Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Update folder problem
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 07:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Update folder problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Update folder problem  (Read 5507 times)
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »

I wanted to move an image from one folder to a different folder, after clicking the Update Folder Now EM2 seems to be stuck.  The gear icon in the lower right corner keeps going and going.  If I close EM2 and then reopen the catalog I get a message stating the catalog is locked for editing and I can only open it in read only mode.

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:48:29 PM »

Rob,
When you open a catalog, EM places and invisible "lock" file in the folder to tell the application that someone has the catalog open. When the program closes, the lock file is erased. If the program crashes, the lock file is not erased.

As to what is causing the crash, that sounds like it may be a permission problem.  You don't specify system, but if Mac, have you tried repairing permissions?

Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:58 AM »

Forgot to add the OS;
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:45:22 AM »

Is EM set to run as an administrator?
Is a window to that folder open somewhere?
Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »

I did go into windows Explorer and make sure that I am set as administrator to the catalog file.  Trying to get Em2 to recognize additions to the folders is still not functioning correctly.  Maybe I need to view the actual images in explorer and make the same settings?

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:05:56 PM »

Rob,
I'll ping the EM team and see if they can shed light on this.
Peter
AnitaOakley

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »

Hi Rob,

It sounds like you have a few things going on:

First, the problem updating the folders. There's an issue where you can make a new catalog and import images. But after you save and close it, you can't add more images after you reopen the catalog. We have a service pack coming out soon, and that issue is fixed in it. However, there's a workaround you can implement now. If you change the volume label on the drive where the images are stored, the problem should be fixed.

Peter is right about the temporary files - If you kill Media rather than closing it normally, the temp files left on the system fool it into thinking someone has the catalog open already. See article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953109 for full instructions on deleting the temp file.

The icon getting "stuck" is an issue that we fixed in Service Pack 1, or thought we did, but there have been a few isolated reports of this happening to machines with SP1 installed. However, that does not mean that the process didn't finish. Import or update generally finishes fine. The icon just keeps going around.

Just as an aside, if you drag an image from one folder to another inside Expression Media, or use the Transfer to Folder feature, the file counts in the folders update automatically. The only time you need to update folders in the Organize Panel is when you have moved files around in Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps,
Anita Oakley

Hope this helps.
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 04:31:28 AM »

I'm not sure I made the correct change for the "Volume Label" you mentioned.  The catalog and images are both stored on an external drive labeled as Maxtor H, the images are in a folder named Originals 01 and the catalog is in a folder named EMP2.  Is it the drive letter (in this case H) that you are referring to?

I also tried to drag and drop an image into one of the catalog folders, the image briefly shows up and then disappears and EM will not display the image even though it is in the images folder. 

Rob
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: