Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Unexpectedly locked out of Expression Media 2
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 11:04:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Unexpectedly locked out of Expression Media 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Unexpectedly locked out of Expression Media 2  (Read 5526 times)
Ricardo Barros

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:27:13 AM »

As one computer was on its death bed, I used Apple's disk migration utility to move all of my files and apps to a new computer. Evidently EM2 was installed on the new computer as a 30 day trial. EM2 turned off this morning and requires that I enter my product key. The license number originally given me by MicroSoft, and confirmed to be currently valid by them, does not unlock EM2.

Those turkeys want to charge me $250 to address this problem!

Apparently the "product key" may be different than the "license number" ... can anyone confirm this?

I originally purchased iView Media Pro 3. I have the original DVD, along with the original license number.

When MicroSoft acquired iView, they sent me an a new license number and a link to download the EM software. I have a hard copy of that email. There is no "product key" on it. Neither the old nor new license numbers unlock EM2.

Has anyone had a similar problem? It galls me that MicroSoft proposes to charge me more than the software cost to reopen an application that I already have a valid license for.

What to do?

Thanks,

Ricardo

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:57:35 PM »

Ricardo,
I've sent a message to the EM team. Let's see what they have to say.
Peter
AnitaOakley

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:48:02 AM »

Hello Ricardo,

Is your key for Expression Media 1 or Expression Media 2? Was one of the machines Windows and the other Mac? By all rights you should be able to use the same key on more than one machine.

Expression Media is licensed by user, not machine.

Regards,
Anita Oakley
Microsoft Expression Media
Ricardo Barros

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 08:57:29 AM »

Hi Anita,

Thank you for your reasonableness - what a breath of fresh air!

I am up to Expression Media 2, and both machines were Macs. I'd be happy to send you my license numbers off-line.

Ricardo
rb@ricardobarros.com
Ricardo Barros

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »

Anita,

I may have misunderstood your question. The license number MicroSoft gave me allowed me to convert from iView Media Pro3 to Expression Media. After that, I upgraded to Expression Media 2 on-line ... that was some time back and as I recall it was a free upgrade.

Ricardo

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Ricardo,
While the upgrade from iView to Expression was free (if done soon enough), the upgrade to 2 would have been a paid upgrade, as far as I can remember. I don't recall any free upgrade policies (but the EM team could tell you more).
Peter
Ricardo Barros

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »

Hi Peter,

I may have paid for the upgrade to EM2 - honestly, I don't remember - but that was a long while back and I've been using EM2 ever since. MicroSoft informed me that my license for EM was valid. We didn't get far enough to discuss whether the EM2 license was different and/or I was registered with them, that's the point that they wanted the $250 to troubleshoot my problem.

I trust that Anitia Oakley will get back to me with more information.

Ricardo

Ricardo Barros

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »

Check Mate.

Whether or not I previously upgraded to EM2, I do not have the key code now. The key code for EM is useless because you can no longer download that software, and I never had the CD. My only option is to (re) upgrade to EM2. Time to move on.

Thanks for weighing in on this, Peter.

Ricardo

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: