Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Switching locations of source files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 08:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Switching locations of source files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Switching locations of source files  (Read 9335 times)
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

Hi.
I'm about to move all of my source files onto a new (bigger) hard drive.  Is there anything I need to do to make sure that my EM catalogs will link to source files on the new drive or will this happen automatically? 
Thanks.
Leon
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:17 AM »

Leon,
You will just want to right-click on the drive name and "reset paths" of the catalog to the new location.
I have found that EM2 can be a little picky about this sometimes, and you may need to reset paths of a folder below the top level if it refuses to do the drive name.
Peter

Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:49:37 AM »

Yes it was a bit picky and I did need to reset the paths below the top level on some catalogs but overall it seems to have worked.
Thanks Peter. 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »

Leon,
there's another trick. If all the files have been transferred to a new drive, and the old files are no longer accessible, then you can run "find missing items" and tell it to search the new drive. Once the first possible match comes up, you could tell it to "accept all".

This generally works just fine (but takes a lot longer to run than "reset paths".  Note that this could be problematic if there is any name duplication in the collection.

Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »

Thanks Peter.  Looks like files transfered ok but now I'm having a problem with EM hanging (spinning beach ball) almost every time I try to work on anything.  Think this could be related to having reset folders?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 05:57:14 AM »

Leon,
It's possible.  Is the new location on a slower connection?  (NAS on slow network?)

You could also try to drag the items to a new catalog (that rebuilds the database, to at least some extent).

Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

Hi Peter,

No change in connections.  Seems to be working ok now but for about an hour or two yesterday, doing almost anything would cause several catalogs to hang. 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »

Leon,
Was anything else running that might take finder attention, like running backups, or transferring files? Expression uses the OS for lots of stuff, and I think recent OS versions trump EM and make it run slow.
Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »

Good question.  I don't remember.  If it happens again I'll try to remember to be aware of anything else running on the OS.
I've also been getting that "read only" dialog box appearing often (as I've seen others have also been dealing with).  Might whatever's causing that issue also effect the hang time issue?
Thanks.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »

Leon,
I don't think that would do it.  By you could try to save the catalog, close, and then reopen, and the "Read only " status should change.
Peter
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 06:59:16 PM »

No luck.  As a matter of fact, even without other programs running in the background, the "Read Only" message comes on 90% of the time I open any EM catalog and even worse, the catalogs hang over 50% of the time (necessitating a Force Quit).  This is the buggiest I've ever experiences with iView & EM.

Any ideas?  And do you recoommend I start a new thread?
scottb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:44 AM »

Leon,

Maybe the procedure at the following link will cure what ails you. It helped me once.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/953109

- Scott
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »

Thanks Scott,

I tried the procedure and haven't had much chance to test things yet, but so far - so good.

Leon
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 02:47:51 PM »

Finally got back to working with EM and unfortunately have the same old problems - the "Read only" message (a minor nuisance) and the spinning wheel of hang time - often leading to a force quit (a major pain in the butt).

Any other ideas out there for fixing this, especially the hang problem?

Thanks.
Leon

Mac G5 1.8 (single), OS10.5
Leon Werdinger

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:01 PM »

And to add one more thing - it seems like the hanging problem is worse when the external hard drive (containing the source files) is turned on.

Leon
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: