Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Writing star ratings to NEFs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2019, 08:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Writing star ratings to NEFs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Writing star ratings to NEFs  (Read 37762 times)
Eric Dufresne
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 07:47:01 AM »

Hello,

Your tool is really interesting. No chance that a version of OS X is developed?

Is there a way to make a whole directory (where I put my NEF) on an external drive and connects to a Windows? (I'm not a programmer)

Eric
msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 01:14:17 AM »

I'd also be VERY interested in a version that runs on OSX. Maybe you could use ExifTool as a way to achieve this?

Mark

- Mark
charlesBOEHM

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:48 AM »

What ARE you talking about in this thread??

I expect software to be thoroughly tested before it's sold to the general public. I shouldn't need to learn VBA, Applescript, Java C+, 'hacking' or some other script to run EM2. This thread is providing help to another scripter, or so it seems. I want to get to work on my photographs and I have to use a workaround in EM2 because of a scripts problem addressed on this forum; and the MSEM2 forum has not been solved.

PO'd I guess; and just sounding off. (Sending it anyway)

Charles

Eric Dufresne
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »

Hello,

This thread is not just providing help to another script. Matt has developed an application that is capable of synchronization of Label, Rating & Urgency IPTC fileds vs XML fields. Software such as Nikon Capture NX2 does not support XML fields, so that if you use Capture NX for RAW development and DAM software who writes in the XML fields, such as Expression Media, the three fields no longer follow from one software to another software.

Matt's program is useful for people who use Capture NX or View NX and metedata that are recorded directly into the NEF and not DNG, TIFF, JPG, etc.

Eric
Eric Dufresne
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2009, 09:28:16 AM »

I'd also be VERY interested in a version that runs on OSX. Maybe you could use ExifTool as a way to achieve this?

Mark

@ Matt: Do you think exiftool would be a good alternative? (read/write metadata vs break NEF file)
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 10:23:29 PM »

Hi,

By default when PM writes XMP data into NEFs and CR2s it takes a best guess assuming they're TIFF-EP based formats. Unique to PM it can undo these changes returning the Raw to its virgin state. Camera Bits do not use the Nikon SDK.

EM uses the Nikon SDK to write metadata back to NEFs. The current SDK does not support XMP even though the NEF file format has supported XMP for a couple of years.

Bottom line: EM will not write star ratings (or any other XMP data) to NEFs. PM will. Blame Nikon... or move to DNG.

-- Robert.

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »

I've just posted an e-mail to Matt about the useability of his scripts with Media Pro.  Casual testing this morning seems to indicate they don't write the data any longer.

Hopefully Matt will chime in with a yea or nay.

thanks

chris

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: