Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
integrated DAM with on-line selling capability
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 29, 2020, 09:40:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  integrated DAM with on-line selling capability
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: integrated DAM with on-line selling capability  (Read 3249 times)
CJRichardson

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »

I'm not an art director with a huge wad of someone else's cash but I'm reluctant to get my assets under control if it's going to cause problems later with selling on-line. I have looked at ImageFolio but am thinking this might be a 'sledgehammer to crack a walnut' as I am lone trader. I'd really like to hear from any photographers who are already selling direct and do all their own (or supervise their own) DAM.  Also I'm on a MAC.

Thanks in advance for sharing, CJRichardson
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »

I ran two ImageFolio Commerce sites for a couple of years.  The program isn't too bad but support leaves a lot to be desired.  Unless you are really a hands on user that is capable of custom mods to Perl, CGI and MySQL... stay far away.  A better alternative is LightBoxPhoto.  Better support, more capable features, easier and more reliable customization through basic html and css editing.  There are loads of others out there as well at all sorts of price points depending on exactly what you're looking for.  I use these galleries as a way to archive images for my commercial clients online.  They can search/browse images from previous shoots and place orders for files or prints.    They can download files through the same interface.  It's a service that regular clients seem to really appreciate.

Since these are web based services, your computer platform of choice is pretty much irrelevant.   

I manage my collection of images locally using Bridge, Expression Media and/or Lightroom.  Once images are sorted with proper metadata entered I save out a selected set to upload to my Lightboxphoto archive on my web server.  Though both of the programs mentioned above are capable of rudimentary metadata editing, I wouldn't want to use them for routine DAM chores.

Bob Smith
CJRichardson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:00:44 AM »

Thanks Bob for your input and more thanks for reminding me of the old saying that the key to a successful business is not to try and do everything yourself.
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:55:01 AM »

Hi CJRichardson
Another option you might want to look at is PhotoShelter. It's one I'm currently pursuing and have set up an account but don't have any real experience with it yet. It subscribes to PhotoQuote which means you don't have to and is a really good resource for image pricing in various markets. I'm not familiar with Bob's software, but I just offer this as another alternative for you to check out. John Harrington, in his book, Best Business Practices for Photographers gives it really high marks. One thing to watch for in these difficult economic times is the collapse of what seem like solid companies... Digital Railroad being one. Many photographers were left in a real lurch.
Good luck
Garth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: