The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 11:31:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  The second edition is even better...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The second edition is even better...  (Read 4270 times)
Cees Maas

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:58:05 AM »

I just finished reading the new volume of The DAM Book, and my humble conclusion is that it's even better than the first volume. The author used the feedback he got after publishing the first edition years ago, and combined that well with the newest developments in software, photograpic technologies and hard drive-storage. And with his own study and personal developments. 
Software, computer systems and camera bodies change breathtaking fast, but a well build DAM archiving system, as teached in the book, preserve the photographs and remains timeless and accessible for long in the future to come.
Therefore, the book is a 'must have' and a standard work for every serious photographer and any photographic education institute.

I was very pleased with the philosophy of author Peter Krogh about photography, its future and its place in modern society.
The way the author thinks about that was actually the main reason for writing the books.
On the very basic of this book stands a clear journalistic, artistic and scientific vision.
Peter Krogh believes in the power and the importance of the photograpic image. As a blend of arts and science the photograph remains one of the most important creative artifacts that we produce, he writes.
As a pro-photographer with a digital archive that passes the 300.000 images, the author shows no cynicism for amateurism in photography.
On the contrary. Photography as a whole nowadays, in his opinion, is producing an extraordinary record  of the history of our world.

The way digital photography has been further democratized the last years makes it even more important to secure the various collections for the future. May it be World Press Photos or family shots. That's where the DAM system comes in.

I hope the book becomes a world wide bestseller.

Excuse my wrecking English, it is not my native language.

Cees Maas

NJHeart2Heart

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:43:13 AM »

I have often been impressed by the language abilities people overseas.  Your message was clear and I smiled at the phrase "my wrecking English".  Although it's not something that is said normally in the U.S.  I loved it enough to respond Smiley

Dawn in NJ, USA
Cees Maas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »

Although it's off topic, you are right about the language.
For non-British European people it is sometimes difficult to sense differences in written British-English and written USA-English.
We were teached ( a bit) British at school, but ( a lot of) American on tv.
Furthermore, it's indeed a dam good book.
And thanks to the many illustrations international good understandable.
Thanks for your reply, Dawn.

it's raining cats and dogs here in Holland, excellent weather for archiving an image of 45.000,
or so.
Cees
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:57:38 AM by Cees Maas » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: