Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lightroom, buckets, moving folders
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 12:58:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Lightroom, buckets, moving folders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lightroom, buckets, moving folders  (Read 5857 times)
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »

(I assume this has been covered, but I wasn't able to find anything via searches. If this has already been covered I'd appreciate a lead with finding the thread(s).) (eta: I just found this thread: http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=3921.0   feel free to delete this thread if it's redundant. - Jim)

I have one LR catalog with all of my raw images. I've recently had the problem of ingesting a folder of images from a shoot, and then flagging/rating them. Then, using the OS X finder, I sometimes need to split that shoot folder in two or 3 folders to fit into buckets, which screws things up in LR obviously. Sometimes I've been able to straighten this out using "synchronize folder" and/or "find missing folder," but then sometimes I lose my rating/flag info.

Would I be better off with a working LR catalog for ingesting/ranking/adding metadata, and then importing into the raw catalog after setting the buckets up? Any other workflow suggestions for LR and buckets? I just noticed that Beardy has a bucket plugin for LR which I will check out.

Thanks,

Jim
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 06:29:05 PM by jimtron » Logged

markpirozzi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

Jim,

Don't use the Finder to split the files into buckets.  Create folders and add them to LR, and then move the files into the folders using LR.  (I assume you are moving the files within the same volume which means the files don't really move and there is no need to make a validated copy.)  You can create empty folders in the Finder and add them to LR using the 'New Folder' command in the Library menu - navigate to the folder you want to add and select it instead of clicking the 'New Folder' button.  You could use the same command to create the folders, but I think it is more convenient to create several folders in the Finder first.

I have downloaded John's plugin.  The plugin seems to work for giving the total size of a group of files and seems to be the best bet to simplify the split into buckets operation, but I haven't used it in a 'real' split into buckets situation yet.

Mark

Mac OSX 10.7, 2009 MacPro
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:31:05 PM »

I have downloaded John's plugin.  The plugin seems to work for giving the total size of a group of files and seems to be the best bet to simplify the split into buckets operation, but I haven't used it in a 'real' split into buckets situation yet.

I have, and that was exactly what led me to write it. Now, I suppose a more advanced version could even give one value (in a label or custom field) to images until it reaches 4Gb and then give the next value to the next group. Such a plug-in is doable, though my feeling was that it was overkill.

John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: