The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:48:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Scans and Camera Scans
| | |-+  Coolscan LS-2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Coolscan LS-2000  (Read 5391 times)
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:36:11 AM »

I was given a Nikon Coolscan LS-2000 that apparently had been used by a photographer with a MAC (25 pin SCSI connection). I did some research, and learned that XP apparently can still use this behemoth, with a SCSI card and proper connections. I looked at e-bay for cost of cables and cards, and can get something that might work for about $30-40. It has the one at a time slide cartridge, and is a bit dusty, but powers up and appears to be functioning.

I know this unit is about 10 years old, and despite my curiosity and willingness to put in a SCSI card and try this, my question is whether the scans from this unit would be worth the effort. Nikon still posts software for it, and it appears that it can scan about a 10-12mb file. It sounds like it would be better than my HP all in one (C7128 I believe is the model).

Any thoughts on this, or is it not worth the time and expense? I would attach it to the oldest computer on my network, and scan to a drive and then process.

Thanks.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:12:05 AM »

Bill,
It's probably only worth it if you only need a few scans every now and then.
Peter
qhorque

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »

I know this is an old thread but wanted to put in my two cents.

I've had an LS-2000 for over 10  years and have scanned over 1300 slides and negatives with it so far, basically my parent's collected photos over the last 60 years, as well as some of my own over the last 25.  It's not the fastest scanner on the planet but, when released, was one of the top (if not the top) film scanners out there.  I recently had it serviced which brought it back to like new condition and it still works great.  Over the years, the grease/lubricant used in the scanner gummed up a bit and the fix was to have it fully cleaned and re-lubricated with a better product.  There is a guy on the world's most popular auction site who will refurbish it for only $100 and he did great professional work.  I still have about 2000 more to go and believe the scanner will complete the task.

The max stated resolution is 2700dpi though actual is bound to be a bit less (I recently bought a resolution target slide and have just not yet had the time to scan it and see what it tells me) but all my scans so far have been at 2700 and they all look great.

I have used both Lasersoft Silverfast (versions 5 and 6) and VueScan Pro and, depending on the condition of the slide/negative, each one produces decent output though I do have to struggle sometimes to get adequate output (I blame the software more than the hardware since the variable that does not change is the hardware).  The scanner does have quite high dynamic range which really brings out detail in dark areas but I generally have to do some multiple passes which slows down the scanning considerably.  However, the results are excellent for a consumer level product.

The one thing to watch out for is that the scanner is SCSI and requires a SCSI interface.  Sadly, SCSI in Windows is waning and it's difficult to find reasonably priced adapters that even work with Windows Vista or Windows 7.  I need to keep an installation of XP handy to use the LS-2000 without problems and I have yet to really get the scanner functioning fully in Windows 7.  That's the only reason I can see that would prevent someone from continuing to use an LS-2000.

There are updated LS-5000s on auction sites but they are being sold for outrageously high prices.  If you have a lot of images to scan, I would still recommend buying one of those as they have USB interfaces and are faster with higher resolution. But if you got the LS-2000 for free and can work with it in XP, there's no reason you shouldn't use it.  The quality of the output is excellent if you are willing to work with the software a bit.

Good luck!

Robert
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: