Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Metadata lost in PS CS4
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 06:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Metadata lost in PS CS4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Metadata lost in PS CS4  (Read 37935 times)
jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 10:27:13 PM »

I just checked the content window in my copy of II v. 3.2.04 and it had this: {@datetime,1,4}-{@datetime,5,2}-{@datetime,7,2} entered in the date line. I didn't add this line and don't know how it got there or if it relates to this discussion of missing metadata. But I just check a recent download in PS CS4 and it has all metadata correctly appearing in the file info window.
Jonathan
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »

Jonathan--

What you see is I think the default. It's certainly what you get when you click the Reset button.

The problem with missing dates occurs only if the user explicitly makes that field empty. This ought to be OK, but apparently PS CS4 treats it as an error serious enough to disregard the entire file.

--Marc

Vince Binder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 09:10:25 AM »

Save the bold code in a SyncIPTCDate.jxs file and copy the file in this path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS4\Adobe Bridge

The "Sync IPTC Date to EXIF Date" item should appear in the Tools menu. Select the thumbnails to update and click on that menu time. The Date Created IPTC field will be updated with the Exif Time Digitized contents (date and time).

Running OS X 10.5 - tried a few different (but similar directories) but I can't get this to show up in bridge.  Anyone know where this goes for OS X?

Vince Binder.
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 02:24:35 AM »

Vince

they should go in:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Startup Scripts CS4/Adobe Bridge

folder.

I however noted an extension naming error (for Windows AND Mac) in the post that probably is the culprit: SyncIPTCDate.jxs should be SyncIPTCDate.jsx

My apologize for this mistyping...

Massimo

petermk

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »

I have installed Massimo's script on my Windows XP machine (with the correct .jsx filename extension). 'Sync IPTC Date to EXIF Date' appears in the Tools menu in Bridge, but nothing happens when I invoke it.

Another script ('Dr. Brown's Services 2.0.2') whose .jsx file is in the same folder, also shows up in the Tools menu. When I invoke that script from the menu it runs correctly.

I have checked that I have copied Massimo's script correctly.

Can anyone suggest why it is not working?

Cheers
Peter Marquis-Kyle
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »

I have installed Massimo's script on my Windows XP machine (with the correct .jsx filename extension). 'Sync IPTC Date to EXIF Date' appears in the Tools menu in Bridge, but nothing happens when I invoke it.

Peter

Have You selected the thumbnails before running the script? Do EXIF dates exist into the files?

Massimo
petermk

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 04:26:30 PM »

Hi Massimo, and thanks for responding.

Yes, I have selected the thumbnails before running the script; and yes, the files have valid EXIF Date Created data.

Cheers
Peter
paco601209

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 02:31:02 PM »

Hi,

Just in case you'd like using Massimo script, there was a line missing in the code. This shpuld work:

#target "bridge"

syncDateCommand = new MenuElement( "command", "Sync IPTC Date to EXIF Date", "at the end of Tools","SyncID" );

syncDateCommand.onSelect = function ()
{
   var sels = app.document.selections

for (i = 0; i < sels.length; i++)
   {
     var t = sels;
      var md = t.metadata;
      md.namespace = "http://ns.adobe.com/exif/1.0/";
      var dt = md.DateTimeOriginal;
      md.namespace = "http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/";
      md.DateCreated = dt;
   }
}

Cheers,

Paco
djaef

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »

I'm not sure if I get this. I did ingest some files with IIP a few months back to try it out, but haven't been using it on my latest shoots and I'm still experiencing this dropping metadata issue in CS4. I can append my metadata templates and keywords to images in Bridge, but upon opening into Photoshop, they are not there. On my laptop, also running CS4, everything works as it should. I've tried making fresh metadata templates but that didn't help. Any clues?

Geoff
paco601209

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:12 AM »

I'm not sure if I get this. I did ingest some files with IIP a few months back to try it out, but haven't been using it on my latest shoots and I'm still experiencing this dropping metadata issue in CS4. I can append my metadata templates and keywords to images in Bridge, but upon opening into Photoshop, they are not there. On my laptop, also running CS4, everything works as it should. I've tried making fresh metadata templates but that didn't help. Any clues?

Geoff
Hi Geoff,

Let's see if my -very short- experience in this issue is of any help for you:

- Get one of those images that are giving problems to you in bridge
- Fill all the metadata that you consider necessary
- Fill -by hand- the "DateCreated" field (IPTC block), using a standard date format. YYYY-MM-DD, should work
- Pass it to PS, and save in TIF (or whatever format you use)

The resulting file, ie the processed image, should have all the metadata.

If that is the case, then you should make sure that "dateCreated" is always filled with "correct" values. That's what the Massimo script does.

Paco
djaef

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 02:50:22 AM »

Thanks for the reply Paco. I did what you suggested and sure enough if I enter a date in the Date Created field in ITPC Block then it takes the metadata into Photoshop. But what I don't understand is why this is only happening on one machine. My laptop is running the same versions of Bridge / Camera Raw / Photoshop and it doesn't happen on that. I'm not using IIP, but it's still happening to any images I run through this machine. If I ingest onto my laptop I don't have the issue. Strange. I have also rebuilt my metadata template to not effect.

Geoff
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »

Geoff,
Can you try to open any metadata template that causes this problem with a text editor and see what you can find?
Somehow, there is something in a template that is choking Photoshop, right?  that is the common thread  - metadata applied on one machine makes all metadata unreadable by Photoshop?
Peter
djaef

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 12:19:06 AM »

Peter, I had a look at the metadata template in notepad and it looked OK (not that I really know what to look for). I've just been avoiding the problem by ingesting on the laptop.
But today I discovered something else.
I don't normally shoot jpgs but I did inadvertently do exactly that last week (luckily just some shots of my daughter). I applied my normal metadata to the jpgs and opened one directly in Photoshop and the metadata showed up, but when I pushed the same file first through Camera Raw, the metadata suddenly didn't show up in Photoshop. So does this mean I'm looking at the wrong culprit - ie. that it's not Bridge but Camera Raw is somehow responsible?
Geoff
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2010, 05:00:15 PM »

Geoff,
Did the JPEGs have camera raw metadata added in ingestion? It could be that Photoshop is ignoring the issue when it bypasses ACR, but gets hung by the problem when it passes the file through ACR.  You might want to try and delete the entire ACR XMP set, and see if the problem persists.
Peter
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: