Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How much quality can you get in previews?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  How much quality can you get in previews?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How much quality can you get in previews?  (Read 11116 times)
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »

Robert,

IView and EM 1.0 have color management issues that EM 2.0 I was hoping would solve but it is not the case.

MS confirmed that Previews on TIFs and JPGs are NOT color managed so using EM for OFFLINE image selection is pratically useless (images are off color). Online views are ok (NOT using Light Table however).

MS says that has no release plans for a SP3 at this moment. For me the preview color management issue on EM is CRITICAL.

I don't know if Peter Krogh tested this behaviour creating the second edition of his book.

I am evaluating a strategy to use EM 2.0 on DAM workflow even with this glitch but is not easy (using ProPhotoRGB profile for master and print file makes things worse).

Massimo

Massimo,

Microsoft sells knowingly malfunctioning software.

There isn't even a plan to fix this problem?

What a rip-off.

Microsoft - never again!

No color management. For photography. This is insane.

I will ditch EM2, and continue working with Bridge CS3. Otherwise, photo management becomes a Tantalus effort, and takes too much time off my actual work.

I will see if I can keyword my photo collection in Bridge CS3, and when Photo Mechanic comes out with DAM software, I'll get that one.

I will have no catalogue, but the keywords and the file structure will allow me to find images.

-Robert
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:24:06 PM by Absolute Chaos » Logged
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 05:25:40 AM »

Robert,

MS confirmed that has opened a file record to fix the issue . I also given a series of images to test the noticed behaviour.

EM features are different from those of a simple browser. Offline catalogue are also needed for a real DAM activity.

To Peter:

I mostly agree with You, but I have some need to have correct color management on derivatives. I however found a workaround for the TIFF/JPEG unmanaged preview problem: create a catalog with ONLY 640x480 thumbnail WITHOUT checking the preview creation. EM will then use the real image (correctly color managed) when the file is ONLINE and will use the 640x480 thumbnail (correctly color managed) instead of the preview when the file is OFFLINE. It creates even smaller catalog files than those using previews.

I use PSD for master files (layered) and TIFF/JPEG for print/delivery (flattened) so this workaround works for now.

Hopefully MS will fix it (and the catalog will need to be recreated..sigh).

Massimo
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »

Massimo,
The catalog may not need to be recreated - maybe only the previews rebuilt.
Peter

And,  Robert - *all* software has bugs. As discussed elsewhere in this forum, the current version of Photoshop has a bug that will strip all metadata from your files if the date created field is blank.

I understand that wrestling with software bugs is one of the least pleasurable things on the planet (trust me, I *really* know that). But we try to keep things in perspective and civil around here. Remember that when you're denigrating software, it's some else's work product. We are able to get the people who write software to come by here because we can keep things on a factual level, mostly, without letting emotion get the upper hand.

Peter

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »

Well, I think Robert maybe went too far, but I do give him credit for making me delve into Greek mythology to understand his reference to a "Tantalus effort". To quote one of the sites I checked: "... the gods imprisoned Tantalus to the underworld above water he could reach to quench his thirst and too far below fruit to stave off his hunger."

So, I give Robert 1 star for tact and 5 stars for literacy.

--Marc

Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »

The catalog may not need to be recreated - maybe only the previews rebuilt.

Peter,

I know, but the simple rebuild of previews forces to re-open all the offlined buckets for image access. And I use three levels of buckets...

Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: