The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 07:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Multi-User Configurations
| | |-+  Enterprise Level Solution
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Enterprise Level Solution  (Read 5832 times)
Deepak Kumar

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »

Hi Everybody,

I have been searching this site for many weeks now but could not get desired information.

I would like to introduce myself first. I am a photographer for last nine years. I have more

than little amount of experience of both analogue and Digital photography. I can use computer

like any home user. I can understand some complicated issues related to computers. By the way

I have gone through The DAM Book II Edition once.

Now My Questions

I need to digitized my office (educational institute) photographic archieves. I am looking for all
Kind of supports.

1. What kind of DAM software I should  choose ?  Off-the-shelves(sorry couldn't find other word) Like Protfolio, EM 2, ect. OR some
  enterprise level solution provider.

2. Are these off-the-shelves softwares enterprise level ?

3.If enterprise Level is the choise than which one (I am looking at some providers i.e. iBase etc)

These will be used to archieve more than 300000 images at the momemt with approximately 7-8 TB Data. which will

grow further at the speed of 2 to 3 TB a year.

Five to seven person will access this data for editing and tagging. At a time 30-40 students will access it at the most.

Low res. images  will be on web as well. Price is a concern but not much.

Deepak Kumar

Deepak Kumar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:16:15 AM »

This is amazing that nobody is picking up the tab for this kind of solution.

Peter has writen a fabulous book. But He skipped the details about enterprise level solution. Now I can understand Why.

It is not easy to configure hardware for lagre organization and their divers needs. I am in a process of finalising server,

attached drive Bays, drives & chennel etc. I am looking at both HP & IBM for right solution. Will post more info later on.

But  Peter is one of most knowledgble person around. So little guidence from him in his book about software solution for

enterprise level software would helped a lot. Right now I plan to check out Free trial from telescope, and portfolio server 9

for getting more info about them and making decision about them. If still find them lacking I would go for custom solution provider.

Deepak Kumar

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:45 AM »

I think part of the issue is that once you go to enterprise level, in most organisations other people expect to have a say, and other much bigger business processes affect the shape of the solution. So unlike individuals or small teams, it's much harder to give a generic opinion.

Peter's also away a lot at the moment.

Anyway, Portfolio Server is within the DAM framework. It has one or two shortfalls, like not reading / writing XMP sidecars, but in an enterprise environment those can be scripted. But it also has strengths such as its multi-user controls. No idea about Telescope.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

Deepak,
Do you have an approximate budget?
There are a lot of approaches, and it's hard to figure out what's right for you without a good bit of information.

The storage part is relatively easy - it's the software choice and implementation that is challenging.

There's a big difference between having $2000 to spend and $80,000
Peter
Deepak Kumar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:39:02 AM »

Peter,

I do agree with you totally that hardware part is easy as compared to selecting software.

I think I have broadly got the hardware configration that would take care of my institute needs.

As for budget I can stretch it to $12,000 for software, but that should include little

customization as well.

Detail of Project.

Digitizising A drama school's Archives

We are two photographer here.  I have to handle this project as my senior is not much computer guy.

we have close to 1,20,000 Negatives Both color & B/W.

We are shooting Digital for last four years ( D-100, D-200 & Now 5 D Mark II)

We have approximately 2 TB of data in digital format ( almost All jpeg. Nothing tegged, No mata data etc.)

We have them on diffirent drives in folder structure.  After Scanning we will have 7-8 TB data.

Target

getting all this data including Negs on one digital archives with proper matadata, cataloguing and tegging etc.

To make it accessible to Institute's students. Putting up a web front of selected photo( low Res.) for public. 

Resources

Apart from myself, I can hire some Photography students as interns for scanning or get it done from Scancafe.

One or two person can be employed for tegging etc. I am planning to invest one and half year to this job.

Hope this helps

As I mentioned before that this is the project where I will learn from & share with this forum.

Deepak Kumar

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »

Deepak,
Okay, that's a little more to go on.  A few thoughts:

#1 Do camera scans instead of conventional scans. (Scan cafe is an option, but it would take your whole budget...)
#2 Prioritize the scans. Surely there are a few which are much more important than most.
#3 As for your DAM issue, I'd suggest thinking of it as a two-part problem - making and managing the archive, and creating some kind of distributed access vehicle. 

The first part can be started with desktop level software like EM, and then folded into a larger tool that can read all the work from EM into a larger database.

As to the distribution vehicle, you could install and run your own software on the server, or you could use a web-based subscription service. I don't think I would look at this.

I don't know if the $12,000 is total cost including software, consulting, setup, training, etc, but that seems low for a system like you describe, unless you have a lot of on-staff IT talent to help make it happen.

Peter
Deepak Kumar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »

Thanks Peter,

1. I use nikon coolscan now and I would probably like to scan these neg. once for all. So high res. scan will eliminate need to      rescan when someone ask for bigger file size. Secondly since in theatre they use diffrent color gels with lighting so most neg seems to be thick and pure black background make camera scan more difficult. I have saparate bugdet for scanning that can take care of it in both cases internal or outsourced.

2. I will difinately prioritize the scan but not more than 10% percent can be left.

3. Idea of doing it in two part seem to make it more difficult for someone like me who does not have command over this subject. Having said that I would like give it a thought/try. 

I think that I would have to go to enterprise level solution provider as other software are not likely to give as much without huge amount of scripting and rewriting. 

Though I stay in Gurgaon,Delhi (INDIA) which is second biggest IT hub in India.  But I have not found any mid level IT company specializing in DAM for photographers. If I find one it will make things much easier. As cost of consulting, customization & training can be reduced. As far as having good inhouse IT support in non IT company, it is distance dream even in country like India (Demand+, Supply- )

Deepak Kumar
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: