Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM2 Catalog Sets don't stick when syncing annotations
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 08:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM2 Catalog Sets don't stick when syncing annotations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EM2 Catalog Sets don't stick when syncing annotations  (Read 13362 times)
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:55:54 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Having a heck of an issue with this...  I'm using EM2 SP2 (Build 2092) on OSX (10.5.6) and am having an issue with syncing my annotations.  (It started before the SP2 update).

I can't seem to make the catalog sets stick when exporting my annotations to my original files.  I of course have selected the images to sync, and have checked the "Catalog Sets" box.  When I select this, it still does not update the catalog sets, and in some cases appears to be getting rid of catalog sets that were there to begin with (added in Image Ingester Pro).  Tried on DNG's and JPG's, but both have failed so far.  Anyone else have this issue or can replicate it?  I know it is not a machine specific issue as it happens on my iMac and MacBook Pro.

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Josh McCulloch Photography
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

Josh,
How are you testing?
Does it fail for every export?
Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »

Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I am adding a new catalog set to the list, applying it to the images(s), then syncing annotations (export, including Catalog Sets).  I'm then opening a brand new catalog and importing the files for which I just synced the annotations, and all metadata is there but no catalog sets.  If the files had catalog sets before, they are all wiped out completely now.  I have not had a successful export yet, at least since I noticed the issue yesterday.  I have no idea how long this has not been working...

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »

Josh,
Can you open the file in Bridge and see if the Catalog Set data is visible?
File Info>Advanced>ns.iView or whatever the schema is called.
Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:14:34 AM »

Hi Peter,

Created a new Catalog and imported just 2 DNG files to test.  Both had catalog sets created in II that showed up fine in the Advanced Metadata area in "File Info..." in Bridge & PS before syncing annotations.  Added a new Catalog Set to just one file, then synced the annotations, and opened it up in PS, and now there is no ns.iview-multi... Schema showing at all for this file in the Advanced Metadata area in "File Info...".

Tried a "Convert Image Files..." (to JPG) on this same file with newly added Catalog Sets, and in the options I selected to export annotations, including Catalog Sets.  The catalog sets (and all other metadata) do come along for the ride and show up perfectly in the ns.iview-multi... Schema as they should.  Then I added another Catalog Set to this newly created JPG file, synced annotations again, and opened up in PS, and the ns.iview-multi... Schema is now gone, so it's not just a DNG issue, and apparently the annotations are syncing just fine when converting image files.  Err!

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »

Josh,
Hmm. This definitely happened before SP2?

I just tested on a MAc with SP1 and no problems.
Do you see the Microsoft XMP namespace in Bridge File Info?

ns.microsoft.com/Expressionmedia/1.0

Any non-alpha-numeric characters in the Catalog Sets (© for instance)?

Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for testing this for me and your help in trying to figure it out...

I'm 99% sure this was a problem before SP2...  I was working on my laptop (actually prepping to teach my final class on Digital Asset Management at my local photographic trade school) which had SP1 installed (Don't recall the build #) and had this issue come up.  So without really thinking too much about it, I DL'd and installed the SP2 update thinking this would fix it.  No luck...  So I'm pretty sure this was an issue prior to upgrading to SP2.  (Edit: Just checked on the other iMac workstation here in the office (3rd machine now) that is running SP1, Build 1631 and Sync Annotations is also not working on this machine, so it is definitely not related to SP2.)

There is no Microsoft namespace showing up in Bridge or PS "File Info..." area under any tab I can see, including the "Advanced" one.

The Catalog Sets are just basic words, no funny characters at all.  (Called "Test123", and "Test2")

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:29:14 PM »

Josh,
Can you try with a "clean" image?
Make a JPEG file from scratch in Photoshop, with no metadata.  Import into Expression and sync one catalog set and a keyword to the file.
See what comes through.
Peter

joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »

Hi Peter,

Just ran that test, created a new document in PS with a plain white background, and saved it as a JPG file.  Created a brand new XMedia Catalog, imported the JPG only.  Added 1 keyword and 1 catalog set, synced annotations, opened in Photoshop then "File Info...".  Keyword synced just fine, Catalog Set did NOT...

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 05:24:26 AM »

Josh,
Can you send me the catalog and the JPEG?
Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »

Just sent it over, thanks so much Peter!

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 01:04:48 AM »

Note: I have e-mailed back and forth with Peter on this, and he was able to make things work correctly on his end, so he suggested I re-installed EM2 and retry.  Here was my response to him:

Hi Peter,

First went in and deleted all the XMedia 2 preferences, and the trouble still persisted.  Went through and re-installed XMedia 2, and still had no luck (I forgot to check which version I installed here, but I think it was SP1).  Updated back to SP2, and still no luck.  Had the random idea to check all three check boxes (Custom Fields, Catalog Sets, and Hierarchical Keywords) and had success!

Went back and tried a few more combinations of boxes ticked and un-ticked and narrowed it down and realized that the "Include Custom Fields" button is actually exporting the Catalog Sets, and the "Include Catalog Sets" button is actually exporting the Custom Fields!  Somehow, these two buttons have been switched with each other...

Now that I've figured this out, do you know if there is any way to switch them back? 

Thanks again for all your help on this.  Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 07:40:38 AM »

Good job Josh -
Peter
joshmcculloch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:31 AM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks, and thanks to you for all of your help.  I find this really strange that it is affecting all 3 of my machines (they all have those two buttons reversed).  The version I re-installed last night was a copy that I had had stored as a DMG file on my machine for a while, and was wondering if somehow I had a bad copy or something.  I went to the XMedia site this morning and downloaded a fresh-from-them version (build 1477) to install, but came up with the same problem at every stage, including after updating this copy to SP2...

I'm guessing I should talk to the folks at MS about this, do have a contact there that might be able to troubleshoot this for me?  I don't really enjoy the thought of spending hours on the phone with MS tech support while they ask me to reboot my machine a hundred times...

Cheers, Josh

Josh McCulloch
Canada
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:50:39 AM »

Went back and tried a few more combinations of boxes ticked and un-ticked and narrowed it down and realized that the "Include Custom Fields" button is actually exporting the Catalog Sets, and the "Include Catalog Sets" button is actually exporting the Custom Fields!  Somehow, these two buttons have been switched with each other...
 Cheers, Josh[/i]

Thanks for this thread. This had been vexing me and was a MAJOR annoyance last fall. I finally gave up every trying to transfer catalog set info. What I was doing was making separate small catalogs for certain shoots, just to keep things quick/separate/simple in my mind, then importing the files into my main one after exporting metadata. The sets never carried over and I was pulling my hair out. Another example of M$ at work. Obviously after 10 months of SP1 being out in public they didn't fix the problem for SP2. *sigh*
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: