Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
SP2 [build 2096]: Crash on converting DNG
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  SP2 [build 2096]: Crash on converting DNG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SP2 [build 2096]: Crash on converting DNG  (Read 6974 times)
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:55 AM »

Can anybody please check for this:

I tried to use xMedia's Convert Images to make a JPEG derivative from a DNG file. xMedia crashed, every time I tried it.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »

Didn't happen here, Dierk, on Windows XPPro, build 2096.

John
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:19:05 AM »

Not happening on my Mac version (10.5.6  SP2 build 2096)

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 06:53:47 AM »

Dierk,
Are you using the embedded preview or having the OS render raw data?
Peter
Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »

For those interested, I have two crahs logs from PCInspector lying around. I also tested this with a number of DNGs, always got a crash. It's not restricted to get a JPEG derivative but also if I want DNG->TIFF.

Note the missing contents in the drop-downs; this is the [insert expletive] EXPO registry tree bug. Since this doies not give me trouble with NEFs, PSD or TIFFs, I doubt it is this causing the crash.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:07:21 AM by Dierk » Logged

Dierk

roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:54:57 PM »

Hi Dierk,

Sorry to report no problem here either. I noticed your color depth and quality values are empty.

FWIW xMedia uses QuickTime to convert images and I'm on QT7.3.1. IIRC you upgraded QT for security? Maybe try a different version of QT.

-- Robert.

Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:52:35 AM »

- QT 7.6.x - surely won't go back. Safety is worth more.
- Converting other file formats [TIFF and NEF] does not crash xMedia.
- Color Depth and Quality drop-down entries are lost after using the dialogue the first time. The EXPO key written into the registry seems to be faulty; if I delete it, the drop-downs appear correct. One of my three pet bugs.
- While there is a very slight chance this EXPO bug affects DNG conversion only [see above] I doubt it. Not least because I could use the dialogue for DNGs without the program crashing before [incl. faulty build 2092]. Nevertheless, I will check this this morning.

[Edit]
Done some more testing, partially with a reg settings file Anita sent me. Here's what I wrote back to Anita in an e-mail:

[T]he EXPO key is written when I first open the Convert Image Files dialogue. Afterwards the EXPO key exists but the drop-downs are empty. From time to time, usually when I need to change one of these characteristics, I delete the EXPO key, so the drop-downs get populated again.

[...]

To be quite clear: This bug is essentially just an annoyance for the time being; it never affected making derivatives from files. If this was [I am antedating here] the problem I wouldn't have been able to get derivatives at all - regardless of source file format.

Did I mention I was able to use the function without crash until very recently [build 2092!] with NEF, TIFF, PSD, JPG, JP2, PNG [all are still working] and DNG?

[...]

[The] registry file gave me - other than my method explained above - the correct values in the drop-downs, though that could be a fluke [i.e. this time JPEG instead of TIFF was set as default]. Selected several DNGs, tried to get derivatives [same procedure as before], xMedia crashes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:06:46 AM by Dierk » Logged

Dierk

Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »

Alright, I have some solutions though the actual analysis is still standing out.

1. The crash.
We don't know why this happened but it has to do with the NEF codec for WIC from Nikon. I guess the developers are looking into this a bit closer; the codec was called when I chose DNGs to be converted even though the DNGs come from original Canon CRW files. It seems my codec was a little bit older, worked alright on NEFs but whenever the DNG conversion was imminent crashed the whole thing. I installed a newer version [the one current about two weeks ago] and haven't had a crash anymore.

2. The empty drop-downs.
Again, we don't know how this happened but all my files named '4' in the EXPO directory of the saved option sets turned out to be corrupt. They should be around 48 byte; mine were 181 byte. With a pristine '4' file Anita sent me I was able to re-create my option sets with correct '4' files. Several tests today show the problem solved [for now].

Dierk

Dierk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »

Seems my option sets were mostly left-over from before the update from v1 to v2 - precisely before the change from Quicktime; the option sets of v1 and v2 are not compatible with each other.

Dierk

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: