Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Philosophical Organizational Issues
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Philosophical Organizational Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Philosophical Organizational Issues  (Read 14106 times)
cdubea

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:06:59 AM »

I've pretty much completed importing (from IMatch) and cleaning up my catalog of 18k+ NEFs.  One this is apparent is XM is way to slow to effectively manage that number of images, but that is a topic for another day.

So, I'm looking for guidance on how to organize my catalog(s)

I "think" that I'm going to split my catalog up into years which should make each years worth of images more responsive in managing.  Is there a straightforward way to split off a section of a catalog into another catalog?

If you were doing this how would you organize it?  Can Catalog Sets be used to manage a group of smaller catalogs?

Thanks for any philosophical pointers you might be able to pass along,

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »

chris,
18,000 files should not make things too slow.  Something else is happening.
Are all the files on local drives?  Anything connected by USB/Firewore or a network drive?
Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:24:52 PM »

chris,
18,000 files should not make things too slow.  Something else is happening.
Are all the files on local drives?  Anything connected by USB/Firewore or a network drive?
Peter
Hi Peter

The files are on an Infrant ReadyNAS connected via a 1gbit Ethernet connection.  My main computer these days is a Dell Precision M70 laptop which could not possibly hold all these photos, even if I wanted it to.  It's a fairly powerful machine (for it's age) and I've recently done a drive format and WinXP re-install.   I've done some speed tests on the system and absolute throughput is similar to numbers I get with a USB drive.  The problem is DAM's are chatty applications which can bring a SAMBA file interface to it's knees.  I struggled quite a bit getting the system tuned for using IMatch and was able to get acceptable performance from it.  Problem was I absolutely hated IMatch.  XM is a much more natural fit with my thinking.

The XM catalog has gotten kind of large (1.3 gb) as I had originally built it using variable sized thumbnails.  I know as you approach 1.6 gb catalogs things start to get slower.  So, I'm currently rebuilding the catalog with 240 pixel thumbnails and no previews.  Hopefully that will reduce the size of the catalog and make XM more responsive.  I won't know for a while as I suspect this will take about 24 hours.

Is there an easy way to split catalogs up?

Thanks,

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:21 PM »

Chris,
Before splitting, let's look at a few other things.

If you dismount the NAS, does performance speed up?

As to Catalog size, it sounds like you built thumbnails at High quality.  Try a rebuild at 640 PX medium, and see what that does to catalog size.  If it's still too big, try building lower-rated images at low quality.

Of course, whenever you start mucking around with catalogs, it's a good time to make sure you have a good backup of the catalog - maybe even one burned to DVD.

Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »

Chris,
Before splitting, let's look at a few other things.

If you dismount the NAS, does performance speed up?

As to Catalog size, it sounds like you built thumbnails at High quality.  Try a rebuild at 640 PX medium, and see what that does to catalog size.  If it's still too big, try building lower-rated images at low quality.

Of course, whenever you start mucking around with catalogs, it's a good time to make sure you have a good backup of the catalog - maybe even one burned to DVD.

Peter

Thanks for the hints.

Yes, I used high quality.  I'll try again with medium.  I do have a copy of the catalog, but I also have all the data synchronized in the files so if the process goes south, I'll simply create a new catalog from scratch.

As soon as it finishes rebuilding the catalog I'll test the disconnected responses.

Thanks again.

You planning on attending the Inauguration?  It's going to be very interesting.  I have a feeling security is going to be very tight.  Have seen messages on other boards indicating that backpacks and large cameras are not going to be allowed, whatever that really means.

I'm glad I won't be anywhere near it.....

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 09:05:06 AM »

Chris,
I was going to go to the Inauguration, but my shoot fell through.  Given how much (really cold) prep is involved, and how much work I need to do on the book, it's probably a good thing.  At least it won't be 12 degrees like it was here last week.

I'm going to (warmly) hang out with my family and neighbors, in great anticipation of the coming change.

Peter

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »

Okay, I've scanned and rescanned files.  I've created new catalogs at low quality 320 pixel thumbnails with no previews and the catalog is 1.3gb and XM is a pig.  Depending on what I do there is a 30-60 second delay in response with or without the NAS box active.

I guess I'm going to have to split the catalog up.  This is very disappointing as I'm really liking XM.

Is there an "easy" way to split off catalogs?

Thanks

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Chris,
Something's not right here.
18,000 image with low quality 320 px thumbs just should not be that big - way less than half that size probably.

Are you building "full screen previews as well?"

Try this.  Make a new empty catalog, select all thumbnails, and drag to the new catalog (if may take 10 minutes before the thumbs "grab" after starting to drag).  This will create a new, rebuilt database. Check size and try rebuilding if necessary.

You could also try to build a new catalog and see what size that comes to.

As to splitting, that's easy.  Duplicate the catalog, delete half the images from one copy and the other half from the other copy.

Peter

Peter

cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »

Chris,
Something's not right here.
18,000 image with low quality 320 px thumbs just should not be that big - way less than half that size probably.

Are you building "full screen previews as well?"

Try this.  Make a new empty catalog, select all thumbnails, and drag to the new catalog (if may take 10 minutes before the thumbs "grab" after starting to drag).  This will create a new, rebuilt database. Check size and try rebuilding if necessary.

You could also try to build a new catalog and see what size that comes to.

As to splitting, that's easy.  Duplicate the catalog, delete half the images from one copy and the other half from the other copy.

Peter

LOL!  Everybody is telling me that something isn't right. 

I've done all you recommend and the smallest catalog I've created is 1.3 gb. 

You can see how it's setup at

http://www.dubea.com/XM-setup.jpg

I did manage to get it split up into years worth which is a little better.

Thanks

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:47 PM »

Chris,
You're sure you aren't creating Full Screen Previews (Thumbnails and Previews in the Edit menu)?
And Thumbnails are 640 pixels low quality.
I'm still really puzzled as to the catalog size, unless you are making these.
Peter
Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »

Chris, I replied to your post on Microsoft's Expression Media help forum. Try unchecking the box as I suggested there, and see if that helps.

Arlen
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:00:14 PM by Arlen » Logged
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »

Chris, I replied to your post on Microsoft's Expression Media help forum. Try unchecking the box as I suggested there, and see if that helps.

Arlen

Arlen,

I saw your message and you are a life saver.  This is what was making my catalog so big.  I'm nearly through rescanning and the catalog size is about half.

cheers,

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »

Chris,
Do tell.
Peter
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »

Chris,
Do tell.
Peter

Not certain i understand what you are asking, but the catalog size was over 1.3 gb when I started and today it's 650 mb and much more responsive.

chris

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:11 PM »

Chris,
What was the box you unchecked?  The Preview box? THat was my question you early in this thread.
Peter

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: