Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Move to folder function
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:55:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Move to folder function
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Move to folder function  (Read 5698 times)
cdubea

View Profile Email
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:05:41 AM »

Greetings,

I had my first opportunity to shoot yesterday after migrating to XM.  My usual process is to put my CF cards in a reader, plug them into the USB port on my ReadyNAS which then automatically copies them into a working directory in my photo library.

After doing so, I start XM and refresh my working directory and all is wonderful.  I highlight all the photos, add some info and then use the move to folder function.  I choose the first option, which is supposed to move all the photos and catalog information.  Several HOURS later XM has stopped in the middle of the process (didn't move all the files) and is responding normally.  I have to refresh the top folder where I had moved the images to for XM to see the images.  I grab the remaining 40 or so images this morning to move them and it's been 15 minutes and I'm 7% completed.  Why in in the world would it take this long to move files?

Has anyone else used the "Move to folder" functionality?  Have you had problems?

I really like the layout of XM, but I keep running into stumbling block after stumbling block and am really beginning to question the sense of migrating over.  The process that I've described above could previously be conducted in 90 seconds or less.  Combine that with the glacial response times and it's getting very difficult to justify the usage of XM.  I used to think that iMatch was slow  :<

chris

BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:18 AM »

If I want to do what the first option offers, I simply drag and drop instead.  I do this from the Catalog Folders pane of the Organize panel.  I've never had a problem doing it that way.  Note that it does a true "Move" if the new location is on the same volume.  If you're dragging them to a separate volume, the files will be copied and paths reset, but the originals won't be deleted.  I do that manually after I've confirmed that the files moved to the new volume properly.

Bob Smith

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:10:01 PM »

If I want to do what the first option offers, I simply drag and drop instead.  I do this from the Catalog Folders pane of the Organize panel.  I've never had a problem doing it that way.  Note that it does a true "Move" if the new location is on the same volume.  If you're dragging them to a separate volume, the files will be copied and paths reset, but the originals won't be deleted.  I do that manually after I've confirmed that the files moved to the new volume properly.

Bob Smith

Dragging and dropping did work.  It was still glacially slow.  I seem to be struggling with the issue that I've got a bunch of folders and XM doesn't deal well with that.  It's been suggested that I combine folders, but I'm not certain I'm ready to do that.  I use my folder structure as a first level media organizer.

Thanks for the help.

chris

BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 09:53:08 PM »

Leaving detailed folder based organization behind was a leap of faith for all of us.  You'll be better organized with a simpler workflow once you can.  You don't need to ditch it completely.  Just don't go overboard trying to separate many things that are more easily dealt with in cataloging software.  Use folders for only the most general of content dividers.

When I move folders in Expression Media the time to complete the operation is little different, if any, from completing the same move in the Finder.  You shouldn't be seeing a huge slow down.  I've moved fairly large quantities of files this way but never large quantities of folders.  That may be what's causing your problem.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 10:43:19 PM »

Chris,
You don't say what OS you are on, which might be important information. 
I assume you're on PC.  I have seen this behavior before, where the application does not want to simply alter the directory information, but wants to actually copy the files. 

And when you say "Move to Folder" how are you invoking that, exactly?

Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »

Sorry,

The function was "Transfer to Folder".

Out of curiosity I created a new catalog from my photos, and this time it came in a 170 mb (instead of ~700) and is now much more responsive.

What I did realize by doing this is XM doesn't write rating information to my NEF's.  It will write keywords and such, but no ratings to be seen by Capture NX2. 

Man I'm just about to throw in the towel and go in a different direction.........

thanks for the help,

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »

Expression Media writes to NEF files using libraries supplied by Nikon. If you write the rating to the file, can Bridge see it?

I'm not an NX user.  Can you add ratings to files with NX that can be seen with any other programs? (Even in, say, a JPEG files that has been created by NX).

Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »

Expression Media writes to NEF files using libraries supplied by Nikon. If you write the rating to the file, can Bridge see it?

I'm not an NX user.  Can you add ratings to files with NX that can be seen with any other programs? (Even in, say, a JPEG files that has been created by NX).

Peter

It's crazy, but XM will write everything but color and star ratings to the files.  Anita Oakley indicates this was done on purpose.  XM will only write that data to XMP files. CapNX and ViewNX will write XMP data but not read it...

I suspect it would be fairly easy to write a script to write the data.  Haven't had a lot of time for that kind of stuff lately though.

I don't use anything other than XM and CapNX2 at this point.  It's still a hobby   ;>

cheers,

Chris

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: