP (among others) for the great job they did configuring the Drupal install of the ASMP site.  We used this as the base for the dpBestflow site (and Jim did all the back-end integration).
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: