Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Download CS4 FileInfo and Bridge panels SWF for EM
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 07:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Download CS4 FileInfo and Bridge panels SWF for EM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Download CS4 FileInfo and Bridge panels SWF for EM  (Read 14782 times)
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:38:17 AM »

Hi

A full FileInfo and Bridge Metadata panel implementation can be downloaded from:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1701061

"Expression Media CS4 Panel with source" in Flex area of Adobe Exchange.

The package contains:

a Custom SWF compiled EM panel for CS4 apps. It shows Catalog sets, User Fields, People, Status and Event. Tested on Windows but should work under Mac (SWF are portable). Try it under Mac and let me know. The Mac path (non descripted in readme file) should be:

Mac/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/panels

Source code is included for this Flex Builder SWF (used Flex on Windows version to build).

a Generic SWF project that can be used instead of custom SWF (less pretty than Custom SWF, included only for those that want to port it to Apple Mac using the Generic base project from the XMP FileInfo SDK for Mac). The Mac path (non descripted in readme file) should be:

Mac/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/panels

a EM Panel for Bridge Metadata (Win and Mac). The Mac path (non descripted in readme file) should be:

Mac/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/custom

or

/Users/<username>/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/custom

I hope this bunch of EM panels for CS4 can be useful!

Note: I choosed to implement only the EM fields NOT found in Photoshop (even with other names es: "Labels2 field in EM = "Urgency" field in PS).

Massimo

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:52:26 AM by Massimo Novi » Logged
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:03 AM »

Massimo

I think we need to be clearer about the error in Adobe's documentation for Mac. The panels do not work if they are put in /Users/<username>/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/custom. They should go in Mac/ApplicationData/Adobe/XMP/Custom File Info Panels/2.0/panels .

I produced mine using the generic SWF from the SDK. I'd be interested to know if you any previous experience of Flex and your thoughts about it. Did you use the free builder or have other tools?

John
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:00:33 AM »

John

thank You for Your reply and for Mac info on folder. I have no access for now to a CS4 configured Mac so I trust on Your help!

To build the SWF project I used the Adobe Flex Builder Pro 3.0 on Windows. It should work well also with the free Flex builder however. I had previous experience of coding on Flex but for basic panels there is not much needed. I used the XMP FileInfo SDK 4.4.2 from Adobe to generate a base XMP project with the XMP Wizard. It worked well. After that I had to understand the core working of new planning for CS4 metadata panels. After 2 hours from SDK setup I had a working panel.

The generic panel with XML extension was too limited (but useful) and I found that a full SWF panel was more expandable for future use.

I included the full SWF project in source code to help You and other Flex users with their panels. On the Adobe Community I noticed some folks with some problems with CS4 panels so I tried to help them.

In the readme file You will find setup and build info if You want to build and test the SWF panel.

No secrets!

Massimo

jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »

John/Massimo
I am on a Mac using CS4 and XM2. I downloaded John's panel and did have to put in the root library/app support/.... In the users/library, there wasn't even a folder for custom file info panels, only a folder for metadata templates. If you would like me to try out anything for you, let me know.
Now, for my question to you both:
John - Your panel, when put in the Library (not user) does show in Bridge info, and it does show the # of the color label added in XM2, but not the color or notation (Outtakes) Now, can you please explain your reason for creating the panel and how I could put it to use.
Lastly, it seems that the Keywording in XM2 has two separate functions, regular keywords and hierarchical keywords. These two don't seem to be connected and one can only load in a list in keywords, not hierarchical. If I load in a keyword list, made in text edit, the panel allows me to choose from that list, but the list can become very long. Also, hierarchical keywords are automatically loaded from any in Bridge, and that exists separately. What would you recommend as the best way to work with a system like this? Should I abandon hierarchical keywords altogether and clear it out? Just stay with one long keyword list?
Thanks again
Jonathan
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 02:01:27 AM »

Jonathan

For the color label problem is not a technical fault but the way those EM and Adobe fields relate to each other. The Color label in EM is translated in Urgency in IPTC/Adobe. The point is that the colors and name are EM defined and can only be directly related to the EM software. Adobe sees only a Urgency code. There is a workaround on a programming basis for such a info on panel but is not error-prone.

For trusted Mac folder info, John can give you last word info because I have no access to a CS4 Mac for now.

For hierchical keywords issue, I prefer to use them without hierarchy. Hierarchy is useful for input (search a keyword to insert into file) but is almost useless for search, with is a flat keyword list process most of times. Moreover, the searcher should know the hierarchy. I prefer to insert non hierchical keyword (disabling hierarchy in Bridge) and use them in common between EM and Bridge. Because of this I have not put keywords field in my panels.

Your mileage may vary...

Massimo
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 02:39:58 AM »

Jonathan

If that folder doesn't exist, create it. Massimo has answered the issue re the urgency field. I've a Bridge script to translate the urgency field over to Adobe's coloured label, but as Massimo says, all these cross-application things are vulnerable to error.

Also like Massimo, I have little time for keyword hierarchies. Partly that's because in practice I find it too much effort to keep them in sync between different apps and different machines - inevitably sooner or later things will start drifting apart. It's also because I think HK confuses maximizing data entry and finding images, and I'd rather not waste time building keywords into a hierarchy on the off chance that I might want to search by it. I really like his phrase "the searcher should know the hierarchy" - the clueless searcher can easily be you, a few months later when you've forgotten whether you put bald eagle under the birds hierarchy or under the wildlife one. I feel I save time by not building hierarchies and not having to sort them out, and can then use it more entering more flat keywords. Only when I actually need hierarchical structures do I build smart collections in Lightroom.

Since I started sounding off against HKs, I'm surprised how little negative reaction I've had from HK believers. By all means get on the HK bus if you want - it's not for me though.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:52:01 AM »

Although I like using hierarchies to organize, I actually have come to like the fact that my collection organization - via hierarchy in Catalog Sets - is separate from keywords.  I see the issues John raises - difficulty keeping in sync, trying to remember which of the nearly infinite valid ways I decided to build that hierarchy last month...

I'll throw this into the mix...The hierarchical information I use to keep my images in useful "piles" in catalog sets is often *not* keyword information. Images collected for a slideshow or portfolio can be noted by a keyword, buy that's misusing keywords.  I find that it can be useful to cross-search Catalog Sets and keywords (Show m all images in "Personal" with the keyword "Dog") and that by keeping these data sets separate, it's a bit cleaner.

I have 4 top-level hierarchies that I use for each of my large yearly catalogs:

Jobs - Client work, broken down
>Client Name
>>Project name (both of these are added by IIP at ingestion)
>>>Situations  (if the project is large enough)
>>>Web Gallery
>>>Client Selects

Personal (Non - commissioned work)
>Family
>>Useful Family subgroups, generally made when I have some search to perform)
>Friends
>>Friend Name
>>>Useful Friend subgroups, generally made when I have some search to perform)
>Travel
>>Travel Subgroups as necessary
>Events (particular events)
>Other groupings, as they are needed per year

Collections (groupings of onging work types)
>Portfolio
>>Portfolio Subgroups (May go several levels deep)
>Searches (Any time I search for something that does not neatly fit into an existing group, like Client A or Family)
>>Search NAme, Date, Purpose
>Ongoing Subjects (A place to collect "galleries" of images with a common theme, like Dogs, or Lensbabies)
>>Collection name (such as Architecture)
>>>Subgroups as necessary (such as "Interiors")

Utility Sets (Groupings for temporary process-based purposes)
>Needs Information
>>Location (A group where I can check on the status of my metadata input and completeness)
>>>Country is Blank (Do a periodic Search for "Country is Blank")
>>>Country Must be Blank (A collection of images that can't have a country designation - such as out an airplane window over international waters)
>>>State is Blank (you get the idea)
>Large Previews Created (If I'm going to build large previews so I can make a Slideshow, I'll add t a group here so I know to rebuild them smaller at a later date to save on catalog size)
>>Date and Reason Set (081122 - Slideshow at Hookway)
>Missing Items ( periodic search for items that the catalog has lost track of.  Needs to be resolved ASAP)

While many of these groups can be found by cross-referencing keywords and ratings along with other stuff, I find the constant need to make a "pile" of images somewhere.  I realy think a tool entirely separate from Keywords is a better place to do this.
Peter

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 07:18:44 AM »

OK, by contrast here's a Lightroom-based example to mull over - a hierarchical structure for wedding shoots.

The HK approach would have the children keyword, for example, in a number of hierarchies apart from weddings. Something like this simple hierarchy:

Portraits:
-Adults
-Candid
-Children
-Head
-Teenagers
Weddings
-Candid
-Children
-Formal

After 6 months, all sorts of things are going wrong because of trying to get iView/EM and Lightroom in sync, as well as the laptop and desktop:

Children
Portraits:
-Adults
-Candid
-Child
-Head
-Teenagers
Weddings
-Candid
-Children
-Formal

My flat alternative at day one and after 6 months:
Adults
Candid
Children
Formal
Head
Portraits
Teenagers
Weddings

Re Massimo's phrase, one doesn't need to know the hierarchy. And getting back to the original problem - a wedding structure - I just build it when I know I need it, not in any expectation that I may do so. I use Lightroom smart collections, so my "Weddings" Collection Set contains a smart collection Keywords / Contains All / Children, and another Keywords / Contains All / Formal.... The Collection Set might also contain smart and dumb collections which have less to do with keywords - eg 5 star, or workflow - so there's no risk that internal or utility keywords (Photoshop the ugly b*****) might slip out onto a disc sent to a client.

And to get back to Peter's statement - "I really think a tool entirely separate from Keywords is a better place to do this" - same thought process, rather different conclusion.

John
Massimo Novi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:58:29 AM »

I agree with Peter and John with their mixed approach.

I however use Hierarchy on EM only for classical catalogue tree-organization as (sample):

Jobs:
 - Marrakech
 - Paris
 - Birthday

DVD:
 - RAW_0001
 - RAW_0002
 - DNG_0001
 - DNG_0002

ExtHDD:
 - ExtHDD1
 - ExtHDD2

All my working phase is done on Bridge so in EM there are no "temp" items. EM is only for archives and DVD/external HDD reference. Special collections as "flowers" can be found with keywords. I use keywords strictly as IPTC fields to identify images content.

Where working items go to EM the games are done. But is only my use. I suggest users to do the same but in many cases other collections as in Wedding work can be used. I always prefer keywords to hierarchies anyway. Is easier to "hierchize" a group of keywords than "flatting" a group of hierarchies.

Your mileage may vary, as always...

Massimo

jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »

Thanks to all for the input. From my own experience trying to use the HK in Bridge and now in EM, I have found that it can be more of a hindrance to use than a help. What would be welcome in EM would be a preference that would allow the user to switch off HK and gain the room for the keyword list if they chose to use only that. Also, the list can get so long that instead of scrolling through it all, it would be helpful if one could start typing the keyword and have the list jump to that letter so that you could scroll that letters words more quickly. This feature is available at the desktop and in other programs.
Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »

Jonathan,
The whole HK thing needs more thought, as well as cooperation by major players.  The Adobe implementation is a "temporary" one.  The idea was to note the hierarchy off to the side in a way that did not break the existing Keywords field. 

Really, the issue becomes one of policy, more thn technology.  Maybe the Metadata Working group can help to straighten this out.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: