Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Are there preference that allow adobe metadata to show in EM?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 01:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Are there preference that allow adobe metadata to show in EM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are there preference that allow adobe metadata to show in EM?  (Read 4295 times)
ronandownes

View Profile Email
« on: October 23, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

Hi all,

I am not really able to take advantage of all of the power of EM as it is not reflecting adobe and pm rankings and colour labels.

Must I use Rank and File to achieve this or is there another way. I have set PM to the recomended adobe workflow settings.

Ronan
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 03:54:26 AM »

Hi Ronan,

Expression Media can read Adobe ratings and Photo Mechanic ratings.

Photo Mechanic won't read Expression Media ratings.

Expression Media stores its Color Labels in the legacy IPTC Urgency field. Photo Mechnaic 4.3.2 now has the option to write its Color Class/Labels to the IPTC Urgency field.

Expression Media can write Ratings to a file that supports embedded XMP (JPEG, TIF, DNG) and export them in XMP sidecar files for camera RAW formats. Unfortunately if you export XMP sidecar files it overwrites any existing files including the Adobe XMP sidecars that contain ACR settings.

Most of the time I only need to to go one direction with RAW files using these apps: Photo Mechanic > Adobe Lightroom > Expression Media. Unfortunately there is no roundtrip metadata for *all* these apps when it comes to Ratings and Color Labels.

-- Robert.

ronandownes

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »

Thank you so much Roberto,

I am about to do some testing.

I take your point that usually it should be one way workflow but in my case thisgs are a bit chaeticc so I ned to use expression media to do asame labeling and rating.

But so long as I convert my Nefs to DNGs from wha tyou are saig I think I should nbe okay.

Ronan

Does this mean rank and file is side stepped/ integrated into the program preferences now and not needed as a stand alone.
I own it but loast it. I am very confident as  do own it Peter will be understanding of me attaining a aback up from another forum members. After all honesty and fisdelity is what our community is about and as well I must consider speed.

Maybe I do not even need it but if someonwe mails it to ronan@ronanphoto.com I will be able toreply with Peters confirmation that I did buy it some time back if he does not confirm that here.

Thank you all.
Ronan
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 03:03:59 PM »

Hi Ronan,

Actually metadata should be roundtrip and the Metadata Working Group is a step in the right direction. With the apps you listed ratings and color labels are best handled in one direction.

DNG is a bit of a religious leap. Make sure you understand the costs and benefits before the baptism.

I'm sure if you contact DAMuseful with the email address and receipt from PayPal they'll look after you.

-- Robert.

ronandownes

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 03:19:51 PM »

DNG is a bit of a religious leap. Make sure you understand the costs and benefits before the baptism.

Even when out for a family drive today my head was doing the acrobatics for this one.

I got a feeling that NEF should be the collateral until job fullfilement and maybe into the post job sales but taht eventually they should be converted to DNG.

I just don't really remember why! I happen to kinfd of need to know why otherwise I don't feel in control of my workflow?

On the one way thing. CAn I say that if I avoid ranking and rating in expression I will do fine . I find toggling through previews too slow anyway in EM and prefer to pop out to PM.

Having said this not all clollections will have a directory correspondance so really the power of catalloging requires back flow surely-

Is Rank and File my answer?R

Ronan

hey Peter please come back online! I am missing my Rank and File!!

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:39:13 PM »

Ronan,
Rank and File is not needed for rating stars, but Labels Bridge/Lightroom Labels are not seen by iView/Expresssion. You will want to transfer to Keywords. You can do that manually (select all images with a label and assign a keyword) or you can use Rank and File.

As to DNG, Robert is being cautious here, I think. It greatly simplifies multi-application workflow, since embedded metadata can't get out of sync with sidecar metadata, since there's no sidecar.

Peter
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »

Hi Ronan,

My caution is your choice of raw converters narrows when you choose to go DNG *only*. Naturally it is best supported by Adobe products (and ACR is good) but competition for raw converters is essential. DNG 1.2 offers other hooks that should attract more raw converters to support the file format.

If you are happy with Adobe Camera Raw then it just makes good sense to use DNG. Its main strengths are DAM and as an archival file format for raw files DNG is safer than proprietary camera raws. Personally I archive camera raws to DVDs just like Peter's bucket system. My DNGs are stored on hard drives and DVDs. With the new MD5 hash in DNG 1.2 the latter may not be necessary but I'll still keep my camera raws on DVD. Just in case.

-- Robert.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: