Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Any word on a new version of Expressions?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Any word on a new version of Expressions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any word on a new version of Expressions?  (Read 7804 times)
Ray-R

View Profile Email
« on: June 27, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »

I think that I've decided upon Expressions as a catalogue software, however this is dependent upon MS continuing support of this program i.e. version 3. My other concern is that, if I buy it now and EM3 comes out in the next couple of months, then I'll have to buy it again unless there is a grace period.

Microsoft don't seem very willing to release any information regarding EM one way or the other. I've been watching the Expression Media forum to see if there's any news in there, but so far, nothing.

Any news, ideas or other pertinent information would be gratefully received.

Ray Rogers
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »

Ray,
Wish I could tell you the future, but I can't. Public companies in the software development space are reluctant to make any future predictions - a problem with securities laws as much as anything.

Keep a couple other things in mind.  One is that there are many dedicated iView users, even though that program has not been updated in more than 3 years.  So Microsoft support  is not entirely essential to a long use of the program.

I still believe that EM is the best cross-platform media manager. And everything you do in the program is exportable, so that when it's time to go, you can take all your work with you.
Peter
Ray-R

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:30:51 PM »

Thank you Peter,

I probably will get EM, in fact I know I will, it's just a case of when. If I was sure that it would be many months before the next version I would go for it now.
I'll probably bide my time though and wait for news one way or the other.

Ray
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:25:35 PM »

Ray, I would not be expecting another version coming soon (a pay version, as opposed to a free upgrade.) But that's just a hunch.
Peter
mikeseb
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:58:15 AM »

I am, as ever, trying to figure out a way to get my Expression Media catalog sets painlessly into LR as collections or as hierarchical keywords. (I know about Beardy's script for getting catalog sets into LR as hierarchical keywords, but I've not been able to make it work.) Not that I think that LR is a better DAM program than EM, because IMO it is NOT. It's just that I don't know whether to count on continued MS support for EM.

Stuff like this makes me wonder; I came across this press release while searching for answers:

http://www.devsource.com/c/a/Architecture/Microsoft-Dropping-Expression-Media-from-Suite/

So Expression Studio Suite and Expression Media are going their separate ways. Wonder if there'll BE an Expression Media version 3.

The only problem I really need an EM 3 to solve is better portability of catalog sets and custom fields, which over several years of EM use have become crucial to my workflow.

Michael Sebastian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:39 AM »

Michael,
I would say that separating Expression Media from the Expression Suite may actually be better for photographer types who are using the software.  The Expression Suite did not really care about photographers, and the division that now is in charge of Expression definitely does. (The Rich Media Group). That does not guarantee forward progress, but at the team in charge knows who we are and cares about us.

As to moving to LR, I'd say give it a try.  See if it works for you.  For smalish collections that don't have a lot of duplication, it's likely to be just fine.  For larger collections, or for people who need to sort out disorganized past work, you may find yourself headed back to Expression to manage the bulk of the archive.

You might want to hold off on the data migration until you see what it's like to catalog your collection, and can evaluate LR performance and capability.

Peter
Photo_op
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »

Peter- would you expect that the Adobe Lightroom team might devote some of their future development efforts into strengthening the Library (cataloging) module?

-David
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »

David,
Yes, I know for a fact that improvement of the Library is an important area of work for Lightroom.
Peter
Photo_op
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

David,
Yes, I know for a fact that improvement of the Library is an important area of work for Lightroom.
Peter

Great! And thanks.

David
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 11:57:14 PM »

Trouble with xMedia development is ... there is none. I am not talking about all the hard-working oomphalooms in the backgroud, probably really trying to do something sensible but about what the [potential] customer sees. The current incarnation of xMedia, as good as it is and as much as has been done in the background, is old. I mean, old. Not that new necessarily is better.

OTOH, 'new' translates to 'interesting' or 'buzz'. something xMedia does not get. And we are talking Microsoft here, a company well known for marketing savvy. This spells bad - and I'd like to be comforted.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
jimHere

born in the 20th Century

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:04:38 AM »

It wil be tough to leave iView/expressionMedia. I've used it since the 20th century. I hope they have a v3, but if LR does improve the Library side, then, well, er, I might totally switch.

I'm just so used to having each project have it's own catalog -- not just photos. LR will always be Photos Only. If only Yan had found a better buyer than MS...

-- Jim
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »

Dierk and Jim,
I agree that it's disappointing that there is not more progress in this kind of software.  I also think it's amazing that Expression is still arguably the best cross-platform desktop application for image management.

We can take comfort in the fact that we can get everything out of Expression once a better solution comes along.  That may be soon, or not-so-soon.
Peter
mikeseb
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 06:57:44 AM »

I did a limited trial over the weekend of data migration from ExMedia to LR 2.x. I think this might just work, though again I like EM's interface much better for most DAM operations.

As was advised, I simply selected an EM Catalog Set's images and then clicked to open them in LR. I got a dialog box telling me they were already in the LR database; clicking "show in library" displayed them and enabled me to select and assign them to a new or existing Collection and/or keywords. Still a bit tedious, but workable. Previously, I had gone the much more cumbersome and less reliable route of assigning (from within EM) the EM Catalog Set name to each member image as a keyword, then embedding those keywords, then updating the metadata in LR, then searching for those keywords and assigning found images to a corresponding LR Collection. Whew. In a catalog/database of 40+k images, the old way could take some time.

It seems easier to do metadata and keywording in LR and then import that information into EM than it is to do it the other direction. So I guess I'll limp along like this for a while and await whatever Library / DAM improvements might come along in LR 3.

Michael S.
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »

Hi,

Mike there is an easier solution in the works. You do know of the person working on it and can probably guess who it is. Wink

The route I've taken is to copy my xMedia Sets to Hierarchical Keywords. Peep into the metadata and you'll see Microsoft used the Lightroom Namespace to store Hierarchical Keywords.

It's a pity that the Hierarchical Keywords can't be scripted. I had to drag and drop Sets to Hierarchical Keywords in xMedia. It only took 20 minutes. Then I pushed the terms into the files. Hierarchical Keywords use XMP so the file format has to support it. JPEG, TIFF and DNG do. But proprietary Raw file formats like NEF and CR2 do not.

If you are using proprietary Raw formats you need to create XMP sidecars for Lightroom to pickup the metadata. And xMedia requires you do that one folder at a time. Sad

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: