Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What is the best workflow with Expression Media 2 and Capture One 4?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 12:12:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  What is the best workflow with Expression Media 2 and Capture One 4?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What is the best workflow with Expression Media 2 and Capture One 4?  (Read 10036 times)
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:52:31 PM »

I just got Expression Media 2 and Capture One 4.

Now I have to organize my workflow to take advantage of this great software.

I have two fields of learning.

1. IMPORTING THE IMAGES I HAVE

a. Canon CR2 RAWs.

To be able to work on images in Capture One 4, I need to import them into the Capture One 4 library (if I'm not mistaken). What happens is, that this library not just imports it, it copies the images into its own folder.

I will probably do that, and then erase the old copies.

And then, do I import them into  Expression Media 2?

Is that the right way to do it?

b. DNGs.

Unfortunately, I have a few thousand RAW images that are DNGs - which cannot be worked on in Capture One 4.

So, these I guess I will have to only import into Expression Media 2, and have to use a different RAW converter. I wish I still had the original Pentax RAWs!

B. NEW IMPORTS

Would you suggest that I import using Expression Media? If yes, is there  a way to use Capture One as standard software?

I am interested in putting keywords and Copyright info right into the file at import. I want to make sure that whatever new image I open, will be opened in Capture One 4.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks. Robert.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:56:08 PM by Absolute Chaos » Logged
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 02:47:43 AM »

Hi Robert,

It's a bit a bit a of a convoluted workflow right now until Phase One can honour embedded metadata like they did in Capture One v3. Nevertheless...

1. Download using a third party app that lest you back up to a second drive. eg. ImageIngester, which can add your Copyright and Contact info.

2. Have your download app send your images to Expression Media after ingest. Use a disposable Expression Media Catalog for reviewing each job.

3. In Expression Media review and rate images you want to convert. The Light Table view is good for reviewing. Annotate relevant fields (keywords, etc).

4. Move rated images to a sub folder called something like "Selects". Capture One doesn't use the Adobe/Expression Media Star rating system so you need another way to send only your selects to be converted.

5. In Capture One 4 and open your Selects folder.

6. Adjust and convert to taste. Point your Capture One "Output" folder to open converted images in Expression Media.

7. Copy annotations using built-in script from Raws to Derivatives. Sync annotations.

8. Archive and Catalog.

FWIW Capture One 4 supports DNG.

Edit: N.B. Capture One does not use a catalog so you do not import images like in Lightroom or Bibble 5. It works like an image browser, the same as Adobe Bridge.

-- Robert.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:17:11 AM by roberte » Logged

Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »

Thanks, roberte.

What's new to me, is:

1. You recommend Image Ingester, not EOS utility? Image Ingester is in a kind of transition, now in version 3 (no more free versions, cost:40$) but no manual yet (still the old 2.4 version manual pdf online)

2. So, you download first, and THEN send the images to Expression Media using Im.Ing.? Not import them  from ] from Expression Media.

3. When the images are in Expression Media, I then assign the keywords. (not at import).

PS: Is there a way to make the background of Expression Media dark like Bridge or Capture One are? The white is just too blinding. I prefer setting the background of all my applications to a dark tone, even the file browser background, but I can't find any menu for doing that in Expression media.

- Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

Actually, there is a manual for version 3.2

It's just harder to find than the old version.

http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/pubs/ImageIngester-2008-08-12-3.2-0.pdf

Only: the link does not work, and you can't see it nor download it.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »

Robert,
You can alter the background in the thumbnail area with View Options.
Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:02:20 PM »

Thanks, Peter.

I found this one.

But the folder view section is still blinding bright. No chance to change that?

I have another question, related to import.

I'm just reading through the manual of Expression Media 2, and it allows me to import files.

What's the advantage of buying another software (Image Ingester) just for importing. Looks like I could do the same thing with EM 2.

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »

Robert,
ImageIngerster Pro is significantly more capable, as far as the downloading/ingestion process is concerned.
HAve you read my book, by any chance?
Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »

No, I haven't read it yet.

Regarding Image Ingester: I just bought two pieces of software I have to get familiar with.

I'd rather not have a third new software just yet.

Image Ingester is on my shopping list.

I'm trying to cover the basics here first, and then advance, developing my processes from simple to complex instead of doing everything at once.

-Robert
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 04:05:22 AM »

Robert,

Good news for Capture One users. Version 4.6.3 now honours some embedded metadata. It looks like legacy IPTC is supported but IPTC Core and XMP is ignored. Nevertheless it means one less step in the workflow. You can download and add bulk metadata including copyright, then add keywords, etc in Expression Media. New workflow could be:

1. Download using a third party app that lest you back up to a second drive. eg. ImageIngester, which can add your Copyright and Contact info.

2. Have your download app send your images to Expression Media after ingest. Use a disposable Expression Media Catalog for reviewing each job.

3. In Expression Media review and rate images you want to convert. The Light Table view is good for reviewing. Annotate relevant fields (keywords, etc).

4. Move rated images to a sub folder called something like "Selects". Capture One doesn't use the Adobe/Expression Media Star rating system so you need another way to send only your selects to be converted.

5. In Capture One 4 and open your Selects folder.

6. Adjust and convert to taste.

7. Archive and Catalog.

Yes ImageIngester is much more useful than the Canon EOS Utility. No you can't make the Expression Media folders panel grey or black. I recommend using a controlled vocabulary in Expression Media rather than adding keywords ad hoc during download.

-- Robert.

Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:21:26 PM »

Robert,

Thanks for the workflow.

As for me, I'm still running Capture One 4.1.1

That's the latest version you can use when you are still on OS X Tiger (10.4.11). Everything after is Leopard only.

I guess I'll have to ingest without metadata, send the images to EM, and then apply metadata there.

-Robert
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 04:37:09 PM »

Hi Robert,

That would work. Apply bulk metadata is easy with a template but you have to remember to do it.
Even more important is making a back up on download. yhat reason alone is worth the price of ImageIngester.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: