The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  A real hazard of mirroring with GBM?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: A real hazard of mirroring with GBM?  (Read 7942 times)
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »

I've posted to the Genie user forum and I'll try Technical Support again (I emailed them about this several months ago when I was using GBM Pro 6 but never heard back)
I'll pass on anything I learn.

rod
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »

rod, Thanks for bringing this up again.  Seems to be a real hazard and those genies need to get it sorted out.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. I left my source drive off and an automatic backup of all the images on the source drive started

Rod,

What do you mean by Automatic?  Was this a scheduled backup job?  If so, does it only happen with scheduled backups?

Create an account if you haven't already and use Genie-Soft's online technical support form http://www.genie-soft.com/support/contact_tech.html.  They also have Instant Messenger support and are usually online for a brief time in the mornings.  Let me know if you don't get a response in 24 hours.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 05:07:36 PM »

It was a scheduled backup. I'll have to do some more testing with duplicate data to see if it only happens on a scheduled backup.
I've sent a report to tech support
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 07:48:50 AM »

Here's the answer I got from Genie tech support:

We apologize for the inconvenience,

Infact there isn't a way to ensure the drive availability, using mirroring feature needs lots of attention, which you have to ensure that the both drives has to be turned on or not corrupted.

However you can use the incremental feature which won't delete any files if the source drive is turned off or corrupted, it just updates the added files and doesn't remove the deleted files, unless you activate the purging feature which will delete the old backup jobs or after how many times you do a backup job.

Thank you for the feed back which will be taken in consideration to be developed in future versions.

If you have further inquiries, please contact us again.

So it looks like I won't use scheduling with mirror backups. Maybe I'll just change them to incremental backups, though that will take up a lot more space since I don't want to use compression (I want to be able to access any image backup drives without having to run decompression software).
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »

Rod,

Looks like this only appears to be a problem when scheduling, but it is a problem none the less.  Hopefully Genie-soft will fix this.  Since I only mirror my current bucket, only my current bucket would be at risk.  If I were to lose that bucket, I still have a copy of those DNG's in my working files folders, which get backed up, as well as an offline copy of the original Raws.  So the risk is not that big for me.  Also, any additional metadata I may add after archiving, is kept in the catalog, so that's not a risk.

If I get the time, I will run the same test I ran earlier, but using a scheduled job instead.

A work around could be to just do a full scheduled uncompressed backup of your current bucket each night rather than a mirror job.  The current bucket size should always be less than or equal to about 4.4GB, which shouldn't take that long.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: