Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM2 and Mac
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 06:47:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM2 and Mac
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM2 and Mac  (Read 4612 times)
iau

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2009, 06:36:56 AM »

Hi,

What do you do on Mac with RAW-formats that are not supported by Apple?

I have an Lumix LX-3 that I take snap shots with, buth although bot LIghtroom and Photo Mechanic can display these on my Mac, EM2 won't. I learned from Microsoft that Apple won't allow third party RAW-codecs, but why is Lightroom and Photo Mechanic showing them? It's not exactly a new camera any longer so what do other Mac users do? I haven't been using Mac for such a long time and I'm glad I'm still using Windows on my other computer.

- iau
scottb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »

Lightroom has its own rendering engine, separate from the OS. Photo Mechanic is likely just displaying the embedded jpeg, which speeds things up significantly (although it may also support the camera's raw files). The only solution I can think of is to try converting the LX-3's files to DNG for display in EM on the Mac.

- Scott
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »

Lau,
Generally, I think the best thing to do is to make a DNG, but the LX3 is a special case, since the raw decoding actually corrects for a pretty serious lens barrel distortion. I think ayone who decodes the raw is using an SDK from Panasonic/Leica that applies their own algorithm to the file.

It's problematic for third-party interchange, since making a DNG from that camera actually needs to render out the "rawness" of the file to save as DNG.  Adobe has promised to fix this, but at the moment, the LX3 is a special case.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2008/12/

Peter

iau

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »

Thank you both for your quick replies!

I should have noted that I don't use dng-files, but it seems that in this case this wouldn't matter much. Guess I have to wait for it to be supported or shoot jpgs with it. Love the camera but bought it mainly for RAW and small size (over G10), but in retrospective I wish I hadn't gone for a came with such a wide angle lens. Then I wouldn't have the lens barrel distortion problem to worry about either.

Regards,
- inge
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:55:27 PM »

Inge,
What software are you using to work open the raw files?
Peter
iau

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:48:08 PM »

I use Photo Mechanic to import and enter metadata and mostly Lightroom 2.3 for RAW processing. EM2 is used to catalog and browse my archives (prefer it over Lightroom for this job).

The LX-3 has caused me some "trouble". At first Photo Mechanic couldn't read the rw2-files so I couldn't use it to import and enter metadat. Then I bought a second laptop and chose a MacBook, which left me a new problem with the LX-3 and EM2. I don't use the Fuji raw converter.

Inge
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:19:58 PM »

Inge,
I'd consider making DNG files with the raw embedded.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: