The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 04:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Questions from "The DAM Book" 2nd Edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Questions from "The DAM Book" 2nd Edition  (Read 25611 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »

Peter,

Yes, makes sense.  I will add this task to my 2nd Edition ToDo list, which I plan to post once completed.  I'm making a second pass through the book right now just to solidify everything; makes a big difference, at least for me.  For example, while reading back through chapter 3, on p. 89 you said with regards to the ratings, "Likewise, your time creating custom keywords will be much better spent if you work mostly on your best pictures."  I've been custom keywording the whole job every time thinking I might want to see those neutral shots in keyword searches; however, I realize now that I can easily get to those shots from the rated ones if necessary.  That in itself will speed up my workflow.  It's picking up the little things like this that make the difference.

Probably be another week before I get started on everything.  I will definitely want to prioritize the ToDo list as well.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 02:34:05 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2009, 06:29:01 AM »

Peter,

I'm going to put this one on my ToDo list as well http://www.genie-soft.com/products/genie_timeline/default.html.  If this works out, I think I will try to use it for my online Working Files folders.  It looks very similar to CrashPlan.  Doing this should allow me to avoid the use of swappers by providing unlimited versioning.  I would hope that it provides the option to delete files after so many days like CrashPlan.  I will have to test to make sure the versioning happens only to the metadata.  Have you checked to see if CrashPlan only backs up the metadata changes in DNG's, derivatives, etc.?  Raw files with sidecars would not be an issue.  I would of course continue to use one offline mirrored working files dirve.  Once I go to BluRay, I may add in a second offsite swapper since the buckets will be hanging around in the Working File folders much longer.

I also plan to keep using CrashPlan for my onsite/offsite system/programs/user files.  It will be interesting to see if the two work in harmony together.  Hopefully one day these apps will support multiple databases.  I'll post my findings when the time comes.  It's still in Beta.

Dan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:03:07 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2009, 05:32:34 PM »

Dan,
I'm pretty sure CrashPlan is only saving the changes.  It's also supposed to be format-smart, so it should know there's a file header separate from image data.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2009, 07:18:16 PM »

Ok, here is my ToDo list so far http://danaltick.backpackit.com/pub/1759813.  I still have a few chapters to go on the second read of the book, so this list is apt to grow some more.  Hopefully this list will benefit others.

Peter,

I emailed you a private link to edit the list if you see any problems with it.  You can drag items up and down, add to the list, and edit/create comments to the right of each item.  I think I've got it prioritized right, but if you see any gross errors feel free to correct them.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:01:07 AM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2009, 07:32:49 PM »

Doesn't look like the comments come through on the shared page (kinda sucks).  I'll post them below for those items that have comments:

Cleanup and restructure master catalog
Compare and contrast my catalog sets with the book.
Review and adjust ratings where necessary.
Cleanup and restructure the following fields: copyright, rights usage, Place Finder, Events, Catalog Sets, People.
Look for and correct duplication of keywords across multiple fields.
Add large grouping keywords such as Jobs, Personal, Stock, Assignment, Landscape, Portrait, Vertical, Horizontal.
Add abstract keywords to best images.

Migrate archive to DNG 1.2 spec
1. Make sure catalog of existing buckets is up-to-date.
2. Push all metadata into the files.
3. Perform System Mechanic check on primary and backup drives.
4. Use Auto Hard Disk Monitor to check SMART data on the primary and backup drives.
5. Run the DNG converter on the primary drive, targeting the backup drive, with "Preserve Folder Structure" checked.
5. Confirm that no errors were encounrtered in the processing.
6. If other file-types were in the folders and left behind, use Syncback with validation to copy them to the new folders on the backup drive.
7. Catalog the new files on the backup drive. Make sure numbers match in folders.
8. Reconfirm an equal number of files exist in the source and the destination drives.
9. Do a quick visual inspection of the files using the catalog manager thumbnails, looking for any visual corruption (colored bands like shown on page 249.
10. Perform a Syncback validated transfer from the backup to the primary drive.
11. Reconnect the catalog from the backup drive to the new validated archive on the primary drive.
12. Take backup drive offsite.
13. You're done. Open a Carlsberg (two if necessary).

Setup Working Files folders according to the book
Includes adding catalogs, drop folder, and new originals pipeline.

Create new IIP presets according to the book
Create tiered presets for both job, personal, client, project work where applicable, p. 263.
Setup to use new Working Files Landing Zone folder

Burn new DNG 1.2 buckets to DVD
Burn at slower than top speed.
Store offsite.

Test and integrate Genie Timeline for online working files
If successful, this will replace Syncback for the online Working Files folders.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 11:02:18 AM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:49 AM »

Peter,

Couple of questions from Chapter 11, the "Expression Media Workflow" section:

1. Do you do your custom keywording after the files have been added to EM, but while still in the Transfer Me folder?

2. Do you sync the metadata back to the files before moving them to the archive?

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2009, 02:30:02 PM »

Dan,
Depends.
Custom keywords are generally added as necessary. If a job is on the fast track, and there's a reason to add keywords, they might still be in the working folder somewhere.

And as to syncing, I would typically want to archive and backup before touching the files much.  Again, a particular job might need that work done earlier.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 05:28:01 PM »

Peter,

I think I'm getting a mixed message here.  On the one hand, you say you like to do the groupings (I assume you mean custom metadata when you say this as opposed to catalog sets which require EM) and adjustments while the files are in the working stage so that this information will be embedded in the DNG's before archiving, so it will make its way to the backups.  In the Bridge/ACR/EM workflow where do you do the groupings, Bridge or EM?  If you do this in EM, wouldn't you want to sync them before archiving?  On the other hand above you're telling me you would typically want to archive and backup before touching the files much.  I'm confused.  Please explain.  Thanks.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:32:24 PM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »

Dan,
I'm not particularly concerned about when I do the work, as long as I have confidence that I can preserve the groupings in backup and restore the data if necessary.

Given that, I do my groupings as the need arises. If it makes sense to group images before proof delivery to client, I'll do that.  If I want to deliver proofs and archive the shoot before I make a portfolio grouping or stock search grouping, I'll happily archive the shoot first, and then do the grouping.

I generally don't do much custom keywording until there is a reason to.  The most important determinant as to when stuff is done, is that there is a real need to do so.

That said, if I know there is some work that I'll need to do to the files in the near-term, and I can choose between doing it now, or waiting a short while until after the files have been archived, I'd lean toward doing it before archiving. 

Does that clear it up?
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »

Peter,

When you say groupings (here and in the book) I don't know if you mean catalog sets or custom keywords.

I know that you shouldn't create catalog sets until the need arises, but I thought you liked to add some custom keywords to every shoot just to make them easier to find in the catalog.  Do you treat custom keywords the same way you treat catalog sets (i.e. do as needed)?  Maybe I'm just confused with your terminology.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:38:25 AM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »

Peter,

I read back through the workflow and catalog chapters and I think I have a clearer picture now.  It sounds like groupings can include custom metadata, labels, location, and/or catalog sets; basically any means of grouping the images.  I think I also understand your approach to custom metadata now (i.e. do enough to uniquely identify the job or any requirements of the shoot and save the rest for later when needed).  I can also understand a slight corruption risk to syncing the metadata to the DNG's while in the "Transfer Me" folder.

You have definitely made some changes to your workflow that I'm anxious to adopt, but a few things have thrown me for a loop here initially.  Hopefully I have it figured out now; at least for the time being ;-).

Just curious though, when you do a personal shoot of family and relatives, say an event, do you custom keyword their individual names during the working files stage (i.e. Bridge) or after archiving (i.e. EM)?  In otherwords, do you worry about whether that data makes its way into the files?

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »

Dan,
I will only add custom keywords like family names if there is a reason to. (Doing a slideshow right away of current work, for instance). Otherwise I save it for later.

case in point. Recently daughter Maddy was doing a school project and wanted to use some pictures of herself.  I had her look through the entire personal archive tagging those images. She looked through something like 40,000 pictures and found a lot of great stuff.  Now there is a very complete Maddy group in every catalog.

It's a lot more efficient to do this to a lot of files at once.

Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »

Peter,

Makes sense and saves me that much more time.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 06:59:37 AM by danaltick » Logged

danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 07:03:35 AM »

Peter,

Question about EM2:  Do you know if they plan to support exporting and importing metadata to/from the catalogs; other than the very limited Notepad feature?  Sounds like it would be relatively easy to do.  This would allow you to easily move metadata between the catalogs without having to sync the files.  You could just export the metadata of selected files in a catalog to an XMP file that could then be imported by another catalog, or better yet, just drag and drop selected images from one catalog to another.  This would be great for handling project, satellite, and distribution catalogs.

Dan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:35:43 AM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »

Dan,
I would not expect to see this in the near term.
Peter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: