Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
CS4: super slow? what's going on?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 06:10:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  CS4: super slow? what's going on?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CS4: super slow? what's going on?  (Read 7655 times)
kevs

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »

I'm in CS4, and I'm painting white on a black layer mask, and I'm getting thirty second delays between my brushstoke and it taking effect? What going on???

CS4 is advertised as being much faster than CS3. I went back to CS3 and the speed is fine/normal in CS3.

Also bizarre is the brushstokes in CS4 look like this (click new window):
http://img16.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1yof.jpg

As opposed to CS3, which look normal like this:
http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture2m.jpg

thanks
kevs
--
CS4
mac/10.4.12
G5 dual 1.8
Canon 5D

KEVS CS3/ MAC 10.4.11
Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »

You are probably experiencing difficulty with CS4's new OpenGL support for 3D video cards, as are many other users. The discussion of this issue has raged on Adobe forums (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ee6b366/?@384.r3n9iUauZ6b@) for several months. Go to the forums page, and you'll see a number of topics on this subject. If you're brave, look for the main thread there entitled "Photoshop CS4 is a disaster", which had over 800 posts the last time I checked. If you start a new thread there, maybe you can get someone who has followed the issue to summarize the current situation for you.

I experienced similar problems when I first installed CS4 and put in a new 3D graphics card to take advantage of the new 3D features. I went back to my 2D Matrox card and have been waiting for the OpenGL problems to be sorted out. There is a new CS4 version out which is reported to fix at least some of the problems, but I haven't had time to check it out yet.

One place to start is with Adobe's list of tested graphics cards: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb405711&sliceId=1. Before the new CS4 version at least, some people with cards on the tested list were still experiencing problems. I'm not sure what the latest situation is.

Arlen
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »

Something is wrong - CS4 should be noticeably quicker than CS3. Maybe check out GPU and OpenGL settings in Prefs.

As for the brush, it looks to me like you've got a texture or pattern. Reset the brush? Check you've not enabled a layer style.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »

This is almost certainly the OpenGL problem.
Peter
kevs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »

Well the open GL pref is greyed out. Probably becuase my computer is four years old. I just read that for CS4 for work properly you need a state of the art new computer ( ie mac pro...)
I think it's outrageous ADobe does not broadcast this. I'm going back to CS3. Oh well.

The brush was just a normal brush. I triple checked. I don't get it.

KEVS CS3/ MAC 10.4.11
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:30:58 PM »

One of my computers certainly isn't start of the art, and CS4 works fine. I don't know enough about OpenGL and Mac, so maybe Peter can comment more.

John
Matt Limb OBE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 01:20:56 AM »

I agree must be your PC/MAC - I have found CS4 to be much much faster and more stable

Matt

-----------------------------------------
Matt Limb OBE
www.mlimages.co.uk
markpirozzi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:13:22 AM »

My DP G5 is 5 years old. CS4 runs about the way CS3 did on both OSX 10.4 and 10.5. Open GL is grayed out in the Prefs and most operations run well. Saving a large file seems slow, but no slower than CS3 on 10.4 - I have prefs set for full compatibility when saving a file.

Mark

Mac OSX 10.7, 2009 MacPro
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: