Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
How to smartly organize a project
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 06:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  How to smartly organize a project
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How to smartly organize a project  (Read 3632 times)
Scott Robinson

View Profile Email
« on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »

Hi Gang—

I’m a very casual user of EM . A new assignment has promoted me to post with hopes of getting some advice from the collective brain on the forum.

I have a client who is going to provide me with about 100 folders that need to organize in EM. It is my job to break down these images into 18 subcategories. Each product has been photographed in the same way and needs to be place in a subfolders or groups. It will basically be (subject) top view, bottom view, and right side, left side, 90 degree right, 90 degree left for a total of 18 shots. I need to be able to look up the product and see the 18 shots labeled. 

My first plan was to create a Category Set for each product with 18 subs for each. But the idea of typing those same 18 subcategories over and over and over made me think there might be a better way.

Anyone out there have a good plan before I become numb typing and typing the same thing over and over!!!
Thanks,
Scott Robinson
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:15:22 AM »

"But the idea of typing those same 18 subcategories over and over and over made me think there might be a better way."

Why would you need to do that. You have drag and drop within the Organize panel, or right click and assign.

You sound like you're on the right track though. Try it with a few images. Do you mean Category Sets or Catalog Sets as I suspect?

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »

Scott,
Rather than this
Products
>Productname 1
>>View 1
>>View 2
etc.
>>View 18
>Productname 2
>>View 1

You could have
Products
>Productname1
>Productname2
>Productname3
ect.
and
Views
>View1
>View2
ect

Drop all products into their productname Catalog Set
and each view also into its Viewname set

Set the flyout for Catalog Sets switched to Intersection, and clicking on the productname and the viewname will only show you the one image that is in both sets. (Union would show *all* photos of that product, and all photos from that viewpoint.

You could also use keywords and have the information more universally discoverable.  It has the same Union/Intersection controls.
Peter
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:04:51 PM »

Anyone out there have a good plan before I become numb typing and typing the same thing over and over!!!

Scott,

I read this as a request for ideas on how to allocate the images to 'categories' quickly, rather than the actual 'categories'.  What I would do is use labels as a temporary way of grouping images together.  This is providing you're not using them for something else!

I'd use the Slideshow feature, configured with a shorter interval than the default 4 seconds.  Then using the number keys I'd allocate a lable as each images is displayed.  Number 1 could be for top view, number 2 for left, number 3 for right etc.  Don't worry if you make mistakes or skip over an image.  You'll probably need three or more passes at this if only because it would be difficult to remember what 9 different labels mean!  However the second and subsequent passes should be quicker, as you'd no longer have any top, left and right views.  On finishing a pass I'd then 'move' the images from label 1 to the appropriate catalogue set and remove the label from them or allocate a 'complete' label.  Once complete you can quickly check for images that got allocated wrongly due to fat fingers!

Allocating images to catalogue sets by product is trickier.  Hopefully all the images for a product were shot in sequence?  If so then easy to do.

Ian
Scott Robinson

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »

Peter --

When I first read you answer to my question I though it seemed like a great solution from the guy who actually wrote the book BUT...I quickly realized I had no idea how to actually do it.

Drop all products into their productname Catalog Set
and each view also into its Viewname set

Is this something you would set up once and then be able to reuse over and over?

Set the flyout for Catalog Sets switched to Intersection, and clicking on the productname and the viewname will only show you the one image that is in both sets. (Union would show *all* photos of that product, and all photos from that viewpoint.

I looked for Intersection or Union in my version of ME ( I have version 1.0.3 ) but didn’t seem to find it anywhere. Do I just need to re-ready the manual?

Thanks,

Scott Robinson
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:17:48 PM »

Scott,
Can you make Catalog Sets?  Hit the Plus in the line next to the words "Catalog Fields" on the top left of the Organize panel.

Once you've made one set, you can add subsets with a right-click (or Control Click on a Mac with one-button mouse.)

To add files to the et, just drag thumbnails to the set.

___  As to question 2, I was refering to EM2, not 1.  I can't remember how it was done in V1.  THere is a way to toggle between union and intersection, I think it's in the flyout next to the Plus button described above.

If that doesn't do it, show up on my doorstep this weekend with a sixpack of Stella Artois, and I'll set it up for you.
;-)
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: