Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Path Name not Available in XM 2 SP1 -- No Problem in iView 3
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 02:30:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Path Name not Available in XM 2 SP1 -- No Problem in iView 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Path Name not Available in XM 2 SP1 -- No Problem in iView 3  (Read 3896 times)
Andrew Rowat

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:42 AM »

Baseline: I am running XM 2.0.1631.0 SP1 on a Vista Ultimate SP1 (32-bit) with 4GB RAM, and two Xeon quadcore 2.0GZ processors. I am also running Quicktime Pro 7.3.1.

Problem: I am opening existing iView Media Pro (3.1.2) catalogues in XM2 however all of the files are showing up as missing. When I go into the 'list view' the path name where the files are lists only the filename itself (for instance, 'rowat_cnus_20090126_2240-09'), but does not list the drive that it is on. If I click on thumbnail view there is no problem. If I click on the media view I am greeted with a "file not found" "[-43]" message.

If I search for missing items, and then point the program at the correct location it does not solve the problem. Nor does resetting the path. Nor does changing the drive name, opening XM. Or changing the drive name back.

The program is obviously unusable right now because I cannot sync any annotations back to the original files because the program cannot see them. Thoughts?

-Andrew.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:23 AM »

Andrew,
I expect that there is something about how the path is noted in the database that the new version does not like.  This could be becuase there is something in the drive or folder names that it messing it up (a non-standard character, or foldername that is too long), or it could be because the database has been corrupted in some way.

You could try a couple things.  In iView, try selecting all images and dropping in a new catalog.  Open this catalog in EM2 and see what you see.

Also, you could sync the annotations back to the catalog and rebuild from scratch.  Other than computer chug time, the only thing you should lose is the order of your catalog sets.

If neither of those seem to work, we should probably get MS to look at the catalog and see what's up.
Peter

Andrew Rowat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »

Peter -

Thanks for the note, and the suggestions.

Option 1: Open iView. Drag images into a new catalog. Save new catalog. Open newly saved catalog in EM2. It worked.

I have this problem with a couple other catalogs, but it does not seem to be consistent across all my catalogs. ie a difficult to reproduce problem.

Thanks for your work-around suggestion. I have posted on the MS site as well to see what their thoughts are.
Thanks again,

Andrew.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:15:14 PM »

Andrew,
In the upgrade from iView to EM, I've had to do this with a number of my catalogs.  It's not terribly surprising - rebuilding databases is not uncommon.  It's nice that this method rebuilds it with minimal work (just realphabetizing the catalog sets).

Some of my catalogs started out in iView 2.6, so it's pretty good that they have survivied so many years and versions.

By contrast, most of my Lightroom 1 catalogs had to be tossed at some point for various reasons (I did run them through betas, which certainly increases the likelihood of breaking them). Some just refused to work, some were wonky.

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: