Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Cataloging Strategy
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 12:13:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Cataloging Strategy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cataloging Strategy  (Read 3865 times)
Teeds

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:02:00 AM »

Per Peter's recommendations I downloaded a trial copy of EM for evaluation.

So, now I have 28 days left to learn a bit about the program and see if it will help me organize things better.

So, that leads to the first big question that I have ...

What is a good cataloging strategy?

Although I have my overall directory system sorted by camera names, everything inside generally follows Peter's recommendations in his book  (v1) where I can burn them to DVD for archival storage.

My directory tree is something like ... E:/Data - WAE/Cameras/20D/Disk01 ... or 850IS/Disk01 ... I've had 5 different cameras total over the years and two numbering sequence changes that I keep separate so files don't overwrite each other accidently.

I get the idea that one large catalog is NOT the way to go (56K+ photos for one reason), but am not sure how far down I should go.  Do I go to the individual DVD disk level?  I have not started burning the DVDs as yet as I want to get the metadata tweaked a bit more so the first pass as least has my personal information, copyright info, and location info in the metadata.

I just read the thread about having problems with the metadata (not that I understood it) and it has me a bit confused and worried as well.  Bridge is a pain at some levels, but at least I understand the various metadata fields.

In any case ... step one is to build a cataloging system.

All thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Tony Eeds aka Teeds aka Dad aka Grandpa
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:30:41 AM »

You can easily get 56k in there. Just don't select the previews option, and use smaller medium quality thumbnails.

For now, I don't think you need to worry too much about strategy, not yet anyway. Try the thing out for those 28 days, playing with as many features as you can and doing all the real world things you need to do. Then once you've decided to buy, assuming you do, go back to square 1 and build your long term catalogue.

As for strategy, match your catalogue to physical drives or major folders. So you can say, yes, I've got the whole E drive catalogued in that catalogue, and this catalogue covers the pictures folder - so that's everything covered. And have as few catalogues as you need. It's one body of work, so why fragment control of it?

John

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »

I agree with John, but would add a step or tow in there.  Instead of cataloging everything right away (which will result in a slowish main catalog), I'd suggest cataloging several thousand images (Pick a big folder or set of work) and play around with that. Once you get a feel from the program, and what metadata is in your files, and what you want to add, you can add the rest of the images.
Peter
Teeds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »

John and Peter:

Thanks for the input.

I have already built a catalog of everything, so perhaps I just leave it that way until I learn a bit more about the program.  It is a bit slow, but I can live with that as it leaves me time to poke about in the program and learn what is under the hood.

Thanks again and I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Tony Eeds aka Teeds aka Dad aka Grandpa
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »

Tony,
HAve you discovered the "place finder"?
I would suggest downloading and skimming through the documentation  There are a lot of hidden capabilities in there.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: