The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 02:27:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  A real hazard of mirroring with GBM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A real hazard of mirroring with GBM?  (Read 7742 times)
robcar

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »

I've been using Genie Backup Manager to mirror one external hard drive to another.  It's a simple process and I've had no problems till now.

But I made a small mistake -- I forgot to turn on the source drive.   When the second drive attempted to mirror the unpowered source drive it COMPLETELY DELTED every image on the second drive  Shocked

Even weirder, it left the folder structure intact so at first glance everything looked fine.

Is that just the nature of mirroring?  Or is it a horrendous design flaw of GBM?  And even if I always remeber now to have both drives turned on, what would happen if the first one failed during mirroring?  That would leave me in a real pickle!

I'll post this over at the GBM board too to see if there's any solutions.....

rob

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »

Rob,
At first blush, that sound like a serious design flaw in the mirroring software.
One question, was the source or destination controlling the mirroring?  If it was the source, then this is a huge problem, if it was the destination, then may more easily fixable.

The source should know that the drive is inaccessible, that therefore not overwrite the backup.  You might be in a situation where the source drive fails entirely. You would be very unhappy to discover that this failure triggered the deletion of the entire mirror backup.

If the problem was that the destination controlled the mirroring, and it screwed up when not seeing the original, then perhaps this could be fixed by having the source control the process.

In either case, you need to find out what the company says about this.
Peter
robcar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:58:27 PM »

Peter,

Both drives were external USB types and attached directly to my Dell where GBM resides.  So I don't really think one of the drives was controlling the mirroring process.

I've dropped a note to GBM tech support and am still awaiting their reply.  In the meantime, a big Post-It sits on both drives to remind me not to make that mistake again!
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:00:23 PM »

Rob,
In the configuration you're using, that is either a bug or a serious design flaw.
Peter
robcar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »

Looks as if this is a real problem with GBM 

The tech support response said that mirroring"will remove the backed up data if the source was turned off, that is because you are using mirror which is defined to deleted the missing data. However I have reported it to the developers in order to check if there is a way to work around it in such cases"

In other words, with the source drive off, the target drive will assume that it should it should delete all the data it can't see.

Hope they can fix this bug. It could be fatal to someone's entire hard drive.  Other than that, I still like the software..... 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »

Rob,
that behavior would mean that drive failure for the primary will kill the backup!  Run away from this situation.  If they offer no workaround, then you need to turn this software off (at least any automatic part) immediately.

Peter
lpendy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »

Hello,

Does anyone know if this issue has been addressed/fixed? I've been looking for new backup software but this issue makes me think twice about GBM.

Thanks!
Lyle
DJ Webb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 12:56:30 AM »

I'm using syncback but haven't tested what it'd do in _that_ situationn.
Mike777

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:58:25 AM »

I was using GBM until I read this thread (this forum is very good). I ran a small test and sure enough, the files were deleted.

To answer your question, Im not sure if they are fixing this issue or not, I uninstalled GBM immediatley and now use Norton save and restore.

Personally, I do not tolerate any mis behaving program on my computer.

Cheers
Mike
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »

This is the first time I've seen this thread.  Don't know how I missed this one.  I will test this this weekend on my LAN.  If it does what you say, this is definitely a serious problem and I will take it up with Genie-Soft to see that it gets fixed.

A nice feature of the latest release is it supports multi-DVD spanning for large data backups.  I don't need this for my DAM buckets, but it does come in handy for other non-bucketed media such as my internet application downloads which has grown to over 5GB's now.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
David Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:35:36 AM »

Personally, I do not tolerate any misbehaving program on my computer.

Mike,
On that basis, I assume that your computer now runs no programs at all  Grin

David  
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2006, 05:15:13 PM »

I just tested this with the latest release of GBM Pro 7.0 (Build 7.0.151.322).  I created a mirror job on PC1 to mirror over my LAN to PC2.  I ran the job and created the mirror on PC2 over the LAN.   I then powered down PC1 and disconnected the source drive.  I then powered PC1 back up and attempted to restore the mirror job back to the disconnected source drive.  In doing so I got the error dialog listed below.  The mirror backup image on PC2 was left undisturbed.  This leads me to believe that either the problem has been fixed in the latest version or two external USB drives is not being handled properly by GBM.  Rob, I would recommend making sure you have the latest version and upgrading and retesting if you do not.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 05:26:31 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006, 06:14:46 PM »

I too just tried an experiment. I use two external USB drives to mirror my image files.
I created a backup job to mirror a folder from one drive to the other. I then ran the back up.
I disconnected the source drive and tried to run the backup again and got an error message:  "No Data Selected, please select at least one item to backup"

rod

rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2006, 06:31:11 PM »

Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. I left my source drive off and an automatic backup of all the images on the source drive started. Well, much to my dismay, all the data on the mirror drive was wiped out.
Looks like I may need to look into other backup options as well

rod
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »

Rod,

You may want to contact Genie-soft technical support on this one.  I don't have USB drives so I can't test it.

Dan

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: