Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 10:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced  (Read 39478 times)
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 02:19:19 AM »

Yes, It applies to Mac.  There was a fairly short window (just a few days) when SP2 was available as the download you would have received with purchase.  Microsoft quickly pulled SP2 when the problems were realized.  Look at the About Expression Media box.  It will tell you which version and service pack is installed.  As of right now, if you download from Microsoft you'll be getting SP1.  I don't think there's any risk to your catalogs if you're using SP2 but depending on your workflow you may hit some annoying rendering problems with large previews.  If you have SP2 and want SP1, on a Mac you can just trash your existing application from the Applications folder and download/install the current SP1 version.  I've done this successfully on a couple of systems.  Since you're not trashing preference files from your ~/Library folder, your registration will remain intact.  You're just rolling back a version.  You can check to see if you're running a registered copy by looking in the Help menu.  If you see the option to "Enter License Key" or something like that, then you're in 30 day demo mode and not registered.

Bob Smith
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

What a clown show! I am soooo glad I came across this thread and read it before doing something I would regret, like installing EM SP2.

Its obvious that Anita is doing her best to help folks here on this forum, which is really a great thing and frankly more than I would expect from M$. So, thanks Anita.

But seriously, they take 10 months to come out with a fairly minor update and then within a day of release its obvious that the thing is all f-ed up? You wonder if the folks making the software ever just tried to install and use it...you know, like, a test or something. Maybe shoot a few pictures and see what happens. Installing SP1 was a serious pain, too...it just wouldn't stick and I had to search forums for an hour or so to find a workaround, but only after banging my head against the desk wondering why it just wouldn't work.

The real problem is that there is not a serious competitor. From what I read on the forums at Camera Bits (the folks who make Photo Mechanic) it sounds like they are probably working on a DAM product, but details are still sketchy. They have a history of designing for the pro photog market and make frequent updates and swift response to user input. Given the high quality of Photo Mechanic, I expect that when/if their DAM product is released that EM will be instant history. *cross fingers*

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:42:19 AM by Doug » Logged
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »

Thanks, BobSmith.

My about box reads:   "Version 2.0 (1477)"

The word "service pack" or the abbreviation "SP" .

So I'm fine, I guess, and don't have the "up"date.

Regarding trashing the SP2 version: I guess it's a good thing to deactivate it before trashing, isn't it?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:09:10 PM by Absolute Chaos » Logged
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

The real problem is that there is not a serious competitor. From what I read on the forums at Camera Bits (the folks who make Photo Mechanic) it sounds like they are probably working on a DAM product, but details are still sketchy. They have a history of designing for the pro photog market and make frequent updates and swift response to user input. Given the high quality of Photo Mechanic, I expect that when/if their DAM product is released that EM will be instant history. *cross fingers*

I contacted PhotoMechanic about that, and they can't give out any details.

But I'm sure they are working on  it.

As you said, a serious competitor is the best thing an application can have - with regards to keeping it updated.

-Robert
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »

That appears to be the original version 2 before any service packs.  I don't think it has even Service Pack 1 installed.  You probably do want to do that.  My version is 2.0.1 and clearly lists Service Pack 1. When I had SP2 installed it showed as 2.0.2

Bob Smith
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »

Hm, that's interesting.

I just used EM's "check for update" function.

It tells me that there are no updates at this time.

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »

Doug,
I don't know if you have ever designed software before, but it's a lot harder than most people realize.
EM has some particular difficulties because it works with so many formats, and leverages system components to do much of the work. So a change in API made by Apple can break something unknowingly. 

Also, keep in mind that there are a lot of platform combinations to test on.

That said, I agree that it is frustrating when things don't work right out of the box.

To Microsoft's credit, they moved very fast to fix the problems once they became known, thanks, in some part, to the help of folks here identifying the issues.

Peter
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:25 AM »

Careful, the About box sometimes tells you something wrong! Which is why I asked Microsoft to provide the build number.

Poor lovely Anita had to engage in a private conversation with me because I was totally confused with the amended SP2. My About screen showed SP1 but build number 2092, which was SP2 in its first incarnation. My Software.CPL showed, correctly as I now know, SP2. The last build I had on my machine was 1625 though SP1 had been 1631.

The fun started when I tried to install the oiginal SP2, which didn't work here - probably because of pre-installed build mismatch [1631 expected]. On March Patch Day Windows Update then grabbed SP2, installed it, though I didn't realise it. The amended patch Anita pointed us to didn't work, as it turns out because of build mismatch. Two times [see above]. Eventually the full version had to be applied.

For those not beta or alpha testing on a regular basis: Look for as much information as possible when asking for help! In the case of xMedia look for the build number, which you find in brackets after the version number on the About screen. Also remember that automatic dispersal of patches or full version will take a few days, hence Check for Updates might not work, yet.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 02:58:34 AM »

Hi Doug,

I have to agree with you, at least in part. Microsoft should have a lot of QA resources compared to what iView had. After SP2 I hope Microsoft will offer a beta to those offering free advice.

I also agree with Peter. Change anything to do with computers and it has a ripple effect. Anything to do with a PC has to contend with a multitude of apps, machines, OS... Something's going to break. Apple have the edge because they have a closed system for their hardware and software. Except for iTunes.

Compared to its' competitors Expression Media is still the best DAM app. That has more to do with the clever iView folk Microsoft "acquired" than anything Microsoft have done. But the DAM landscape changes fast. Many photographers see Lightroom as better and short term it may suffice. Whereas true DAM apps like Portfolio, FotoStation, Mediadex, etc, just don't suit most photographers.

Camera Bits have been working on a cataloguing app for a few years now. They are a small company who know to focus on their core market with Photo Mechanic. When Camera Bits' catalog plugin is released I'd sit back and wait for others to report their experience. After all this will be a version 1.0 app.

-- Robert.

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:56 AM »

Let's not forget IDimager, which falls short on UI in comparison to xMedia but otherwise is as good. I also see that Collectorz.com have taken up development of their Photo Collector again, though judging from other programs by them I'd say it falls short on UI and most probably functionality, too. It will definitely suit hobbyists and maybe amateurs, not professionals.

PS: Many thanks to the developer's of xMedia to scrap the progress thumbnails. I see the newsgroups are read!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 08:15:33 AM by Dierk » Logged

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »

I am on a PC, and I am very pleased with EM2 so far. I also have to give a great deal of credit to Anita Oakley joining the DAM Forum and answering questions as quickly as she has from the development side. I think that alone shows that EM and MS are watching the product. Too many products sell you the software, and then don't seem to care about following up.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »

That appears to be the original version 2 before any service packs.  I don't think it has even Service Pack 1 installed.  You probably do want to do that.  My version is 2.0.1 and clearly lists Service Pack 1. When I had SP2 installed it showed as 2.0.2

Bob Smith

Hi Bob,

I wonder if there's something wrong with the "check update" feature.

I have build 1477 on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11.

I just checked for updates today: none.

The interface still lists Photoshop CS somewhere. Even though I bought the application after the first week of this March, I seem to have a rather old build, and no updates available.

This really puzzles me.

-Robert
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:46 PM »

I have a feeling things may not be fully up to speed with the autoupdate feature since they put out SP2 then took it back and then released it again.  Mine shows no updates available either and I've not yet re-applied SP2.  Just go the EM site and you can download any of the updates and manually install.  The updates aren't really "updates".  I think each will install the full program over what you may or may not already have.

Here's the downloads page:

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc507117.aspx

Bob Smith
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:19:50 PM by BobSmith » Logged
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »

I have a feeling things may not be fully up to speed with the autoupdate feature since they put out SP2 then took it back and then released it again.  Mine shows no updates available either and I've not yet re-applied SP2.  Just go the EM site and you can download any of the updates and manually install.  The updates aren't really "updates".  I think each will install the full program over what you may or may not already have.

Here's the downloads page:

http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc507117.aspx

Bob Smith

Hi, Bob

I can confirm that the update feature doesn't work at all.

I had build 1477 from my post-purchase download, so there wasn't even an SP1 installed, and it didn't show.

I mailed to customer service and got a quick reply with the link and now I'm up to date.

As an Apple user I was a bit spoiled by all those service functions always working well...

- Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »

I don't know about you, but since I installed SP2, my copy of EM 2 stopped working.

NO PREVIEWS in general, NO THUMBNAILS for RAW images.

On catalogue import:

1.  no RAW image got  a thumbnail.

2. Preview by EM 2 not available. When I click the media tab, I get the message "rendering disabled".  I have to disable "display preview" from the menu. Then I'd get a slow rendering. But previews are not available at all.

I'm a bit frustrated with this software. Is this part of the EM 2 experience, or just a Microsoft thing? As an Apple user, I'm so used to software just working well.

-Robert

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:34:16 PM by Absolute Chaos » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: