The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 12:05:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Expressions Media Service Pack 2 announced  (Read 13283 times)
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »

Microsoft just announced that Service Pack 2 for Expressions Media should be available by the end of March: http://blogs.msdn.com/xmediasupport/

Some of the problems to be fixed in this service pack are:

- Improved color management. People with high gamut monitors will especially notice that the colors in Expression Media match those in other color managed applications.
- Importing a number large images is very slow
- Original file paths are used instead of new file paths when copying items to a new catalog.
- Moving hierarchical keywords may incorrectly apply flat keywords to images
- HTML gallery links show question marks when viewed in Mozilla Firefox browsers

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »

That's really good news. I had put my work with Hierarchical Keywords on hold since discovering the problem; now I'll be able to use that feature again. I'm surprised that more people have not commented on this issue. I suspect that a lot more users have had their keyword structures corrupted because of it, but just don't realize it yet.
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:39:29 PM »

Expression Media 2 SP2 has been released:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/ReadMe.aspx?key=media

-- Robert.

msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 09:53:36 PM »

Expression Media 2 SP2 has been released:

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/ReadMe.aspx?key=media

-- Robert.

Can't locate a Mac version of SP2!

- Mark
rcannonp

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:28:51 PM »

Can't locate a Mac version of SP2!

Try Check for Updates in the Help menu.

–Cannon

15" MBP :: OS 10.5.6 :: Lightroom 2 :: C1 Pro 3.7 :: CS3 :: EM2
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:45 AM »

a) Downloaded the SP, started installation. First it asked me to choose Modify, Repair or Remove; I went with the second choice. The installation, however, stopped at one point, told me some file is missing or what and rolled back. Not able to install SP2

b) Used Check for Update, a browser window opened telling me I need to install Internet Explorer 5 or higher. Well, sorry, I stay with my much more recent, current and modern Opera 9.63.

I hate to write this: Microsoft fails again when it comes to xMedia.

PS: Strange how I have to rely on some third-party forums like this to get news on xMedia - nothing in their own forums/groups, no e-mail notification ...?!

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 01:21:49 AM »

Sorry to yell.

I keep finding bugs in this Service Pack especially on Windows. Maybe it's just my XP set up but I can't change sort order, preview orientation doesn't match thumbnails, and there's a weird effect previewing Nikon NEFs.

Many things did get fixed like DNG rendering on Windows. I've yet to test XMP export, hierarchical keywords, lost paths or thumbnail color management. But some bugs introduce in Service Pack 1 didn't get fixed like offline media not displaying in Media view.

Two steps forward one step back.

-- Robert.

matthewjheaney

674071051 matthewjheaney@msn.com matthewjheaney matthewjheaney
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:42:15 PM »

b) Used Check for Update, a browser window opened telling me I need to install Internet Explorer 5 or higher. Well, sorry, I stay with my much more recent, current and modern Opera 9.63.

You need to have the latest version of IE installed, if for no other reason than to update the operating system.  You don't have use the IE browser for any other purpose.

PS: Strange how I have to rely on some third-party forums like this to get news on xMedia - nothing in their own forums/groups, no e-mail notification ...?!

Well, I hope it's obvious that the reason you "have to rely on some third-party forums" is because you haven't updated you "first-party software".  If you don't want to install the latest version if IE than you're going to be perpetually frustrated.  If you refuse to keep the operating system up-to-date (and that means keeping IE up-to-date, since IE is a crucial component of the OS), then you can't blame Microsoft if things go wrong.  (For me, the update notification happened automatically, and there were no errors during the install of xMedia2 SP2.  But of course, I perform regular maintenance of my OS.)

BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 02:51:42 PM »

But some bugs introduce in Service Pack 1 didn't get fixed like offline media not displaying in Media view.

On my Macs with SP1 offline media displayed just fine in Media view... It doesn't now.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »

Bob,
That's odd. None of my copies showed offline media in media view in SP1.
Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »

Among other things I manage a computer lab in a college fine arts department.  Starting towards the end of last semester I started having the instructors use EM catalogs for students to submit photo work for progress evaluation.  In this situation the instructor never has access to the original images.  It's sort of the digital equivalent of a student handing over a pile of contact sheets... with way more viewing options for the instructor.  They can quickly see how much the student shot over a range of dates... sort by keywords and so forth.  They can (or could) move very quickly through full screen previews if desired.  Worked like a charm.  This was all with student computers (Intel iMacs on the latest Leopard version) and the instructor's station on EM2 with SP1. 

I updated the instructors station today and the Media View previews vanished.  I had never heard of or experienced a problem with offline Media View until this thread.  Maybe it has something to do with exactly how the previews are built.  I believe the catalogs the students are turning in are relatively small (a few hundred images) with the largest possible highest quality possible previews.

Bob Smith
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 07:50:26 PM »

Hi Bob,

Two workarounds to the offline media bug. One is two make lowest quality/size Full Screen Previews. This adds a lot to the Catalog size which may be OK in your situation with students.

The one I use is to set xMedia preferences to open the Light Table on double-click instead of changing views. The Light Table still displays offline media.

I still prefer the way it was. When you were able to view offline images in Media view it allowed you to zoom in to a larger, albeit pixelated, image. And it didn't add any overhead to the Catalog size.

I can't see this being addressed before the next version so we have to use a workaround or roll back to v1.

-- Robert.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »

Bob,
Did these catalogs have "full screen previews" created? Those did display even when media was offline.
(I've had no time to test the new version - I did not get it in advance)
Peter
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 01:00:24 AM »

You need to have the latest version of IE installed, if for no other reason than to update the operating system.  You don't have use the IE browser for any other purpose.

Well, I hope it's obvious that the reason you "have to rely on some third-party forums" is because you haven't updated you "first-party software".

I did not say I don't have IE installed, I have, and if 7.x is still the most recent version - that's the one I use. Unfortunately I do not only need it to keep XP up-to-date but for a handful of programs providing only the front-end to IE, i.e. Encyclopedia Britannica. Thus, this is not the problem. xMedia, BTW, does not even use Windows Update but simply sends the Download URL to the system's default browser.

On a side note, the only reason my system is XPSP2/all patches instead of XPSP3 is that SP3 will not install at all; since I kept up on patches that shouldn't be problematic.

The reason I have to rely on this and other non-MS forums to get info is that the marketing department of MS doesn't give a hoot about xMedia. Even in their own forums there was only one message about the update - and that was from an MVP him-/herself having to search for the URL.

While all of this would in itself be highly interesting when it comes to the future ofxMedia, it pales in comparison to the problems Robert found to be still existing. Oh, and that I was unable to install the packet [some file in it missing it proclaimed].

Bottom line: Microsoft is not interested in xMedia. It's hard to draw any other conclusion from the program's history.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 03:02:07 AM »

Did these catalogs have "full screen previews" created? Those did display even when media was offline.

Yes... large, high quality full screen previews were made.  Catalog size in the situation I'm talking about here isn't a concern but seeing large views of offline images is.  They displayed fine before the update.  On the one machine where I've applied the update, they no longer work.  Actually... pressing the "Media" tab does nothing at all... I don't see a blank screen or error.  EM just stays in the thumbs view.  The same catalog viewed on a machine without SP2 applied works just fine.  I've tried a variety of catalogs with the same result.  I'll test next on other computers.

Bob Smith
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: