Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Philosophical Organizational Issues
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 09:36:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Philosophical Organizational Issues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Philosophical Organizational Issues  (Read 14109 times)
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »

Chris,
What was the box you unchecked?  The Preview box? THat was my question you early in this thread.
Peter

Oh sorry.  I unchecked the "use built in previews" box.  That was the ticket.

cheers

chris

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 06:07:07 AM »

Now on to the next issue......  Huh

The problem I'm now having is that the performance of XM makes it unusable.  This morning I opened the catalog and clicked on a folder in the catalog files tab to collapse it.  XM immediately pegged my CPU usage at 100% and did not respond for 6 minutes.  I timed it.  CPU usage is still (10+ minutes) hovering at 95% and XM is non-responsive.  I've watched the system and I'm using about 600mg of memory and XM is not accessing the images store on my NAS (it hasn't woken up during the process).  This is all internal thrashing.  Nothing else was running at the time.

I'm running WindowXP SP4 on a Dell M70 Precision laptop with 2 gb of memory.  I recently reformatted the disk and did a fresh reinstall of windows.  I've got DotNET 2 SP1, DotNET3 SP1 and DotNET3.5.  I've also got the Visual C++2005 and 2008 Redistributable's installed (they make Capture NX more responsive).  I've also installed the Nikon codec's supplied by MS.

Is there a way to get usable performance from XM out of this older computer?  If not, I'm going to have to fall back to IMatch (big ick) or forward on to an alternate DAM.  I've been struggling with XM since Christmas and have not gotten to a point where I can do anything productive.

Thanks

chris
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:44:34 AM by cdubea » Logged

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 06:44:04 AM »

Quick update,

I uninstalled DotNET 2 and 3 and the C++ 2005 redistributables.  Also uninstalled the Nikon codec's provided by Microsoft.  It's substantially faster now.  Hopefully now I can get something done.

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 06:49:18 AM »

Chris,
The two other main culprits are related to directory.

1. If you have lots of subfolders, performance can slow. Do you have more than a couple hundred folders in the cataloged media?
2. Network performance can also be an issue, if your files are stored remotely. If this is the problem, unmounting the storage will usually make the speed problems disappear.
Peter

Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »

Peter, the box that Chris initially had checked was "Use built-in thumbnails (if available)". All other boxes on that dialog, including Media Previews, were unchecked. Unchecking the "use built-in thumbnails" box seems to have improved things for him considerably.

Arlen
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 02:56:56 PM »

Arlen,
Thanks for that.  Never heard of that one.
Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 05:55:27 PM »

Chris,
The two other main culprits are related to directory.

1. If you have lots of subfolders, performance can slow. Do you have more than a couple hundred folders in the cataloged media?
2. Network performance can also be an issue, if your files are stored remotely. If this is the problem, unmounting the storage will usually make the speed problems disappear.
Peter

Yeah, I've got 4-500 folders.  Any workarounds?

Thanks

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 08:20:54 PM »

Chris,
Hmm, 40 or so images per folder - that's a lot of subdivision.

You could combine folders.  If you've got some kind of keywording or other data "remembered" by foldername, you could run the script "Keywords from Folders..." and it would add the foldername as a keyword for the images.
Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »

Chris,
Hmm, 40 or so images per folder - that's a lot of subdivision.

You could combine folders.  If you've got some kind of keywording or other data "remembered" by foldername, you could run the script "Keywords from Folders..." and it would add the foldername as a keyword for the images.
Peter

I'll be honest, I'm probably not going to combine any folders.  My first level of organization is via folder name and this has served me well thus far.  i'll trudge on through with what I'm doing and hope upon hope that SP2 will improve things.

thanks

chris

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: