Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM showing .xmp files in Catalog
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 04:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM showing .xmp files in Catalog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM showing .xmp files in Catalog  (Read 6829 times)
Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:01:06 PM »

I recently switched from iView Media Pro to Expressions Media.  When I add new image files to my sizeable Catalog, the .xmp files show up along with the RAW or TIFF files.  Since every RAW and TIFF file has an .xmp file associated with it, this creates kind of a mess.  Is there a way to "hide" the .xmp files in EM?

Thanks!

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 06:09:49 AM »

Mark,
If you don't have other text files that you are cataloging, how about unchecking "Tect" in the File>Catalog Importers? Does that keep them from importing?

What version are you using?
Peter
Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:18:07 AM »

Peter

Thanks, that did work & solved the problem.  It is odd, since I never ran into this with IMP, so, something must have changed when they released EM.  Bye-the-way, I am running EM v 1.0, not 2.  Do you think I should upgrade to v 2?  Maybe that would help the speed issue I posted previously.

Thanks

Mark

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »

I think that may have been addressed in the update, but I don't think the speed issue will be different.
Peter
Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:28:59 AM »

OK, thanks.  I will order the upgrade to v2 and see if that makes any difference.

Happy Fourth of July to all!

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

Hi,

Expression Media 2 is multithreaded. If you have a multicore computer you will notice an increase in speed and stability if you work on files as they are imported.

-- Robert.

Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

I run MEM on two computers, one has a multi-processor, the other does not.  I just upgraded to MEM v2 and it does not change the response time in the Organize Panel.  I also just checked an old back up copy of the problematic Catalog (I back up nightly but that old version is on a computer in a different location).  It only has 31,000 images, versus 32,500 in the current Catalog.  The older, slightly smaller (catalog size is 404MB versus 442MB) does NOT have the slow down problem that the current Catalog has.  I am going to see if I can find a way to add the "newer" files to the "old, back-up version" catalog and see if that fixes the speed issue.

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:53:49 AM »

Hi Mark,

There are two easy ways to clean up a Catalog. Export to XML and re-import into an empty Catalog. Or Import the rogue Catalog into an empty one.

-- Robert.

Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »

Hi Robert

I can Export the rogue catalog into an XML file OK. But, when I try to Import the XML file into a new, empty Catalog, I get the error message "Falied to complete import.  Make sure XML file is valid and that there is enough disk space to create the new catalog. (-8960)."   

When I create a new Catalog and simply Import the files from the rogue catalog I have the same speed issues when I switch to the Organize/Keywords Panel - extremely slow to respond.  I am going to try creating a new catalog and import all 32,000 items and see if that makes a difference.

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:20:28 AM »

Mark,

That error is caused if Expression Media exports garbage with the XML. Have a look at the section titled Take the Garbage Out in my latest newsletter for a suggested workaround. XML export/re-import is good method for cleaning Catalogs and you'll often find they end up a bit smaller too. When it works.  :Smiley

-- Robert.

Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:16:46 AM »

Robert

OK, thanks I will check it out but it will be a few days since I am about to hit the road for some travel & shooting.  Bye-the-way, a test catalog that I created when I imported the image files into a new, empty catalog was about 25% larger than the original one.

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »

MArk,
That probably has to do with thumbnail size/quality.
Peter
Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:24:49 AM »

Robert

I took a quick look at your post "Take the garbage out" and it appears that firstobject.com's xml editor is windows only, and I am on Apple Macintosh computers.

Mark W.

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: