Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 07, 2020, 11:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced  (Read 39481 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Bob.
So what you're seeing is that Full screen Previews are broken in SP2?
Does the Media View return if the media is present? 
Does "Display Previews at all times" in the Edit>Thumbs and Previews dialog make any difference?

Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »

Yes, full screen previews seem to be broken to me.  I rolled back so SP1 the machine that I had previously upgraded and the previews came back just fine.

I was testing with catalogs where I don't have access to the original media so I'm not sure how it's presence affects this yet.

I tried the "Display Previews at all times" both on and off with no change... neither worked under SP2

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »

Bob,
Thanks for the report.  I spoke to someone at Microsoft yesterday and they are tracking this down.
Do you have a PC there, or are you Mac only?
Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »

I have a free standing XP system and Parallels with XP but I don't have EM installed on any of those.  I'm willing to try that though.  I'll let you know

Bob Smith
matthewjheaney

674071051 matthewjheaney@msn.com matthewjheaney matthewjheaney
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:32 PM »

The reason I have to rely on this and other non-MS forums to get info is that the marketing department of MS doesn't give a hoot about xMedia.

I did a normal Windows Update, and the xMedia update was listed.  So obviously someone does "give a hoot" about xMedia.  (In fact, the update to xMedia 2 was announced on several of my Microsoft RSS feeds in early February, noting the fact that there would be an update later this month.  So again, I don't know where you're (not) getting your information.)

If the xMedia service pack is not listed when you perform a Windows Update, then your system has some deeper problems that are completely unrelated to any putative lack of enthusiasm by Microsoft for xMedia.  Solve your Windows update problems first, and any problems with xMedia will solve themselves.

-Matt
AnitaOakley

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 01:09:57 PM »

Hi all,

I do not have any trouble with sorts. Was that on Windows or Mac?

I haven't had the chance to check media view on Mac. Will do that Monday. But on Windows I do see a problem with media view and offline images. We've not shown offline images - even the thumbnails - all of V2, unless there were full screen previews built. Instead there was a notice that the media file was not found. But now I'm getting a blank screen, even if I have full screen previews built. I'll get that to the developers right away.

One more warning. Within 24 hours of release we found an issue with the new asyncronous rendering in media and light table views. If you page through the images too fast, the rendering gets "stuck." Let each image render before going to the next. We'll deal with that as soon as we can.

For anyone who is having trouble installing the service pack - please call Microsoft. Tell customer service that you have an installation problem. Setup support is free. If they still try to charge you, email xmforum at microsoft dot com. Include your contact information and we will start a case for you at no charge. Dierk, I have your contact information, so I'll get a case started for you on Monday.

regards,
Anita Oakley
Microsoft Expression Media
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 01:42:30 PM »

I had the same SP2 installation problem as Dierk did. Missing DLL. Two tries, both the same. Then I clicked Modify instead of Repair, and that seemed to work.

Actually, an update shouldn't require "Modify", "Repair", or "Uninstall", which as I recall are the 3 options. It should simply do the update.

--Marc

AnitaOakley

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »

No - an update should just install. Please contact Microsoft and we'll help you get installed - no charge.

Anita Oakley
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

Hi Anita,

Thanks for sending the Expression Media 2 links. The original Expression Media 2 did work with offline media correctly. i.e. it displayed the Catalog thumbnail in Media and Light Table views. With SP1 we lost the ablility to see that thumbnail in Media view but it still showed in Light Table. In SP2 we can't see the Catalog thumbnail in either Media view or Light Table.

My update to SP2 went smoothly on XP. But I  too received the "missing dll" dialog after attempting a clean install of Expression Media 2 > SP1 > SP2. It was fixed by rebooting after initial install of the full app, installing the SP1 patch, and then choosing "Modify" SP2 when offered the choice of repair or remove.

Edit: I just realised you can't run sideshows with offline media in SP2 either. Every other version you could. Well at least you can still print from the Catalog thumbnails. Maybe there will be a "Expression Media 2 Post-SP2 Rollup" before Expression Media 3.

-- Robert.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 05:01:21 PM by roberte » Logged

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 02:03:09 AM »

I did a normal Windows Update, and the xMedia update was listed.  So obviously someone does "give a hoot" about xMedia.

Every second Wednesday in a month I use Windows Update; xMedia SP2 did not come out till after February's patch day. Thus it follows I did not use Windows Update to install a program patch. After this discussion started and after I used the normal channels - xMedia Newsgroups/Web forums, e-mail, Check for Updates link, direct download via link provided by someone outside Microsoft - I went to Windows Update.

xMedia's SP2 was shown, checked and according to the Software CPL installed; the program still shows SP1 - and for the time being I am so fed up with computers [partially because of xMedia] I am not inclined to look further into this. ATM I do not care if this is just a typo or if the update didn't install at all. Not least because it does not, according to Robert, who I trust in DAM matters, really improve on matters, just exchange bugs.

I did mention the history of the program and did not mean this specific SP but the whole enchilada, from they way iView once handled bugs and feature requests, how the switch from iView to Microsoft was handled, how subsequent program development and marketing has been handled. All of this is well documented and does not look good. Really the only thing going for xMedia now is the very clean and mostly logical UI, in all other respects it is just an Also Appearing.

Anita, I still care, and I see you [and probably one or two of your colleagues] do. Let's get this back on the rails.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
flovelett

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

I have been evaluating  Expressions Media 2 as a replacement for the awkward Portfolio/Bridge combo that I now use.

Over the weekend, I attempted to install Service Pack 2. The installer stopped midway with an error messages about missing sldle.dll from MeLoen.cab.

I reported the problem on the EM2 forum and was told to call Microsoft. Microsoft refused to help without payment since I am only running a trial.

Felicia Lovelett
billbunton

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2009, 04:41:15 AM »

So after reading all this, I'm starting to wonder if it's a good thing that I can't locate SP2 for my Mac...  Update from the help menu says no updates available; I tried following the link to the readme given earlier and its link to the download center results in a page not found error.

Bill

Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

As Anita told us [in another thread] the team is investigating solutions to several problems reported. It is possible they yanked SP2.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »

As Dierk implies, it would be good to hang on before loading up SP2.
Peter
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 11:59:15 PM »

Does this also apply to the Mac?

I purchased and downloaded my copy of Expression Media 2 on March 9th.

Would that already include the upgrades (if there are any for the Mac)?

-Robert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: