Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How much quality can you get in previews?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:48:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  How much quality can you get in previews?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How much quality can you get in previews?  (Read 11115 times)
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2009, 12:38:14 AM »

Before I bought EM2 I used first Lightroom, later Bridge.

My experience with Bridge was, that even at the highest level of preview quality, the image did not look as good as when opened in Photoshop.

Especially when images were sharpened to the limit (referring to Dan Margulis' methods as described in "Professional Photoshop") the images did not look good as, let's say in Photoshop at 25% or 50% view.

What can I do to get maximum image quality?

I know there are choices for the preview creation. It will embed a jpg in the catalogue, if I am right here.

Is this my only option? Does all catalogue previewing work like this?

Thank you for your comments.

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 05:06:10 AM »

Robert,
There are several things you could be looking at-

1. The catalog thumbnal - this is a JPEG file, up to 640 pixels on the long side
2. A "full screen catalog preview" - this is also a JPEG, but can be up to 1280 (IIRC) on the long side.

Both of those have JPEG quality settings - high, medium and low.

3. When connected to the actual file, a double-click loads the file into the program (viewed with Quicktime or WIC). You can see it at natural resolution. (If the file is a raw file, you're probably best looking at an embedded preview, but that would not always be the case, depending on how ou are treating the raws.)

Does that help?
Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »

Thanks, Peter.

I actually set the preview quality to 1280, and have EM create these for the catalogue.

Now, when I compare those previews to the original, they are wrong, off in both color and brightness and not useable for getting a real impression of the image.

When I uncheck "display previews at all times" then the file is correct, but it's painfully slow (3 seconds to show the image after the click on the media tab).

I have the choice between a bad preview and a painfully slow preview at this time.

PS: I haven't found a setting to increase the size of the thumbnails. I have the full manual in PDF format, but can't find it.

-Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 06:43:34 PM »

I just installed SP2, and will see if that improves things for TIFFs created by Photoshop CS3.

-Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »

Update for SP2:

TIFFs are no longer darker, but color management does not work.

It's like viewing your own website with Opera - or any other non-colormanaged browser.

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:03:34 AM »

Robert,
Is the color wrong in all views - Thumbnail, Media and Light Table?
Even with "Display Preview at all times" unchecked?
Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 12:54:04 AM »

Peter,

It's wrong in Media and LightTable.

I didn't check the thumbnails.

It concerns TIFFs, not JPEGs.

They got better since build 1477 (which you still get when you download EM2  now), which has horrible media view from TIFFs, wrong color AND too dark.

Now the brightness is OK, but the color is comparable to viewing the same image with a non-color managed browser. For portraits, it looks like a red skin disease.

I informed microsoft and talked to Anita Oakley on the phone.

She confirmed the bug, but says that she doesn't get it "always".

-Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:58:16 AM »

Just a thought:

There is a chance this bug has a connection to file size.

Someone who knows how EM 2 works can possibly say if this is a viable idea.

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »

Robert
Is this happening to *all* TIFFs?  OR just some with certain profiles/bit depth/layers?

If you take on the JPEGs that displays fine and save it as a TIFF, do the two files render differently in Expression?

Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »

Peter,

Microsoft customer service put the bug on their list.

The lack of color management concerns TIFFs in Wide Gamut RGB and ProPhoto RGB.

Possibly other color spaces, too. But I have no Tiffs in other color spaces.

It is very strong, putting a odd red cast on images. As I shoot portraits, it makes EM 2 not useable for me, as it destroys skin tones I fight pretty hard for.

They may fix this bug (I wonder why nobody has found it before me), but who knows how long this will take.

I simply can't browse through images like this.

I'm thinking of trying Photo Mechanic. Sure, it doesn't have a catalogue, but still keywording. This time I'll download the trial before paying.

PS: is it legal to sell one's license?

-Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 12:47:51 AM »

Peter,

There is another issue.

I purchased EM 2 together with Capture One 4.

I like Capture One 4 very much.

Now, the manual says, the RAW images are seen through either the Apple RAW converter, or through "Manufacturer".

There is no choice which " manufacturer".

Does that mean CR2's are seen through DPP?

Or does that mean that RAW images converted by Capture One 4 are seen through Capture One 4? For me, this is important, as images display differently seen through those 2 RAW converters.

-Robert
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 02:29:13 AM »

Hi Absolute

I also noted and documented to MS the color management bugs on wide color spaces on Windows on "Preview" viewing.

Anita investigated the note and opened the issue file for Windows EM (may be Your issue is filed as only related to Mac).

So the problem seems related to the Color Management algorithm in both Windows AND Mac!

There are problems on Nikon NEFs also.

Let's wait for a patch now.

Massimo
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47:03 PM »

Massimo,

With all those bugs I wonder if EM isn't just outdated software.

I used Lightroom before, and never had any trouble.

It's because Capture One is my RAW converter of choice that I needed a different image organization software.

I could imagine that older software like EM(former iView Media Pro) has originally been built for older operating systems, that worked quite differently than today's.

Maybe some software is just a hell of a work for a software engineer to adapt. (or: were those color management failures also evident in iView Media Pro? Were photographers less demanding in those days, did they accept sloppy color management?)

-Robert
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:18:36 AM »

Robert,

IView and EM 1.0 have color management issues that EM 2.0 I was hoping would solve but it is not the case.

MS confirmed that Previews on TIFs and JPGs are NOT color managed so using EM for OFFLINE image selection is pratically useless (images are off color). Online views are ok (NOT using Light Table however).

MS says that has no release plans for a SP3 at this moment. For me the preview color management issue on EM is CRITICAL.

I don't know if Peter Krogh tested this behaviour creating the second edition of his book.

I am evaluating a strategy to use EM 2.0 on DAM workflow even with this glitch but is not easy (using ProPhotoRGB profile for master and print file makes things worse).

Massimo
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 07:54:47 AM »

Massimo,
I agree this is problematic, and I thought it would be fixed by now.
As to using EM for workflow, I don't find that this problem puts a large roadblock, as much as it is just plain annoying. 

I tend to create only a few TIFFs - master files and delivery files, mostly.

• If I'm going to send an image out for something, the image will have to be online, so I can see them with color management in Media view.
• If I have to choose between several versions, I can use View Option tools to see which one is most recent, where it was saved, etc. 

So for archive management, the color issue does not have a huge impact on me.  Hopefully they will get it fixed.

Peter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: