Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 09:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk  (Read 87636 times)
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the Seagate link where you can check your model and serial numbers and download the firmware. Here it is:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207931

I just discovered that two of my internal drives are affected. I'm preparing to update the firmware on my Mac Pro. Yikes.

- Jim

eta: I just successfully ran the firmware updates on both of my affected drives. They both now show firmware revision: SD1A. So this should solve the problem right?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:49:30 PM by jimtron » Logged

David_E

Deep in the Enchanted C-Stand Forest

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2009, 07:00:35 AM »

Having completed the update, here's my report.  I should note that the drives are in individual enclosures connected via eSATA to an Expresscard34 host adapter on my 2007 Macbook Pro.  Having read that you should remove any drives other than the one you want updated, I wasn't sure if I should remove the INTERNAL drive in the laptop to guarantee that only the external drive would be acted on by the firmware update.  I crossed my fingers, left the internal drive installed as normal, ran the process on the first drive, and it went fine.  Whew.

So two of my three drives needed the update.  Both were model number ST3500320AS.  I downloaded the program, burned the disc, disconnected the other drive, rebooted to the CD by holding the C key, pressed F10, selected the appropriate firmware to update, waited.  For the first drive it went fine, took about 5 minutes, then told me to cycle the power.  I turned off the drive enclosure, waited, turned it back on.  Then I pressed any key on the keyboard, as instructed, to shut off the computer.  Waited a moment, turned it back on, and the drive mounted fine.  Files seem to be readable.  Being in external enclosures, I cannot find a way to verify the name of the new firmware or the SMART status, but I'm choosing to leave well enough alone.

For the second drive, after starting the program it left me with "Sending binary downloads".  No change.  Left it overnight, no change.  I was going to call Seagate this morning (Monday), learned that they weren't going to answer because it's President's Day, so I prayed to the electromagneto gods, and rebooted.  The drive came up as normal, so I decided to try the process again.  Worked fine, everything AOK.  Made notes on the drive enclosures to keep track of what I did, and now I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that everything is alright, and continue burning DVDs.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

> So this should solve the problem right?

Jim,
This should solve *this* problem. This issue should be a reminder to never have critical data on just one device. They can fail at any time. This firmware update only serves to reduce this particular risk for these particular drives (a risk that was elevated due to the bug).

Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »

Being in external enclosures, I cannot find a way to verify the name of the new firmware or the SMART status, but I'm choosing to leave well enough alone.

Being able to monitor SMART status seems to be a function of the card you are using.  I've not had occasion to use an ExpressCard yet, but I have two different card models in some Mac G5s and an older G4 tower that are used to connect external drive boxes via eSATA.  One reads all the drive data the same as internals.  The other does not.  The cards that read all the data also allow booting from attached drives.  The ones that don't read SMART also don't allow booting.  Maybe that's the way to tell the difference?

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

Bob,
That's an interesting correlation, but I bet it's not determinative.
I'd really like to see this as a common part of the card's spec, but that may take a while to filter down to the marketplace.
Peter
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 06:18:13 PM »

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the Seagate link where you can check your model and serial numbers and download the firmware. Here it is:
http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/news.jsp?DocId=207931

I just discovered that two of my internal drives are affected. I'm preparing to update the firmware on my Mac Pro. Yikes.

- Jim

eta: I just successfully ran the firmware updates on both of my affected drives. They both now show firmware revision: SD1A. So this should solve the problem right?

I went to this page & entered my serial number for the drive that I copied before putting it into the external closure, but I keep getting error messages saying I did not enter the number correctly, & there does not seem to be anywhere where I can actually download the firmware upgrade

my drive is one I bought in Oct 2008, it is the ST31000340AS 1 TB barracuda, I bought it as on OEM, it did not come in a box, just a sealed package. I have put it into an external enclosure & use it as an external hard drive.

Sossity

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »

Sossity,
I suggest you contact Seagate directly.
Peter
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »

Yep, good advice. I made sure my two backups were up to date, then followed Seagate's instructions for updating the firmware on my officially affected 1TB drive (model ST31000340AS, with a listed serial number). The update went without problem, and the new firmware is reported as expected. So at least I didn't encounter the updating problems that some of the early updaters did.

I cant seem to get the serial number in to check if mine is affected, I have the same model you do, but when I input the serial number, I get a message saying the serial number is entered incorrectly.

I bought this drive in Oct 2008, as an OEM in a sealed bag, did not come in a box, & before I put it into its external enclosure, I wrote down the serial number.

Sossity
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »

Sossity,
I suggest you contact Seagate directly.
Peter

I just called seagate support & they checked for me & told me my drive was not affected, I also asked them to e-mail links to check for myself & for a seagate tools check disk program. so hopefully it should be OK, I am glad I came across this thread, I would not have known to check. Thanks to the starter of this thread for bridging it to our attention.

Sossity
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »

Sossity,
I'd leave it alone at this point. 
As with all drives, make sure it's backed up well.
Peter
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2009, 05:11:08 AM »

I had no idea that my 750GB Seagate drive was affected; last week I received a CD from Dell.  Put it in the drive, reset the computer, and the the firmware was upgraded without a problem.

Joe
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »

For what it may be worth, don't trust the number on the outside of the box to check if your drive is affected. I opened a box for a 750 GB hard drive from Seagate, and the put in the number on the drive. I got back a message that the drive may be affected, and only then drilling down to serial number, I was told (correctly, I hope) that my drive was not affected, and I did not need the firmware update.

It now has one file in it for testing, and I am a bit cautious about moving much into it, even if it is a second or third back up (part of my swapper that I set up to back up my working files daily).

I just bought a WD Green 1 TB drive, and a  Seagate 1.5 TB drive for my JBOD, and hope these don't have issues.

Thanks Peter for this forum to share information, thoughts and ideas.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »

I am having a bit of an issue trying to find the right thread here for Seagate firmware issues,
so I'll try here.  I am having the problem that many with the 1.5tb drives have, of freezing and
dismounting from the desktop.  I have the bad number drives: ST31500341AS, but....the drives
say they have the CC1H firmware, which according to the Seagate website are ok as far as
firmware, and that if I were to run the firmware update, it would disable the drives. 

Am wondering if anyone has bad drives that have the CC1H firmware, but are STILL having
trouble with the drives.

Called Seagate, but of course, this is a 'company holiday' and they are closed.

Brian
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »

Brian-

If you find useful references re current problems with Seagate external HD's, please post them somewhere here. I have an older SG drive (500gb) which I've used for a few years. I like the drive, but watched with interest the July 2009 series of problems with the higher capacity SG drives. If this type of issue is recurring now, that will definitely influence my next buying decision.

Thanks. --Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »

Brian,
Are you using this in a RAID configuration or a JBOD? 
Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: