Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
EM2 not recognizing Nikon D700 .NEF files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  EM2 not recognizing Nikon D700 .NEF files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EM2 not recognizing Nikon D700 .NEF files  (Read 6439 times)
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »

EM2 doesn't recognize my D700 .NEF images, but it recognizes my D50 .NEF  images. I have checked for updates and it says there are none available. It does recognize my .DNG conversions of the same file.
Thanks
Garth Wunsch

Mac OS X 10.4.11
EM2  SP1 V. 2.0.1 (1631)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:33:27 PM »

EM2 on Mac recognizes my D700 files. So have you got all the Mac updates installed? And what is the preferred engine in the rendering preferences - mine's set to Manufacturer.

John
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:40:24 PM »

Hi John.
Mac is up to date and EM2 also set to "manufacturer"
Garth
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:47:52 PM »

Anything odd about the raw files? Mine are 14 bit lossless compressed, straight from camera (so no Nikon Capture).

John
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »

Hi John
While looking for something different, I clicked on "list" and this is what displays [see end of post] (showing only one of the many files) There is no File size, file type, width height pr duration data. This data (except for 'duration' displays) displays for the DNG's and D50 nef files. I also experienced this lack of data in another major problem I had and discussed here at great length with Peter and Marc Rochkind. IIP or my Adobe DNG converter screwed up months worth of images by renaming the file in both the main hard drive and the back up drive by including the term "view.noindex_xxxx". We never did get the images back.  There were some files it didn't rename but those files also wouldn't display in the EM2 catalog. They were missing the same data as these files.

I'm not much of a geek on this machine, but I see one thing that looks different when I look at the EXIF data in Bridge... it says the files are 16 bit depth. I thought the D700  had a 14 bit depth and the D50 was 12 bit. Perhaps I'm confusing these numbers with something else... but I'm just looking for stuff I don't recognize.

Wunsch_090109_3638.NEF   -   -   -   -   -   Macintosh HD:Users:garth:Pictures:Working:RAW Workflow:1 Rename ACR Defaults:3634-3655:Wunsch_090109_3638.NEF

Thanks
Garth
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:37:58 AM »

Garth
I think the problem is the Mac system version. EM uses QT to parse the images, and the older version probably can't handle the D700 files.
Peter
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 10:27:15 AM »

Hi Peter
Sounds like you're saying I need to spend yet more cash and upgrade to Leopard??? Is that correct? QT (Quick Time?) is up to date.
When I purchased the D700 and two lenses (almost $8,000 CDN with tax) I never thought that I would end up shoveling out so much extra cash just to be able to use the lovely machine. Don't think I'll upgrade equipment in any significant way for a while. Ahhhh, the bliss of ignorance!!!!
Thanks
Garth

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »

That is a difference between our computers, though I only upgraded it to Leopard over Christmas and am pretty sure I had imported D700 files into the EM2 catalogue before then. I'd recommend following it up at Microsoft's forum before spending the money.

Also, what happens if you switch the rendering to Apple? Can you import them then? I assume that this is based on core image (?) and that new camera support is rolled out as part of standard updates. But for all I know, I may have got the updates because Aperture's on this machine.

John

Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

Hi John
Went to Microsoft's forum and poked around a bit.
Saw the same issues with D90 and D300, so I followed the blood trail...
I had the EM preferences correct in RAW (use manufacturer), but here's the kicker, and the fix was so simple... RESTART EM2, then select the previously errant image(s) and pick Action-> Rebuild Item... and there they are  Shocked

Another case closed... thanks all!
Garth Wunsch

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »

Addendum to my "case closed" post.
This is strictly FYI for anyone else experiencing similar problems. If you see a blank page icon in your EM2 catalog, that image should open with the rebuild command. If you see half a camera over the page icon, that probably means you deleted the original file(s) after trying to put the image(s) into the catalog, at least that's what happened in my case.
Bye again
Garth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: