Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Maximum Media File Size In EM2 ?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 02:20:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Maximum Media File Size In EM2 ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Maximum Media File Size In EM2 ?  (Read 7244 times)
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 09, 2008, 06:05:52 AM »

Upgraded to EM2 last week, although I had EM1 installed I had stuck with iView as my catalog program. I've been testing EM2 and have been pleased with it's performance and am ready to switch from iView. I have encountered one problem. I have 2 panoramics that are in excess of 400MB that show as corrupted files when I switch to the media view. I have used EM2's actions to open the file in CS4. The file appears fine in Photoshop, all layers are intact. Made a test catalog with iView and the media file appears O.K. Tried the same thing with EM2 and got a corrupted file view.

I've searched the EM site to see if there is a maximum media file size limit but found no mention of it. Any ideas?

Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:42:13 AM »

Bill,
In Preferences>Media Rendering>Images is "Skip all images larger than XX checked?
Peter
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:27 AM »

Peter,

That box is unchecked.

Bill
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »

I see the same thing on large images.  I don't think it has to do with the disk size of the file.  I believe its a certain pixel limit that Expression Media can't handle.  I've tried the images in question as TIFF, PSD, PDB.. and all PSDs saved with max compatibility on.  I get no thumbnail or media view... only a generic file icon.  They display fine in Bridge and open without errors.  I don't have the files in front of me but they are very high pixel count files... larger than my typical pano.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:59:23 AM »

You don't say what system you're on.  On Mac, EM uses Quicktime.  If an image is unsupported, I think that will be because it's not supported by Quicktime.  Can you right-click and open the image in Quicktime.

On PC, EM can use the WIC codecs.  Again, the images needs to be supported by whatever software is decoding the image file.

Knowing system, file format, file size and pixel dimensions would be helpful.
Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »

I'm on Mac 10.5.5 with EM 2.0.1.  I have small handful of files that show this problem.  They are a variety of common formats but all are LARGE.  Here's an example:
an RGB jpeg file 10425 x 27000 pixels.  Right clicking in EM and choosing Open in Quicktime does open the image.  Bridge also properly displays the file and Photoshop opens it just fine.  The thumbnail in EM is a generic file icon.  I see this error message on the media pane:

"No importer found for media file [-2008]
Please consult the help topic 'Media Rendering errors'
for more information"

I see the same thing with PSD or TIFF files of a similar pixel size.

Bob Smith
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »

Ok... I've tried right clicking and opening the file described above several more times.  Some times it opens just fine.  Other times Quicktime player hangs and crashes while opening the file.  Quicktime player is obviously struggling with something this large.  Sometimes works... sometimes doesn't

Bob Smith
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:51:05 PM »

Peter and Bob,

I'm on XP SP3, the 2 image files in question are TIF, one os 17529 x 2108 pixels the other is 20875 x 1924 pixels. Both of these are much smaller than Bob,s. There must be some difference between iView (where these 2 media files open fine) and EM2. I forgot to mention that the thumbnails come up fine in EM2. If this is something that is a limitation in EM2 it's something I can certainly live with but after my experience with bugs in EM1 I'm somewhat hesitant to move from iView.

Bill
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »

I just tried the folder that contains some of my large files with the last version of iView.  It crashed because there were also some pdf files in that folder.  That reminded me why I upgraded.  When I eliminated pdfs, iView at least took the thumbnail in on the jpeg where EM would not.  It displays a thumbnail on the media page rather than the error the EM gives.  IView would not import PSD or TIFF version of the same image at the same size... looks exactly the same as EM.  This is a relatively minor annoyance to me as I rarely handle images that large.  I can count on my fingers the number of files that are large enough to show this effect in my entire 2008 catalog.  All of those same images are there in smaller versions as well.  Still... I'd love to be able to see at least thumbnails if possible.

I pulled up some more typical panos... 11380x3419 TIFF files.  Those are handled by EM just fine.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

Bill,
On PC, Em can use WIC or Quicktime to decode image files. Not sure how that relates to XP versions.

Do you have Quicktime installed?  Did you check the documentation about installation and image decoding?
Peter
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 05:14:38 AM »

Peter,

I have QT 7.3.1 installed.

Yes, I did check the user guide. I assume that the image decoding you refer to are the supported files. All the other TIFF files in the catalog are behaving properly.

Since my last post I've encountered some problems when I updated a folder. EM began adding duplicate images from other folders in the catalog. At this point I'm going to delete the current EM2 catalog and start fresh.
I copied my current iView catalog to the EM folder when I installed EM2. I would assume this would be the proper procedure or am I wrong?

Thanks,
BillĀ 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 05:54:26 AM »

Bill,
You're using SP1 of EM2, right?
Peter
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:39 AM »

Peter,

Yes, that is correct.

Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »

Bill,
If you would not be losing anything, then I'd start a new catalog.  If that would lead to data loss, there are other things to try (Select all images and drag into a new catalog, for instance).

The catalog can live where ever you want it to.
Peter
Bill Lewis

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »

Peter,

"The catalog can live where ever you want it to."

Yes, I understand that. My purpose for using the copy was to be sure I didn't corrupt the original even though I have it backed up. My experience with EM 1 hasn't given me much confidence in EM. At this point the only quirk I see is the 2 panoramics that don't open properly when using the media view. These images are the beginning of a many years long personal project and I can easily live with the media view not opening. The updating problem was due to my impatience, I believe. At any rate I've built 2 small test catalogs and the folder update is working fine. "Patience is essential!"

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: