Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Using EM2 as a viewer
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 04:14:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Using EM2 as a viewer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using EM2 as a viewer  (Read 5941 times)
braver

View Profile Email
« on: December 16, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »

I'm now planning to use EM2 as a viewer (and cataloger) on my old Compaq TC1000 Tablet PC.  I keep my DNGs in Lightroom for Mac, now at 2.2, and would like to export them in a nice and consistent manner to EM2 so I can (a) enjoy cataloging them, and (b) be able to do it on the tablet, on my sofa, with the stylus, away from the RAW development.  The tablet however is quite old and has a slow Crusoe processor, so I'd like to have all JPEGs ready-made for its screen resolution, 1024x768 IIRC.  So here's the question -- how do I structure the workflow here?  I own all three -- Lightroom, EM2 for Mac, and EM2 for Windows.  Now I'm making sure DNGs have full-size JPEG preview, as Peter taught us.  (I'm even writing a Unix script which uses exiftool to determine the size of the previews and calls Adobe DNG converter to regenerate the previews if they're not full-size.)

EM2 is able to pull those full-size previews, which are in native camera pixel resolution, 2-3K pixels each size.  Now the question is, what do I do in LR, and what in EM, and whether on the Mac or the PC, to create 1024x768 screen-size previews and use those in EM on PC?

Cheers,
Alexy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:22:51 PM »

Hey Alexy, nice to hear from you.
Can you just browse the catalog using the thumbnail in the catalog?

Not clear on your workflow here.

Peter
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:49:51 PM »

OK -- so I want to have the catalog set up so that EM2 doesn't resize JPEGs on my tablet.  My EM2 for PC is actually on the way, so I'm not sure whether it spends time resizing JPEGs, but I wonder whether EM2 has a set number of screen sizes for previews, like Lightroom, and whether it's possible to basically tell it that the target screen is 1024x768 so it must prepare JPEGs for that size.  Or will it be fast enough off full-size previews it culled out of DNGs and resizing them on the fly?  Last time I did that I ended up with small JPEGs not even the size of the screen, and thought it's because the DNGs lacked full-size previews...  Am I forgetting something -- is EM2 capable of showing full-screen JPEGs?

BTW, saw your mentioning the next DAM edition -- godspeed with that! Smiley  I've preordered it on Amazon and am telling everybody to do the same!

Cheers,
Alexy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 07:47:32 AM »

Alexy,
Well, wait until you get the software, then you can find what works - I have confidence you'll figure it out.

As to the next book, we're hoping to hit a March pub date.  It's slow going, but more than 2/3 of the book is written, and I'm knocking things out at a good clip at the moment.

Peter
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 02:34:25 PM »

Hi Alexy, I would have thought that the easiest way would be to put EM2 on both machines and create a catalogue of the DNGS from your main machine using EM2's feature to build inbuilt previews in the catalogue, these can be set to either 800px, 1024px and 1280px easily capable of full screen vewing.

Then you could just copy the catalogue over to your tablet and view and catalogue them to your hearts content.  Smiley

braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:57 PM »

Paul S -- exactly right, thank you!  I forgot for a sec that I can specify the preview size as 1024, which is exactly my tablet's resolution.  The size is pretty good -- 50 MB for every 500 images.  EM2 on Windows reads an archive created on a Mac just fine.

Alexy
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

Peter -- can you please remind us, how do you set up your EM2 catalogs:

-- What preview size do you use?
-- What thumbnail sizes do you use, and what quality? 
-- Do you make EM2 extract them from DNG -- when you know they have full-size preview, right? That's Preferences=>Media Rendering=>RAW=> Use embedded preview, if available.  I remember you recommended setting it, but I get only small thumbs out of DNGs, and so wonder what else should I do to get larger thumb sizes.
-- Do you catalog in Media view, with one image, or in thumbs view?  The latter allows to drag many images at once to catalog sets/hierarchical keywords, but one needs to have larger thumbs to see well.

Since one of the advantages of EM2 over LR2 is smaller catalog sizes, I feel we need a very specific tradeoff -- thumbs and previews sizes big enough to catalog things, but not bigger.

Cheers,
Alexy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »

Alexy,
I start with 640 px/Medium.  I rebuild as 640 px Low when I hit 25,000 images in a catalog.
I do not create previews.
Yes, I extract the preview from the DNG.
I generally use Thumbs view for my organizational work.
Peter
braver

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »

Peter -- so you can't use EM as a viewer for full-screen slideshow without original media connected, right?  I have an old tablet with 1024x768 screen, and am making previews with size 1024 so I can view my catalog full-screen.  I specified the thumbs size at 320, but when increasing thumbs size clicking on + on the top right, only the perimeter increases, with the same small thumb inside.  Are they supposed to grow in size as well?

Cheers,
Alexy
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »

Alexy,
The handling of "thumbs" and "previews" need to be unified, but they are not.

THe Thumbs are used for the thumbnail view - the preview will be used for slideshow and media if the original media is not present. It would be nice if the previews could be used to fill in the gaps when thumbs run out of pixels. 

I also am disappointed that media view no longer uses thumbs if the media is not present.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: