Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EMP2 and Vista 64 bit upgrade
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EMP2 and Vista 64 bit upgrade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMP2 and Vista 64 bit upgrade  (Read 6240 times)
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:32 AM »

I'm working on getting the new PC setup and seem to be having an issue with EMP and my existing catalog.  I can open and view the catalog that is located on an external drive that was used on the old Windows XP platform however when I try to close the program EMP asks if I would like to save changes, clicking yes gives the following error "Catalog couldn't be saved because an unrecoverable error occured.  This file may be corrupt".

I then tried to save the catalog with a different name "Originals 02 vs Originals01" and then when opening the 02 catalog the file names are there but none of the images

I'm trying to figure out if this is a Vista issue, EMP or hard drive issue.  The hard drive was simply disconnected from the old system and plugged into the new

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »

Rob,
Fist, the catalog is not larger than 1.8 GB, right?

Also, can you open and save other catalogs from that drive?
Do you have a backup of the catalog?
Do you have another computer to test on - to open and save the catalog?
Peter

R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »

Peter,

The catalog is well under the 1.8 threshold, the old PC is all intact and setting it up to work with the catalog is going to be my next step.  Once I get all the external drives installed I should have a backup of the catalog available.  My Lightroom catalog is stored on the same drive, I should have made a notation of this but, before I could get LR to work properly I had to make a change in the administrative settings to allow myself access to the folder.  Possibly an issue with EMP2?

Rob
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »

Ok, I setup the old PC and connected the drive with the EMP2 catalog on it.  I first simply opened and then closed the program with no issues and then made a couple of small changes within the catalog to force it to save the changes and again the program saved the catalog and closed without a problem.

I think I'll copy the catalog to a different drive and try that on the vista system next, if there is again an issue then it would lead to think it's an issue with Vista

Rob
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »

Update:

After verifying the functionality of the catalog on the XP system i copied the catalog to a different external drive and opened it on the Vista system.  After updating all the folder paths I again tried to close and save the catalog with the same error message.

Has anyone else made this transition from a 32 bit XP OS to the Vista 64bit ?

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »

Rob,
So you have opened and saved the catalog on another system, with the catalog residing on the same drive? 
Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »

Peter
  I've done both, I opened and made minor changes to the catalog and saved the catalog on the XP system successfully on the same drive. I then copied the catalog to a different drive and made the same actions with success.  As I think about it this second action isn't a valid check; copying the catalog to a different drive is most likely copying the the problem as well.
  In both cases the catalog works on the Vista system as far as all the thumbs being visible and my catalog sets, ratings and keywords are available as well, if I make any changes to the catalog on the Vista system I get the error message.
  As a last option I'm trying to create a new catalog on the Vista OS by importing the images via File>Import Images>From Files/Folders, just to see if creating a new catalog on the Vista OS solves the issue.  Although, it looks like I'll lose some of the EMP information this may be a work around to at least determine where the problem is.

Thanks!

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »

Rob,
Yes, that's the next thing to check out - can you create and save catalogs on the 64 bit machine. Importing the catalog should preserve all information, but Catalog sets will be in a different order.

Let's find out if it's a problem with the catalog or the OS/machine/config

Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »

Peter,
  I tried to import the entire catalog from the File>Import Items>From Catalog File menu and ended up with some crazy renaming of the files.  The solution that is working - sort of- is to make a new catalog on the Vista machine and then import the files from the File>Import>From Files/Folders option and this works, I am able to save the changes to the catalog and reopen it without a problem.

Just out of curiosity when the new catalog is completed it will be interesting to make a backup of it and try the reverse; open the catalog created in Vista on the XP machine and see what happens. 

I say "sort of" because the one thing I can't import with this method  is the catalog sets.  Any idea of how to recreate these? I've thought about creating a temporary folder and then use the transfer to folder option to then move them over to the new system but I don't think I would be able to delete the temp folder after adding the images to the catalog sets without losing the reference.

Surely I'm not the first to migrate from XP to Vista but at this point everything points to a conflict between EMP catalogs created on the XP platform being transferred over to Vista.  With both machines running side by side I checked all of the preference setting were the same so that isn't an issue.   I guess all in all, this is a somewhat minor setback in an otherwise smooth but time consuming switchover. Now if I could only find a flatbed scanner that would run on this system everything would be complete.

Rob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 05:38:25 PM »

Rob,
The catalog sets should come across.  Is this area completely blank?
Is it any different if you simply drag items from the old catalog to a new blank one?
Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 08:59:06 AM »

Peter,
  Well, I finally found the issue and I feel like a DAM idiot.  During all of the installation of programs and updates I failed to install the EMP2 upgrade from my original EMP program on the new PC, it finally hit me when I had both systems running side by side.

I've still had some hick-ups but this may well be cured by the SP1 update that was just installed.  File folders kept getting moved around and then while trying to reorganize them in the correct order the program freezes and must be shut down and then when reopening the catalog I get the message that the file is locked for editing and I can only open it in read only format.

If I want to add a new folder should I add it through the explore window first and then update the catalog in EMP?  If I try to add a subfolder directly in EM it tells me the name is invalid and simply assigns the title of New Folder  to the folder.

Sorry for all the confusion because of my carelessness.

Rob

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: