Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Transfering files to laptop then back to PC
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 12:39:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Transfering files to laptop then back to PC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Transfering files to laptop then back to PC  (Read 3292 times)
photoeye

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:08 PM »

Does anyone have a workflow for tranferring your catalog to a laptop to take on a trip work on your keywords, cataloging etc then come home and transfer that work back to the PC.

This is all using Bridge or Expression Media

I saw, Peter's workflow

Download with ImageIngesterPro (rename, add bulk metadata, backup)
Rate and Adjust with Bridge for a small shoot
Rate and Adjust with Lightroom for a big shoot
Convert to DNG, archive and catalog with EM2

So if I understand this after rating and making adjustments (color balance, cropping etc) then convert to DNG which then is moved to EM2 (how?) for archiving and cataloging

At any point in this or even the whole process to be be able to transfer what I need to laptop work the workflow and then for each product used in workflow transfer back to pc

Is this do able and if so how?

Where would keywords come in?
thanks

Keith
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:56 AM »

I simply copy the catalog file to my laptop. When I return, I copy it back to the PC. No transfer of files is needed.

As I believe Peter mentions in the book, you're not really "moving" files into EM2. Your image files live in whatever folder structure you've come up with. EM2 is basically a database that creates references to those files and catalogs all the info attached to the images as well as the thumbnails/previews. To get the files "into" EM2, just add them to the catalog (File>Import Items...).
This way you can take the catalog anywhere you want and add keywords, ratings, etc. without having to bring along all your image files. The changes are made in the EM2 database, not the image files. If you want that information in the image files, you'll have to sync annotations (Action>Sync Annotations)

rod
photoeye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:38:30 PM »

Thanks, Rod

Keith
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: