Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Exporting Jpegs from catalog viewer
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2020, 02:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Exporting Jpegs from catalog viewer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Exporting Jpegs from catalog viewer  (Read 3447 times)
paul_dymond

View Profile Email
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:12:56 PM »

Hi there everybody,

one of the ways I currently use iView is to send out catalogs of my images to book publishers for them to keep on file, along with a catalog viewer on the same disc. I embed Jpegs into the catalog so they can see a full screen image when they double click on an picture in the Thumbnail view, but there is no way for the publishers to export those jpegs and save them for using in mock-ups to show other people in the company. I know I can get around this by sticking full screen size images on the same disc as the catalog but this then means splitting my images into a number of discs (there's a lot of pictures!) which I would prefer not to do.

Does Expression Media enable people who receive a catalog and viewer from me to export those full screen jpegs and save them somewhere so they can use them in a mock-up or would I have to use the same workaround?

thanks for your help

Paul Dymond
Travel Photographer and Writer
http://pauldymond.blogspot.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »

Paul,
You can't export the previews out of a catalog with the reader (those that have the full version can, however).

You can have the reader launch the image into the default application for that file type, but the path to the file has to be absolute - it would take a bit of work. 

• Finalize the catalog,
• burn images  to a CD/DVD,
• repoint the catalog to the disk,
• Save the catalog, and
• burn catalog and files to a new disk.

At least that's how it occurs to me to do it right now.
Peter

paul_dymond

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »

Thanks for that Peter,

that's what I'm currently doing. It's not really much of a problem workflow wise, it just means that I have to split up my catalog in smaller bites so that I can fit the low res preview jpegs on the same disc. Publishers want to have a copy of low res files for mock-ups and don't want to have to contact me every time so I was just trying to find out if there was a way around it. I guess not.

The only other way around it I could think of was getting clients to take a screen grab of the image when seen in the Media tab, but of course the problem with that is there's no metadata in the file.

cheers

Paul Dymond
Travel Photographer and Writer
http://pauldymond.blogspot.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »

Paul,
Do you watermark the images?  Sending disks out like that would probably make me nervous.
Peter
paul_dymond

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 03:12:04 AM »

Hi Peter,

I surely do watermark everything. I have one client only that I don't watermark anything. It's a publishing company run by a single owner that I've worked with for many years and she just uses the 1024x768 images in the one annual publication she does and sends me a cheque and a copy of the book every year! Every year it's my easiest stock sale because I never have to do anything except send her a new disc every year for her to look at new pictures. Everyone else gets the watermark for sure.

Which reminds me, the steps for including the images and the catalog on a disc - you don't need to burn two discs.

All you need to do is save the images to the DVD first and in the disc burning software tick the little check box that allows you to burn on to the same disc multiple times. When you've burnt the images onto the disc you point your iView catalog to the images on it and save the catalog with a different name - say XX Catalog disc. Because you're allowed to burn to the disc multiple times you can then just burn that catalog to the same disc.

Apparently older software has difficulties with discs that have been burnt more than twice but if you only do it those two times then you're safe. I haven't had a client unable to read the discs yet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: