The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Choosing Software- New Canto Cumulus Single User
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Choosing Software- New Canto Cumulus Single User  (Read 27519 times)
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:09:31 AM »

Anyone has had a look at the new, July 2009 version of Canto Cumulus ?  Apparently it is a Single User version of Canto's latest version of Cumulus 8.  I've been a longtime user of Canto Cumulus (v.6.03 Single User) until they dropped support for it and turned it into MediaDex.

I'm considering it, and Microsoft Expression Media 2 and others if you care to give me some suggestions.  I need a database that will support all of the following file types: TIF, PSD, RAW, JPEG, CMYK, AI, EPS, GIF, MS Word, PDF, P65, QXD, INDD and so far I  have not found any but Cumulus comes fairly close.  I do a lot of photography but also a lot scanning and I'm not looking for a program mainly designed for photographers and photographs.

When Canto talks about their new Single User program ($300+) they also make reference to their version 8 which sells for thousands of dollars but they do not explicitely define how much of version 8 is actually included in their Single User version.  Anyone knows ?

I'm using LightRoom 2, ImageIngester, Cumulus 6, Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2, Acrobat ..., on WinXP.  I have Peter Krogh's excellent (and essential) "The DAM Book" Second Edition and Marc Rochkind's also excellent ImageIngester.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you might like to make,

Thanks,

Andre Dumas

writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

Andre
I am in the same boat. I was a long time Cumulus 6 single user as well but unless I can get an upgrade discount from 6 to 8 I may look elsewhere. I have found Expression Media 2 for sale on Amazon for $269.95 Canadian but there is an upgrade for this which costs another $139.95 which make the difference between the Cumulus upgrade and Expression Media slight.
I honestly would like to switch to Expression Media just for the fact that "The Dam Book" provides such clear user direction. I own both versions of the book and though I find the task ahead of me daunting the benefits of the books and this forum make me more hopeful that I will organize this mass of digital information and find the pictures when I need to.
I will watch this thread.
Regards
Bill

roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:31:09 PM »

Hi,

Cumulus still has a dog of an interface. Expression Media remains King of DAM for creatives wanting to catalogue more than just images. Phase One have an offer on Expression Media 2 for US$119:

http://www.phaseone.com/Global/campaigns/ExpressionMedia.aspx

It's part of their 'Better Together' campaign with Capture One 4 + Expression Media 2.

-- Robert.

writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »

Robert you are correct about the interface. I did email Canto from their website. I included my serial number and PIN number for my version 6 and they did say I could get the new version 8 as an upgrade and save 50% of the cost, which was substantial but, I decided to order Expression Media 2 and the Upgrade.
 I tried to order from the English site Phase One but it wouldn't allow me to finish the transaction, same with Amazon.com in the US it said there were license issues with the US version in Canada. I could have saved $98.00 CDN dollars if I could have bought the US version, that is a lot of difference but I ended up buying it from Amazon.ca for $410.00 CDN., that's a lot of DAM dollars!
I'm in now and I look forward to getting my chaos into order.
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 01:19:28 PM »

Hello Bill,

I am **very** interested in your views about Expression Media 2 versus Canto Cumulus 6 (which I'm still using these days), true, as Robert says "Canto has a dog of an interface", it  lacks the refinements of a program like Lightroom but it is a full fledge database that supports many file types, please tell me how EM2 does with file types Huh 

How do you rate EM2 in comparison with Cumulus in general ?  How about the quality of the thumbnails in EM2 ?  How about the interface ?  I agree that $410 CDN is a lot of money for a DAM, is that for a single user ?

Andre Dumas
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »

Andre
I stopped using Canto 6 when I switched to OSX intel. based machines. When I get EM2 I will answer your questions as best as I can, I am excited about the change and with the DAM book and this forum I hope to start off on the right foot.
Thanks for your concern and interest Andre.
Regards
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 04:45:29 AM »

Hi Bill,

I downloaded Expression Media 2's trial version some three months ago and did not have enough time to review it seriously and anyway I wasn't quite ready to buy a DAM at the time.  Now that I'm about to purchase a program, EM2's trial is no longer available.  All this to explain why I'm asking so many questions about the program.

Peter Krogh gives a listing of file types that EM2 supports (page 397), the list is very interesting, PostScript files are supported which means that I could translate my Illustrator files to PostScript ! Now I'm wondering what "support" means, for instance is it possible to catalog (thumbnail) the pages of a PDF file and a Word or Text document ?

Thanks. I'll be watching this forum before making a decision on what program to purchase.

Andre
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:12:28 AM »

Andre
A BIG concern of mine is if EM2 is ever going to be EM3. Read through this forum I have seen that Expression Media has not been included in the new Expression Studio software. One would hope that Microsoft would support EM into the future having made the change from iView in the not too distant past. My concern is economic, I invest $400.00 Canadian and how ever long it takes to learn and implement my DAM system. I can only hope that when the time comes to migrate I've done everything right so the move will be a smooth as possible.
Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:54 AM »

I don't think you should read anything at all into EM being removed from ES, Bill. If anything, I think it's a positive move, as EM's fortunes and release schedule won't be tied to ES. However, your opening comment about EM3 is fair enough - until that happens, one has to question EM's future.

John
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »

Bill

Yours is a valid concern.  Canto *did* drop support for "Cumulus Single User", they sold it to MediaDex which offered very little support and did not improve the program.  But AFAIC if EM2 can help me, I'm willing to risk it and let the future take care of itself.  Peter Krogh says that one can migrate from EM2 to another program very easily, the only cost (besides $) would be to re-learn a new DAM program which is easy enough considering that, fundamentaly, they pretty much all operate the same way.

About Microsoft removing EM2 from Expression Studio; this makes sense to me since EM2 does not cater to the same Users as Expression / E_Blend:- E_Web:- E_Design:- and E_Encoder which cater more to the "Music , Video and Web crowd". 

Andre
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:41:14 AM »

John
The good thing about this issue is that I'm not alone and neither is anyone else here, a lot of folks will be in the same boat if EM doesn't turn into EM3. Lets hope that Microsoft sees that lots of people use this product and that it deserves the continued support and development.
Andre
I really wanted to upgrade Cumulus until it changed to MediaDex and now it changes hands once again back to Cumulus. I'm with you about EM2, learn the proper skills and it won't be wasted effort.
Regards
Bill
Andre Dumas

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 05:12:42 AM »

Hi Bill,

Have you installed Expression Media 2 and are you using it ?  I'm very interested in your first impressions about EM2 versus Canto Cumulus that you were using in the past, and how did the migration of your records from one to the other go ?

Hope to hear from you ... (?)

Andre
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »

Andre
Yes I have installed both the application and the upgrade and it was fine, no problem. I migrated my collection into one catalog and have begun to sort the images into sets. I must say the DAM book REALLY helped me to get going, I find myself sitting with the book in front of me as I work trying everything Peter suggests and I'm feeling a lot more confident after a few days.The interface is very Mac like and easy to work with and after I learned the icons I was off to the races. The next hurtle will be importing my Legacy files from many CD's and DVD's. Then  making buckets so I can back this archive up and get these images off the machine onto archival DVD's. This will be a long process and I do a bit everyday so as the saying goes."Slowly slowly catch your monkey"
Prior to my renewed interest in DAM I bought a Lacie 1T 2 big Quatra Hard Drive to act as a back up for my images. I see now I was hasty because even with RAID 1 it is only going to be able to hold 500GB and I'll easily fill that. The good thing about the 2 Big Quatra though is when the drives are full I can store them and buy two more much larger drives for the same device...but I get ahead of myself, I have yet to consider that part of the process just yet.
Now that I have made the purchase I will embrace this system and ask questions on the Expression Media 2 portion of this Forum. My first question will be "the spinning gear at the bottom right of the frame continues to spin, day after day, does this mean it is still cataloging or is the program stuck on some one file?"
Andre, thanks for asking, if you take the plunge perhaps we will learn this process together?
Regards
Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »

Bill,
Does it continue to spin?
Is the program responsive?
Peter
writchie

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »

Peter
Yes it continues to spin but I can still use the program, save etc. When I click on the bottom window it says which image it is processing and if I check back in a day or so it say it is processing other images so it appears to be trying to import the existing archive still. When I check it just now it said it was scanning record on the left and 21371 hidden/79 images in list. Do you think this means that it is still trying to import these 79 images?
Any suggestions
Regards
Bill
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: