Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Catalogue disappeared
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 03:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Catalogue disappeared
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Catalogue disappeared  (Read 3512 times)
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« on: February 06, 2009, 05:25:01 PM »

Does anyone know whwere the catalogs go to die? My catalog was fine last night. I have been working very diligently to create it and back up and burn the files to DVD's (after my last disastrous encounter with ImageIngester) so all the images in the catalog are on DVD and the NEF files are still alive on a separate hard drive from the DVD files.  When I requested the catalog tonight, I got the message, "The alias "Catalog-2.ivc" could not be opened because the original file could not be found." I haven't even turned the computer off since viewing a healthy catalog last night.

iMac Tiger 10.4.11
EM2 Service Pack 1
V. 2.0.1 (1631)

Garth

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:26:53 AM »

Garth,
Did you save the catalog? HAve you run a search in Finder?
Peter
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:41:03 AM »

Hi Peter

Interesting and WEIRD!

When EM2 asked gave me the option of "find" I said yes, and it said it couldn't find it so I mistakenly assumed that it had gone through some internal search protocol equivalent to actually using Finder. It didn't. Finder found the catalog in a most obscure place. It was in an external hard drive I installed to avoid some of my recent problems. Just for fun, I'll show you how deep it was buried...

PHOTOGRAPHS(one of three new external drives)->Photo Library ->Clients -> Science North -> World Congress 2008 -> Catalog-2.ivc

I haven't even looked in this file for months. How strange can things get inside these boxes?
I had the catalog in the main hard drive where i assumed it would be quicker access.

What is the best protocol for storing the working catalog and then for backing it up please?

Anyway, thanks so much again.
Garth
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:29:49 PM »

Garth,
Okay, there's something odd going on here. I'm going to go out on a limb, and say that you have some very strange system problems, or you are accidentally making settings that are saving things in strange places.

Between this issue and the IIP issue, I'm concerned that maybe there's some kind of problem with your directory.

The first question - how sure are you that you are not accidentally putting things in unexpected places vs the possibility that there is some significant malfunction?

If you go through the steps you used to create the first catalog, where does it get saved?

Peter

Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:18 AM »

Hi Peter, I think I've got the issue sorted out, but don't really know how or why the first error happened and I can't replicate it..

Thanks
Garth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: