The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:58:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Choosing Software- New Canto Cumulus Single User
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Choosing Software- New Canto Cumulus Single User  (Read 27520 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 02:57:44 PM »

Bill,
Do you have a bunch of large images? Are they on a slow connection (say, over a wireless network)?
How many hours would you estimate it's been working?

You could check preferences and tell it to skip images over a certain size.
Peter
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 03:13:55 PM »

Peter
I have just checked my Pictures folder and I have inadvertently put some Light Room catalogs in this folder, so it may be chewing at those and not getting anywhere? Since I last posted I have done some sorting and the lower window indicates that it is still scanning the record and now 21447 hidden, 3 items in list and 3 items selected. The last number 3 items selected corresponds to the high lighted folder in the Catalog Folder on the left hand side of my interface. I don't really understand what it means by X # of items hidden.
I will shut down the program and remove the light room catalogs from the target folder and try again. I will also do as you suggest and go to prefs and see if I can set a size limit too.
Thanks and I will post back.
Regards
Bill
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 04:13:10 PM »

Peter
I found three folders with Light Room catalogues in the Pictures folder so I removed them to Applications in their own folder called Light Room catalogues. I do have a few Power points in the pictures folder along with their associated files but I changed the prefs to ignore image files over 5mg so that should help with a few panoramas and those Power Point files. The lower box is still spinning, the progress bar hasn't turned blue at all and there is a red circle with a slash through it at the end of the progress bar, no idea what that means.
I'm going to let it run through the night and I'll re post with any observations in the morning, I appreciate your concern.
Regards
Bill
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 05:27:38 AM »

I left the program to ruminate all night and nothing changed, it is still spinning and the progress bar shows no progress. I guess I'll remove the power point programs to see if that could be an issue, but other than that all I have is some NEF, DNG,TIFF and JPEG files.
Any thoughts please?
Regards
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »

Hello Bill,

This first experience of yours with EM2 is not very good, however there is most likely a simple solution (?)  Please let us know how you are dealing with it.

Personally this scares me a bit and I'm having second thoughts about buying EM2.  Are you getting any support from Microsoft ?

Andre

writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »

Andre
I am not that concerned...yet. The program is functioning fine, I continue with the cataloging without any problems. I suspect it is something that the software is trying to deal with and can't, so I will systematically remove files of a similar nature until the chugging ceases and EM2 starts behaving. If that doesn't work I may remove all the files I don't already see cataloged and restart the program. I had a lot more problems with old Cumulus 6 way back in the old days and I got very little sensible help from the company, that is why I jumped ship.
I will overcome, it just may take a while.
Thanks for keeping up with this saga I will keep posting here until I sort it out. What really gives me hope is that Peter is interested in this issue as well so I am not alone.
Regards
Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:26:20 PM »

Bill,
The Lightroom catalogs sound like a likely cause of the problem.  The Previews file is actually a package with a lot of JPEGs inside.

Just moving the files doesn't mean EM will stop cataloging them, particularly on Mac.  It keeps track of stuff you move, and will continue.  If you click on the cancel icon (the red circle) it will stop for this session, but it will start again later.

You actually need to find it in the Catalog Folders area, and remove the LR catalogs from the catalog (it should have tracked them to the new location).

Alternately, you could try to start over.

Peter
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 05:02:42 AM »

Peter
Hmmmmmm. When you say
"You actually need to find it in the Catalog Folders area, and remove the LR catalogs from the catalog (it should have tracked them to the new location).
Alternately, you could try to start over."
Catalog Folders area, is that in the Library? Can you explain where  to look for the LR files and I will gladly pluck them out.
IF I were to start over are they any other files that should not be included in my Pictures folder? I have Power Point presentations with their associated image files, (I tweak them for the specific audience so it is convenient to have them all together), I have panorama files which are stitched together with various software (some are huge files), I need these files grouped with their sister files for ease of rendering..........

Andre, perhaps you may be right after all.
Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

Bill,
Expression will open your package files and attempt to find any images that are inside.  It can see images inside Keynote files, for instance.

The solution (and not just related to Expression) is to segregate your filetypes a bit.  I keep my presentation files together (these include most of my keynote and powerpoint docs, for instance). And I strongly suggest that you keep your images together.

I also strongly suggest that you don't just lump all that stuff in your users folder (which is where the Pictures folder is). There are a number of reasons for this, outlined in the book.  The main one are possible permissions problems, difficulty of backing up images vs. the other stuff that lives in users like email, and the difficulties you encounter when you grow beyond what can fit on your boot drive.

Also, while your image archive should be relatively stable, Lightroom catalogs are always in transition (albeit sometimes very slowly). I strongly urge you to keep works in progress in their own folder outside the Users folder.

Peter
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »

Peter
 I guess what I need to do is go back and read the book now that I have the EM2 on the computer. Before actually having the software reading your book is a bit like a guide to astral physics, vast and daunting. I must admit once I loaded EM2 I went right to your chapter on EM2 and used it a s a guide to getting things going and ignored the rest of the book. I need to go back and contextualize my DAM plan and sort out my file system as per your suggestions.
Thanks Peter for the cold slap of reality.
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 05:59:31 AM »

Bill,

I also,  have difficulty sitting down and reading "HowTo" books and manuals when I get a new program,  but after a few days (weeks/months/years) of frustration, I sit down and read the damn "thing" and if it is a PDF guide I print it (can't stand to read a book on a monitor).

Reading the EM2's instruction manual (and also Peter's book in this case) is the logical thing to do.  I have Peter's excellent book and I've read most of it but it will take me at least a few months to fully digest it  (buckets and all).   ;-)

Andre
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 06:31:17 AM »

Andre
I wish here was a way to learn DAM 101 to at least get going and then one could go back and tweak the system and when you get comfortable really dig into a specific topic or practice, but I think going the way of the DAMned this is the way and it is complicated and specific. I must say I am frustrated now and haven't gone back to deal with the mess I have made, wishing I could slavage the days of work I did in making sets. I am wondering now with how to make a root system folder that I can move my pictures to. I'm sure it is in the book but I can't find it. I have accessed the root before but it was way back in OS9.
Me being me I went out and bought the 2 Big Quatra by Lacie thinking that would be my RAID back up but finding now that even with RAID 1 I only have half the 1TB for actual backup and that will quickly be filled up. I like the idea of DROBO but it is too late for me at this point.
I think I am overwhelmed by the amount of procedure and practices that I must do in order to get this going.
Back to that DAM book.
Thanks for the contact Andre.
Regards
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 11:08:25 AM »

You say:  "I am wondering now with how to make a root system folder that I can move my pictures to."  Please let me know how you set up that root folder.    If you are *also* using a program like LightRoom, moving your pictures could create a problem.  I am using LightRoom *and* Cumulus, those two don't get along well together.  I also found that duplicates can be a problem when setting up a new DAM system, I had thousands of those.

Andre
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 02:34:02 PM »

Andre
Page 136 Peter describes that he takes his Light Room catalogs to the root folder as well, see top left side bar. If you can see where he says how to access the root and do this procedure please tell me. I do own Light Room but I can honstly say I haven't gotten very far with that software, I have a manula for that one too that needs to read,Scott Kelby's Light Room 2.
I have a lot of duplicates too or what we call them now Derivative Files as some are tweaked one way or another for specific tasks like Power Points, output to print etc.
I too a  day off from the DAM project and I feel a little more confident today so I may start all over from the top this time.
Best regards
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 07:42:33 AM »

Hello Bill

Figure 4-4 on page 136,  is titled “Workstation?.  I’m on a PC and I didn’t know what “Workstation? meant.  Was it the name of a folder ?  On a PC the top bar shows the drive-name followed by the name of any folder being accessed and when it says [ C: ] then we know that it is the “System? drive, the root directory,  Peter writes: “I suggest creating a Working folder in the root directory of the drive, as shown in Figure 4-4.? ,  so “the drive? is the “Workstation? drive,  Macspeak for the [ C: drive ]  in PCspeak  as he explains on page 137 by writing: “(the root directory is the top level, inside the Macintosh HD or the C:drive).?

I think that you wrote a while ago that you were using a Mac (?) unfortunately since I don’t know anything about the Mac I cannot answer your question but I can explain how to do what Peter suggests when you are on a PC if you wish (?)  Personally I have all my database files (and LightRoom files) on a single 1TB hard drive separate from my C: drive.  I'm studying Peter's suggestions regarding this but I haven't yet decided what's best in my case.

Later on I would like to comment also on the subject of  “Duplicates? and  “Derivative Files?.

Andre
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: