The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:45:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Scripting
| | |-+  Select media item in mid-script
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Select media item in mid-script  (Read 3987 times)
billseymour

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »

Still fiddling around with vbs scripting in iView.

I would like to have a script pause, allow the user to select a media item (let's say just one), and proceed from there.

Could someone point me to a script somewhere that has a 'pause/select_item/continue running' fragment of vbs code? I'm afraid I'm not seeing/missing the proper command/syntax in the iView scripting PDF file.

Thanks. --Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »

Just make two scripts.

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »

I'm not sure I fully understand. I probably didn't explain what I wanted to do:

I would like to be able to copy limited metadata from a Source image (Keywords and Description), and write them to a Target image. (I have had a number of instances where I composite in Ps, only to realize that the composite file has none of the metadata- this occurs especially when I start with a New file, of course, rather than starting with an image already filled with metadata info).

I've done scripts writing to Description, and modified your (JohnB's) filename to title, etc. But in all of these cases, I'd already selected the images to be processed before running the script; and the script (like filename to title) loops through the selected images.

I don't think it is much problem doing the transfer once I have a Source and Target selected. But I don't think that simply selecting two files will do the trick (because depending on the filename sequence, I could have Source-first Target-second, or the reverse).

I thought that if I could say 'select Source' (and then make a selection), I could pull the metadata into temporary variables. Then if I could say 'select Target', I'd be able to assign the values to the proper fields in the Target.

Hopefully that better explains what I am after. (Would a 'two script' method work for this?)

(This is not a pressing thing, since I only have to do this occasionally. At worst, I can pull Source and Target into Photoshop, and transfer the few metadata fields with File Info. I don't usually use Bridge, but perhaps I could do same there? This post is really an effort to learn the ins-and-outs of scripting better.)
Thanks-
--Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 01:47:03 AM »

You could do so if you launched an external VB application, whether it's made in VB itself or in Excel, and then saved the settings to it. A VBS option would be to save to an Internet Explorer window. I may have an example somewhere if you're interested. It wasn't something I continued using and polishing though.

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:22:44 AM »

Yes, John, I'd be quite interested to see an example of what you are describing, even if it is in 'rough' form.

This seems to be one of 'simple questions' that has an unusually more complex answer than I'd have guessed at when posing the issue.
Thanks. --Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:49:34 AM »

It's rough-ish. Is your profile's email address valid?

John
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »

Yes, John, it's a valid email. (Just checked to make sure it is still current).

Thanks. --Bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: